Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy checking in... kinda wordy. page 2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Small updated photo from Saturday. The wife and I went to the lake for a 6.5 mile hike. This picture was taken about 3 miles in I think.

I got sick last week and slacking ensued. Wife and I have still been sticking to primal eating but the exercise has suffered. No walks last week at all. Went on another hike Sunday which felt good. I got back into my pullups, pushups, leg lifts last night. So even though I slacked off for a week I don't feel that I went backward, I just stayed where I was and now I can continue working toward my goals.

Bought some new hiking boots last night as well. Can't wait to put those to use in the next week or two.

The wife and I decided to join a rock climbing gym last night! We will not have time to put it to use until this weekend but we were inclined to sign up yesterday because it was the last day of 75% off the initiation fee. I'm totally stoked. I've never done anything like this before but I have always wanted to. Here's hoping I can stay motivated and positive.

We took the intro to climbing class last night and then climbed around for a couple of hours. It was a great time and we both did fairly well. I can't wait to go back! I can tell that this is going to be a major workout for my forearms and my grip.

Update...

We've been climbing about 2 times per week and have started walking in the mornings now (it is usually over 100 degrees after work). I picked up Starting Strength and I am planning on starting my lifting program in the next couple or weeks, I just want to read some more first.

I suppose it will be time to start a journal at that time. I'll link it here in case anybody is interested.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

gregorsa is offline Junior Member
    Great story, inspiring. I'm just starting primal WOE but I've been fit using many of the same things as you, p90x, running, hiking. Recently started lifting heavy using Stronglifts 5 x 5. There is a free app. Very easy program, easier to me than the Starting Strength book, but I own that as well and it is a great reference for form. Stronglifts is 3 exercises per workout, and you increase the weight lifted by 5 lbs each session. I have a broken foot right now so I cant lift or run, boo- but while on the Stronglifts program I was able to progress from squatting 25 lbs to 110 in a little over a month, deadlift from 45 to 165, bench press went from 35 to 75 (I'm a woman) I'm looking forward to incorporating Stronglifts with the rest of my PB fitness program. The program is free and online, no books, but YouTube videos for instructions are available. The guy who runs it squats about 400 lbs at 165 lbs, and used to be skinny fat. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorsa View Post
    Great story, inspiring. I'm just starting primal WOE but I've been fit using many of the same things as you, p90x, running, hiking. Recently started lifting heavy using Stronglifts 5 x 5. There is a free app. Very easy program, easier to me than the Starting Strength book, but I own that as well and it is a great reference for form. Stronglifts is 3 exercises per workout, and you increase the weight lifted by 5 lbs each session. I have a broken foot right now so I cant lift or run, boo- but while on the Stronglifts program I was able to progress from squatting 25 lbs to 110 in a little over a month, deadlift from 45 to 165, bench press went from 35 to 75 (I'm a woman) I'm looking forward to incorporating Stronglifts with the rest of my PB fitness program. The program is free and online, no books, but YouTube videos for instructions are available. The guy who runs it squats about 400 lbs at 165 lbs, and used to be skinny fat. It works.
    That is awesome that you are lifting heavy! I think I finally have my wife convinced to give it a shot as well.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    Update...

We've been climbing about 2 times per week and have started walking in the mornings now (it is usually over 100 degrees after work). I picked up Starting Strength and I am planning on starting my lifting program in the next couple or weeks, I just want to read some more first.

I suppose it will be time to start a journal at that time. I'll link it here in case anybody is interested.
    Yes, start a journal and link. How can I not follow someone with a Spidey icon!

Well done on joining the climbing gym, something I've never done. As a kid I was all into the climbing - trees, rocks, beach cliffs etc. Maybe something I'll think about for the future.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12