Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scared....too scared to start...*sigh* page

Neraida is offline Junior Member

scared....too scared to start...*sigh*

Primal Fuel
    hello...???...ok..I feel like its the first day at school...I cant say I just saw the light on and walked in because I have been popping in and out this forum for the last couple of months reading until my eyes pop out...getting lots of inspiration from the success stories...ordering the book ..and I just have to say you are all so amazing!!!!!
    The support system that you provide is just extraordinary !! ...BUT....there is something stoping me from just going ahead changing to primal...
    First I have to say that I am 32 year old female ,1.78cm height and 79kg....I have gained ten kg in a course of two years after starting work from home!...also I have always had stomach problems due to dairy,egg and wheat intolerances ...so yeah...I am pretty scared in case I fail it ,in case I am not doing it right and the weight doesnt change ...even though it sounds simple enough I still get confused ....how did you all know how to start and how did you succeed...???..is there a helpful meal planner?
    how did you feel..was there someone helping you...???

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I started here, and then read Mark's book. I had some experience eating this way before, as the Primal Blueprint is quite similar in many ways to the Anti-inflammatory Diet which I had done for a while under my doctor's supervision in order to identify my food allergies. Both promote eating whole, fresh foods and eliminating processed foods.

If going 100% Primal scares you, why not just make one change at a time? If I did nothing else, I would avoid wheat. You probably already do, since you said you have a wheat intolerance. So maybe next would be to 100% avoid all processed foods. Or strive to cut all sugar out of your diet except fruit. Or maybe instead of cutting something, you could make it a goal to add something. Such as eat a BAS (Big Azz Salad) every day for lunch. Something like that. Make one change a week until you are as Primal as you want to be. Not everyone goes fully primal. Many of us continue to eat rice and potatoes, as an example. Some are more hardcore. Do what makes you feel best.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Yup! What EagleRiverDee said!

Don't be intimidated by trying to do everything at once. Start by picking one thing to cut and/or add. Maybe since you seem to have started gaining weight since you started working at home maybe you need to pick an exercise goal too! (I'm assuming that you perhaps move around less now that you work at home)

As far as meal planning goes, Mark offers a meal planning service I think and there is also PaleoPlan.com. I've used their meal planning and it's decent. I had to adjust things a bit since all their planning is for 2 people and I've got just me to feed but it wasn't too bad. That can be a handy way to help the transition, get some recipe ideas (all their recipes are free on line anyway, pus you can google TONS of stuff) and a shopping list so it isn't too crazy.

And keep in mind that the whole thing is a process. You'll have to play with it until it works for you. Lots of folks find themselves using a paleo crutch as they get started. You give you your doritos (or whatever) but you still want a snack right? So a lot of folks head for the nuts. It's really easy to overdo it on nuts. But thats ok. Don't stress about that at first. Be ok with having a crutch while you get the rest of the diet sorted out. For me the nuts just kinda fixed themselves after a while. But I figure it's better to munch on a paleo ok snack while you get it all working and THEN you can fix the snacking by diverting it to something less super-powerhouse-mega-food then nuts are.

And one last thing. If you find it helpful, start a journal on here, post your ideas, your goals, ask your questions, etc. You'll get some support (but you'll also get people who are WAY over zealous about the details so you'll have to handle sorting out the useful suggestions from the advanced tweaks!) and all the answers you get will be in one place so you can come back and re-read older posts to see where you might want to try something.

Good luck!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. And then another step, and another.

The good thing about this WOE is that it is not absolute. There is no one set way, no right, and very few wrongs. It is all about trusting in yourself and finding what works for you. Take one small change at a time. If something doesn't work, well, change it!

You hold the power.

PseudoDiva is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. And then another step, and another.

The good thing about this WOE is that it is not absolute. There is no one set way, no right, and very few wrongs. It is all about trusting in yourself and finding what works for you. Take one small change at a time. If something doesn't work, well, change it!

You hold the power.
    What she said. Don't be afraid of failure. Start with one habit, like no processed foods. DO NOT allow yourself to think of anything else. Then add another habit.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    it is a tricky question indeed

what are your goals? if it's to lose and keep off the 10kg you have gained, what timescale do you have?

Have you tried fasting?

I would start by increasing your green leafy veg intake, eliminate grains altogether, start eating grass fed meat, wild fish and game and adding good fats like grass fed butter and evco, fish oil and so on

Neraida is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for such inspiring answers...so true..one step at a time...and today I made the first step with breakfast which was yummy bacon and avocado....My goals are to lose the 10 kilos that I have gained and to find peace with my stomach problems,,,and my eczema which is caused by some of my eating habits --->chocolate .....I always keep my meals protein and vegetables but I do overdose on good quality chocolate..hmm ok and some cookies which is what has brought me to this problem....
    I havent tried fasting either...I am really new to all this but I hope that with time I will try it too...

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Hi Neraida

Good on you !!

I have food intolerances....I ahve the things you describe...and a few more nasties added in for good measure....and I have to say....since going Primal I have not felt this healthy in years......

You go girl !!!!!!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neraida View Post
    how did you all know how to start and how did you succeed...???..is there a helpful meal planner?
    how did you feel..was there someone helping you...???
    Hi Neraida, welcome. I found that once I had read some of the starter articles here that it really was ever so easy to start with this way of eating. I cleaned out my pantry from obviously nonprimal food such as anything processed or containing grains and then concentrated on buying meat and veges, along with some fruit and nuts.

I didn't find a particular meal planner but generally tried to create my meals based around some kind of protein (eg pork, chicken, beef, lamb), one or two colourful vegetables ( eg carrots and broccoli, kumara and cauliflower, pumpkin and cabbage, silverbeet and mushrooms, etc etc) with butter to add flavour and calories so as not to overdo carbs since my goal was weight loss.

So that would be dinner, with enough leftovers for lunch the next day. Breakfast is usually eggs and veges, but you could use bacon instead. Or eat your leftovers for breakfast and have a salad for lunch. Keeping it simple helps a lot at first until you get the hang of it. It is also good to have something primal around to have for snacks when the urge strikes so you don't gravitate back to the old junk. Berries and coconut cream, nuts, dark chocolate for example.

I didn't find anything to be scared about, the plan sounded like it would work and the only way to find out for sure was to try it. I felt very positive knowing that I was being proactive about my health and almost straight away I started experiencing great results so I just kept doing it.

If I needed help I would post a question here and people are usually very helpful.

So I would say, don't let confusion deter you from giving primal a go. We all learn as we go but as you have already realised the basics are pretty simple. If you are serious about reclaiming your health (and only you know for sure whether that is the case) then it's well worth the effort of learning to change your ways for the sake of the potential benefits.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just eat - I'm sure you done that before

Fasting? You haven't started eating yet Dont over think it - it's just food and it wont bite back.

Don't worry about goals/kilos/gaining/losing being perfect just do it with or without mistakes - after a week or two (for four) you'll adjust things if required - there no such thing as pass/fail (even if nothing changes or you gain a kilo in a month - who cares? it just practice and you'll soon get it right)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast