Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scared....too scared to start...*sigh* page 2

kathyd is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Neraida - I'm new here too...

I've been doing this for a few months now and can't even think about fasting yet. I'm just not there yet.

As others have said - keep it simple. Don't overthink it. Keep plenty of primal snacks around - like hard boiled eggs and jerky. When you're hungry - eat!

The first couple weeks, don't even think about trying to lose weight or counting anything. Get used to this way of eating first - get over the carb flu (if you get it) etc. Then you can tweak as you go. And maybe after you start feeling better, you can add some exercise which will make you feel even better about yourself.

Good Luck!

Kathy
    Last edited by kathyd; 04-09-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Neraida is offline Junior Member
    Such great advice from everyone and it keeps coming in...I have printed all of them to read everyday for motivation...
    its good to know that I am in the same boat as other people who have intolerances and are also new here
    today went really well..its night time for me as I am on the other side of the world ...I kept it very simple...and kept my snacks with me for the hour of need ..even though I didn't really feel much like snacking after my big azz salad...yummy!!!!!
    do most of you keep to the same foods???

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I would try to committ to not weighing yourself for the first month. Working at home you are actually in an enviable position of many. You can eat when you are hungry, with no clock dictating when that is. Plus you don't have to worry about side-ways glances over the amount/type of food you're eating. I only briefly skimmed the other posts, but I agree about the idea of jumping right in.

Start by eliminating that which you know causes you the most trouble... wheat. Committ to giving that up for 2 weeks straight, and focus on just that. After you've adjusted to that, start implementing some of the other things. You will likely find that after you give up the wheat your appetite will regulate a bit more. And only then should you consider fasting. But overall, eat when hungry until just barely full. Then eat again when hungry. As a female, this will fluctuate likely according to your cycle, but also your daily activity level.

Assuming you're working at a computer most of the day, one easy step will be to incorporate more movement into your day. Whether it's a lap around your house every X minutes or push-ups/plans, etc throughout the day. Maybe as you change your diet, pick 1 fitness goal at a time to slowly add into your life.

For many people, the incremental changes are better than changing everything all at once. But others find the opposite to be true. Good luck with your journey as you figure out what suits you best.

teach2183 thank you for your advice...wheat is definitely a no no and I don't think I will miss it after what it has been causing me...what worries me is----> eat when I am hungry..should I opt for the fat ??like an avocado or coconut oil or olives???
    ( I cant have eggs ).....

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Yup, go for something fatty that you like - I have an inch cube of parmesan, a handful of nuts (cashews and macadamias) and some really good olives, or whipped double cream with a few nuts... an avocado would do though too.

teach is right, eat until 'just barely full' - I use the rule "I could eat more but i'm satisfied for now" knowing that if I get hungry I can eat some more.

Also, agree about weighing only once a month or even 6 weeks and about going straight in as much as possible so that means getting rid of grains and most starches and a lot of fruit and getting into meat, fat, veggies

good luck

Thanks Katsuhiko ...I have never owned scales so I will go by my clothes ..eventually I will try weighing at some point so that I know my fat amount.....
    Snacking on fat sounds good to me.....thanks for the ideas....

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Fear of failure is often just a cover for fear of success. There's a lot of responsibility with success. It means you really do have to make a change. It means you have to keep it up. It means you will lose all your comforting excuses for the failure you currently enjoy. It may mean that there are other things you know you could change in your life.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

"comforting excuses "
    This really is the reason of all trouble!!!Comforting excuses that I keep playing on repeat in my head!!!
    time to throw away that old tape and get serious with change.....
    sbhikes you have come a long way with your changes..you are looking amazing !!!!!!
    what helped you to adjust to this change if you don't mind me asking...

Strong_as_Oak is offline Junior Member
    Like most have said , you don't have to go 100% straight away. Take baby steps. Change one thing, then when comfortable add another step, then another. There is No time limit on a lifestyle change.

The Tribe is hear for you, and will give you as much or as little support as you require.

Strong as Oak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm brand new too-we can do this in baby steps together For weight loss, check out the alternate day intermittent fasting thread in the nutrition section (JUDDD). I lost almost 40lbs by doing this plan and I'm now in maintenance. I did it while not eating primal, but you can easily combine the two

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast