Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you all really educate yourselves page 2

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Kellog is a listed company. You could check Kellog's annual report to get more information on where and how much they spend.
    Form 10-K - Kellogg Online Annual Report 2011
    Few but ripe.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    All of the advice is excellent: dig through google, find multiple reputable sources, and use your brain to think through things.

Another important note, however, is what to AVOID when educating yourself:

For the most part, anything that's on TV or another nationally syndicated public media is complete and utter bullshit. Your best off completely removing these sources of "information" from your personal radar.

I'd also be careful to avoid any "studies" supported by large corporations, as typically the study is quite biased due to money involved.

And, like always, distrust your government
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    After awhile you will realize how big a waste of time all the research is. For what? So you can tell people that don't care? You know the principles: eat whole foods, avoid grains and processed oils, walk, sprint and lift heavy things and get a good nights sleep. I used to be consumed with research then I realized there are far better ways to spend my time. Ultimately, nobody cares what you think about all this shit anyways... A tad cynical I guess .
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

BeatMD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    After awhile you will realize how big a waste of time all the research is. For what? So you can tell people that don't care? You know the principles: eat whole foods, avoid grains and processed oils, walk, sprint and lift heavy things and get a good nights sleep. I used to be consumed with research then I realized there are far better ways to spend my time. Ultimately, nobody cares what you think about all this shit anyways... A tad cynical I guess .
    I've actually kind of noticed that with my friends. I'm a 24 year old college student, they all think I'm nuts.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I'm basically reading books, each of which seems to send me to two or more other books. If I want more detail I google for blogs and discussions and look at the links to papers and reports to get an idea of the sources. My to-read stack of books is still growing!

BeatMD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    I'm basically reading books, each of which seems to send me to two or more other books. If I want more detail I google for blogs and discussions and look at the links to papers and reports to get an idea of the sources. My to-read stack of books is still growing!
    Yea so far I have read
    The Paleo Solution
    The Primal Blueprint &
    It Starts With Food

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatMD View Post
    Yea so far I have read
    The Paleo Solution
    The Primal Blueprint &
    It Starts With Food
    If you want ideas for more reading, so far I have read:

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek
    Wheat Belly by William Davis
    why we get fat and what to do about it by Gary Taubes
    Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
    The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain
    Could it be B12? by Susan Pacholok
    The Meat Fix by John Nicholson
    The Fibre Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky

Still reading:
    Trick and Treat by Barry Groves
    The Vitamin D solution by Michael Holick
    The Primal Connection by Mark Sisson

Still to read:
    Pure, White and Deadly by John Yudkin
    The Great Cholesterol Con by Malcolm Kendrick
    Devil in the Milk by Keith Woodford
    The art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek
    Vitamin K2 and the Calcium paradox by Kate Rheaume-Bleue

I didn't think that much of:
    UltraMetabolism by Mark Hyman, because he seemed to change his mind about whether carbs were in general good or bad, depending on what he wanted to prove. Put me off reading the other 2 in the series I'd bought. Maybe one day I'll be bored!

Angelo Coppola is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Great to see you posting here Angelo. I have listened to probably all of your Latest in Paleo and This week in Paleo podcasts. I have also listened to Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser and UGWellness. Your podcast is very polished and very well put together. I am always entertained by the different segments as well as the "after the bell" segments. Thanks for what you do, Namaste!
    Heya, Balance -- that's awesome. Glad to hear you're enjoying the show. I'm about to start a sabbatical at work to focus on writing, recording, and some personal health challenges. So there should be much volume that what has been typical lately.

Namaste!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Coppola View Post
    Heya, Balance -- that's awesome. Glad to hear you're enjoying the show. I'm about to start a sabbatical at work to focus on writing, recording, and some personal health challenges. So there should be much volume that what has been typical lately.

Namaste!
    Excellent Angelo! I am really glad. I know you had a lot of stuff going on over the past 12 months and you couldn't put out as much material as you would have liked to. I am stoked about all the upcoming podcasts and blog postings. I know a lot of your listeners appreciate it as do I. Namaste
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes common sence has to prevail too. Why would they really need a proof. Wheat and HFCS are cheap. All that prime time (and all TV ad time) ain't cheap.
    One of the reasons i avoid watching tv as much as possible, commersials for fast and other processed foods followed by ad for a medication. Over and over and....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast