Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypersensitivity to Caffeine page

lorenmark is offline Junior Member

Hypersensitivity to Caffeine

I believe I have somehow developed a hypersensitivity to caffeine, stimulants and even carbohydrates.

The smallest amount of caffeine, like 1/4 cup of coffee or a small cup of green tea, seems to throw my digestion out-of-whack and make me miserable and irritable.

I've had to remain very low carb, otherwise my digestion is horrible, carbohydrates seem to have a similar reaction - just not quite as quick. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I used to love having my morning cup of tea, but my body is signaling it's a major no-no. It's time I quite the caffeine for good.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    Interested in reading other responses.

I have something similar to me with green tea. I used to drink it a lot daily but now I can't handle it. It dehydrates me fast and leaves me feeling with less energy. I haven't touched it in a whiilllee. I'm fine with coffee and cacao though.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I've found that the less caffeine I consume, the more sensitive I get to it. I used to make fun of my dad cuz he says he can't eat chocolate after 6 PM or it keeps him up, but now I have the same problem! I can't tolerate coffee at all, when I used to drink a ton of it. Most mornings I still have a cup of green tea, but it makes me shaky and sometimes gives me headaches... I don't need caffeine like I used to, though, so I think it's a positive development! If I have my morning green tea with food and I don't steep it very long I'm usually okay. But there are plenty of good decaf teas out there... I like Choice's Rooibos Chai with lemon and lime juice.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I don't have the carbohydrate sensitivity, but do have the caffeine issue. I drank coffee like it was going out of style for years and years - then one day about ten years ago a medium double-dark coffee sent me to the hospital with heart palpitations and since then I've had issues with it. For the first few years I couldn't have any caffeine at all. Now I can have one cup of green or white tea or a few sips of black tea or coffee, and I can have a couple squares of dark chocolate without much of an effect if I do it early enough in the day.

At the same time that my body decided it no longer liked caffeine it also decided it didn't like any other stimulants, so I can no longer take any kind of decongestants, etc. Now that I live more naturally I'm fine with it (even when I had the worst flu of my life earlier this year!), but before my issues started I took a Sudafed most nights so it was a shock when I couldn't do that any longer.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Coffee makes me sick, but it has nothing to do with the caffeine. Decaf makes me sick, too, and I'm fine with other sources of caffeine.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I have a caffeine sensitivity. I get anxious and irritable once the energy and shakiness has worn off. I have to be careful of what teas I drink because of this.

I am curious what carbohydrates in particular you are eating that you have noticed this response to.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I also have a caffeine sensitivity which is a shame because I love coffee. Tea doesn't affect me but coffee does. I don't even try things like Red Bull or whatever, I know better. I've found that coffee causes me to feel hypoglycemic. I have never checked my blood sugar as it's happening, but I end up feeling very low energy, shaky, rapid heart beat. Stuff like that.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

tdugmen is offline Junior Member
    I don't have anything diagnosed, but caffeine (either half a cup of coffee or a whole cup of tea) makes me jitterish, sends my heartbeat speed up through the roof and in general makes me act like if I was as high as the sky. Then I can't sleep for a day or so...

Paleobird Guest
    I drank coffee like it was going out of style in college until one night I ended up having a seizure and I've had them ever since. I have to be really careful about caffeine as in a zero tolerance policy.

There is a product called Teeccino that I really love as a coffee substitute. They have a grain free blend now too.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I drank coffee like it was going out of style in college until one night I ended up having a seizure and I've had them ever since. I have to be really careful about caffeine as in a zero tolerance policy.

There is a product called Teeccino that I really love as a coffee substitute. They have a grain free blend now too.
    Viral alert

The more caffeine you consume, the less sensitive you are to it. When I was 6, caffeine sure made me anxious and bouncy. Now, I drink it for clarity.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 04-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast