Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypersensitivity to Caffeine page 2

I've always been very sensitive to sugar and suffered from horrible hypoglycemic episodes if I ate anything too sweet (a single truffle once triggered it!) but now I eat pretty clean, any quick digesting carbs or other stimulants make me feel ill as well. I would never go back though, I used to have low blood sugar problems on my way home from work several times a week but I never knew what it was. Now its very rare for me to suffer any problems unless I'm travelling or eating out and can't be as careful as normal.

Sugar is my nicotine...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The more caffeine you consume, the less sensitive you are to it. When I was 6, caffeine sure made me anxious and bouncy. Now, I drink it for clarity.
    Yes, the process is called addiction. I have plenty of clarity just fine without any chemical assistance.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    I was a tea granny long before I was an actual granny, but never touched coffee and wasn't a real chocolate addict. I drank black tea for years, then pounds of yerba mate. But suddenly I couldn't sleep at night and settled on caffeine as the culprit. I can still have a teabag of regular tea for breakfast, and eat dark chocolate as a dessert, but any caffeine after lunch has me chasing mental sheep for hours after bedtime. I developed a cappuccino addiction that I rarely indulge because a bad night's sleep is dangerous to my health - literally.

lorenmark is offline Junior Member
    Namelesswonder - Basically all carbs give me digestion problems (gas, bloating, diarrhea, ect)

The paleo diet with restricted fruit has definitely helped, although before I went paleo I tried a vegan diet and I had diarrhea everyday straight for 8 weeks (thinking my body was "detoxing"). I'm pretty sure I have a viscous case of fungal overgrowth and some pretty bad digestive dysbiosis. I'm taking 30 bil probiotics, Vit D, fishoil and a digestive enzyme every time I eat. This has helped quite a bit, but if I drink even the smallest amount of caffeine - none of my dietary changes make any difference, it's straight back to diarrhea.

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm both celiac and fructose intolerant which makes my choices for food options pretty limited - but thank god I'm getting better.

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    @lorenmark - I have the same symptoms that you're having, except I think I found the cause of mine. I pretty much had daily diarrhea for 10 years, I of course ended up with various conditions caused by poor nutrition. I saw various doctors, all sorts of lab work, scoped at both ends. They basically said I must have IBS and gave me an anti-diarrhea medication (which didn't really work) and sent me on my way. Doctors really, really don't like dealing with patients they can't help, it makes them look stupid (no comment).

My problems probably stemmed from Fructose Mal-absorption. This led to a Candida infection and IBS. The Candida I cured with a low carb diet and Candida Clear. Going low carb also took care of the fructose lam-absorption but at the time I just thought it was either the carbs or gluten. It was when I started adding things back like ketchup (high fructose corn syrup) and apples that I made the connection. Even iceburg lettuce sets me off so when that caused diarrhea, and I found out it was fairly high in fructose, I knew what my problem was. Fructose.

The problem is that years of Un-absorbed fructose washing through my intestine and candida in the intestine has caused IBS. If I totally avoid fructose I'm mostly OK but still have to avoid caffeine, lactose, and heavily spiced foods. I take a stomach acid replacement / digestive enzyme pill with large meals to make sure things get digested well (which helps with the IBS). I'm now OK most of the time.

If you think this might be part of the problem (or just want to try it) fix the Candida, take a stomach acid replacement / digestive enzyme (chances are the cells that produce stomach acid are damaged), quit ALL excess fructose, avoid all caffeine sources, avoid anything else that causes you issues (lactose, sugar alcohols, etc). Give the no fructose 14 days (after fixing the candida) and you should have your answer.

btw: If fructose mal-abosorption is your problem you can really mess up your GI for up to 2 weeks. The fructose gets washed in to your intestine where it doesn't belong, and if you react violently like I do, so does undigested food and stomach acid. Your intestines are not happy with this and need time to heal. I don't always react this badly to fructose but when I do I know I'm going to have issues for at least a week, sometimes two. Of course pure Paleo can also fix most of these problems, but I never would have thought that lettuce or an apple quarter could cause me problems.
    ================
    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It seems that a cup of coffee now keeps me awake for 2 nights in a row, so I dropped coffee and don't miss it. I brew one tbsp of green tea in a tiny tea pot and it lasts me for 6 or so mugs I normally drink in the evening after supper. I dilute it with water a lot, obviously. No ill effects & no problem with cocoa nibs (maybe a tbsp or so a day).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InLimbo is offline Junior Member
    Same issues here, brother. My digestion sucks, and I'm very sensitive to caffeine and carbs, as well as sugar. Do you ever go into sweats from eating carbs? If so, you may have insulin resistance, as I do. Also, take a look into adrenal fatigue as a possible reason as to why you're so sensitive. I have bad adrenal issues.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I don't have much, if any issues with caffeine. My biggest issue is that it is a wonderful diuretic for me. Heh. So taking it right before bed might not be wise for me less because the caffeine itself keeps me alert and awake, but I find myself getting up every little bit to take a piss.

I don't tend to get shakes or nervousness or restlessness or the like, nor does it seem to effect my digestion. I guess I am kind of lucky that way.

As much of it as I drink though, I am conscious to the fact that it can be abused and force myself to take detox days/weeks from it when I think I may have been using a bit too much of it lately.

kiks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
    Same issues here, brother. My digestion sucks, and I'm very sensitive to caffeine and carbs, as well as sugar. Do you ever go into sweats from eating carbs? If so, you may have insulin resistance, as I do. Also, take a look into adrenal fatigue as a possible reason as to why you're so sensitive. I have bad adrenal issues.
    I too am very sensitive to caffeine as well as sugars. As for insulin resistance, how to you measure this? I am thinking adrenal fatigue plays a role in my sensitivities.

InLimbo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For PHENOMENAL info on adrenal fatigue, check out drlam. com and adrenalfatigue. org. My insulin resistance is self-diagnosed (ate TREMENDOUS amounts of sugar/simple carbs for years and drank like a fish due to brutally weak adrenals) by the fact that I sweat after eating too many carbs. It does seem to be improving after altering my diet bigtime. Steamed veggies, mixed nuts, the only meat I eat is fish (other meat affects me) and plantains. Those carbs I am able to handle as long as I don't go overboard. My adrenals are slowly healing due to vitamin C and magnesium supplementation. When I feel i'm able, I'm going to re-add iodine (1 drop 3x per week) and vitamin B-5 to boost me to the next level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast