Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Occasional Binge eating page

tibofox is offline Junior Member

Occasional Binge eating

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I would like to ask a question on the topic of binge eating
    I'm a fit, active teen male who seems to love eating way too much. I eat primal, and sometimes eat korg-foods (i know i shouldn't, but this one's my concern!)
    My main two pleasures in life are food and sport.
    When it comes to food, I often have a much higher appetite than hunger. I will often eat out of pleasure rather than hunger. It's like the carb addiction concept (but with primal foods), having to feed my brain's pleasure centres.
    Usually, when the food tastes good and i'm full, i often think "hey that was delicious, gonna have some more!" (eating crap foods isn't an option; french family )
    I also am horrible at listening to my body's hunger signals, whether it's real hunger, or stomach pain, or whatever it could be. I always lean towards 'hunger' because my appetite is always strong
    So basically, i often eat too much due to liking the food and my appetite needing to be fulfilled, rather than hunger. And if I don't eat something in particular, or don't finish my plate, I often feel that I will miss out, having to wait until next time I eat or something like that. I eat very quickly, and I'm trying to work on that.
    My question(s):
    It sounds stupid, but is there a way I can reduce and control appetite so that I know when to stop, and do so?
    Could meal timing be helpful? I am content with a big breakfast and big dinner, but I thought that the Warrior Diet could be of help, if anyone has any input on that? The problem is, when I try, I think about food even without being necessarily hungry, or I think "10 hours until I can eat steak" etc..
    Much appreciated for the answers, and thank you!
    P.S. Loving MDA, have read MANY articles and have browsed the forums a few times, but I wanted something specific to my concerns.
    Merci!
    Last edited by tibofox; 04-08-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    We are often required to eat well beyond satiety to meet our bodies' actual needs. Just because your stomach can only hold a gallon of food and will tell you it is full does NOT mean that your body does not require the extra food volume or nutrition. I have always, and will always, eat like a man, because I want to be strong like a man. Do not think you have to be dainty and follow food rules about when to stop eating, many such rules are totally unsuitable for people with a lot of muscles or who are very active and strong otherwise. I've lost 45/50-ish pounds on PB while gaining muscle and improving my health, and I never ever stopped myself from eating when I could still eat more. If you are healthy and feeling good digestively, never think you have to eat less or stop eating at some point because someone else told you to. That can make you weak, give you cravings, lead to loss of strength, and set up the environment for food disorders. Better to be an over-eater (by far! Look at the victorian study!) than an under-eater (think wasting vegans).

Yes, warrior diet (Or just one huge meal a day) works really well for most big eaters. In fact, light eaters struggle to stay fed on such a plan, while normal, hungry people like you and me tend to do great.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 04-08-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to eat my fill (don't like being stuffed) and if I am not satiated just wait a little while and then eat some more, sometimes I will eat several portions of the same food over a 4 or 5 hour period until I get the sensation that I am satiated but I wouldn't binge and eat all that same food in one sitting

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A binge is not an optional thing. If you can think about it and say, hey, I think I'll eat some more of this because it tastes good, it isn't really a binge. It's just overeating.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem, I was raised with a healthy (maybe unhealthy?) love for food. One thing that has helped me a lot is fasting and feasting. I try to restrict my eating window between 2:00 and 10:00 most days, and sometimes use a much smaller window. 24 hour fast really teach you the difference between hunger and appetite, and the primal potato diet really helped me to realize how much I was eating when not hungry.

Another thing that has helped me is to only keep primal food around the house. If I over eat on apples and full-fat greek yoghurt, it's still not that bad! Don't succumb to the crappy stuff, keep it primal and you'll feel loads better.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tibofox View Post
    I'm a fit, active teen male who seems to love eating way too much.
    No need to worry about the amount of food you're eating. You're a teenager, which means that your body is probably still growing. Since you're fit and active, I really don't see what you're worried about. Don't start restricting food intake and risk depriving your body of the nutrients it needs to grow properly. Just focus on eating healthy, nutritious foods. Occasional cheats are probably okay as well.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's important to differentiate binging from overeating.
    I used to overeat about 4-5 days, usually in a row right before the time of the month. I know that you are male. It doesn't matter though. I have come to find out that my overeating was triggered by not enough carbs in my diet.
    It's been over 2 months since I increased my carbs, and I haven't had a single compulsion to over eat, yet.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's you body's way of asking for more nutrients and macros...since you say you play sports?
    Experiment with over eating past fullness and watch if you start gaining too much fat or if your weight remains normal.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I know when I overeat for a few days on end, my muscles grow a bit. My abs haven't disappeared except for bloat when I flirt with carby, starchy food like root vegetables, but it goes away in a few days.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    if you are an active, fit teen male, eating only 2x per day, i think you might actually need more food. you may need more protein, more fat, more carbs -- something. you're growing. eat. juggle the macros a bit and see what happens.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast