Thread: Attempting my triumphant return! page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Attempting my triumphant return!

Hi all,

I joined this forum back in July 2012, I think. It was after a road trip through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado where I found myself eating primarily ranch beef/buffalo without simple carbs and noticed how great I felt. I dove into Primal Living and thought I had found what works for me. More energy, got my period back (I'm 47), lost the belly bloating.

Life intervenes: Chronic injury/condition forced me to drop heavy lifting (for now?) and I had to quit my cross-fit/boot camp-like work out group of friends (too expensive to just do half way; plus it just ticked me off to not participate fully). Sugar creeps in because I live with 4 others who are not primal. Stuff like that.

Now, it is April and I am all over the place. I am still basically grain free. I'm trying to regain the enthusiasm I had last year. Period gone since December.

Question: How do people stay Primal when they are the only family member living Primal? I am the cook, so I do control the food that goes on the table. It is more the lack of comaraderie and support that takes me off course. I wish my husband was on board, but he is an MD and a cardiac patient (takes a statin despite having a pretty good lipid panel: just slightly elevated LDL but strong family history of cardiac disease). He thinks he knows more than li'l ole me so he won't even consider coconut oil being anything but a death wish. Avocado scares him and grass fed beef gives him palpitations. It just gets old.

So, this is attempt #2. The kids are considering mutiny after I downloaded the Monsanto GMO product list and cleaned out the pantry (I was proud to have only a handful of GMO brands listed). I will continue to cook for them while making sure there is something for me in the mix. Example from last night: Thai chicken tacos but I used lettuce as a wrap instead of a tortilla. Homemade mac/cheese but I didn't eat it.

I find, once again, I get my encouragement from a Forum. From a bunch of strangers. Hmmmph. Not to make you feel bad or anything. I guess I just wish it were different.

So, onward and upward? Here's to recovering my happy place and regaining motivation. Time to find joy in my "Black Sheep" status in the family once again (I've been the weird one for years now. haha)!

Thanks for listening.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I definitely know how hard it is when people you are around every day don't support your lifestyle and dietary choices. Luckily for me my boyfriend is on board, so we support each other, but almost everyone else that knows how I eat thinks it's incredibly strange and some sort of "fad" diet that I will eventually ditch for a standard American diet (even though it's been almost 2 years since I took the plunge into primal).

With that said, there's nothing wrong with getting support from strangers if everyone shares your values and viewpoints. I didn't join this forum until just a few months ago, but I wish I had much, much sooner. It's really nice to be able to ask questions that you know will be understood, and get relevant, meaningful answers and support, rather than "oh that silly diet you're on" kind of stuff.

If you can start leading by example by eating and living according to the primal blueprint, your family may become more interested and accepting of the lifestyle once they see how good you feel all the time. It's hard to change people's opinions, but sometimes seeing is believing. Good luck to you!

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hi PHaselow,

Sounds like a tough position to be in, but when they see the changes start to happen they might well think again. In the meantime, any support is better than none. I think it's a relief be accepted, even by strangers.

I love your Goal. Me too! If it wasn't for my father's mental problems he'd be a pretty fit 93 yr old, so I have a good example to live up to.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It amazes me. One would think that docs and nurses would be the people most up on the latest nutritional research. Yet they have a kind of smug attitude towards nutrition. You'd think that if there's a Dr Robert Lustig MD doing previewed research they might be curious about his science. I'm married to a nurse. I feel for you. Both my wife and 22 daughter have hypothyroidism. And as a result of her hypothyroid my daughter has other OB related issues. She's gained weight and her OB wants her to loose 15. All she wants to eat is starchy shit. Lot's of grain stuff. Her boyfriend eats like her and has gained maybe 75lbs in 3 years. A walking poster for metabolic syndrome. I can hint to my daughter about her eating habits and my wife undermines my efforts. It makes me sad and frustrated.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?