Thread: Raw Cream page

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

Raw Cream

Primal Fuel
    I started getting raw cream a few weeks ago from a local farm. I am having a hard time getting over the "animaly" taste of it. I don't notice if it's mixed into something like coffee, but the taste of the cream alone is pretty rough. Has anyone else experienced this? How long does it take to get used to it?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    From cows? Really? I've only experienced the 'animaly' taste with goat milk products, never cows. I could never drink goat milk straight. What kind of cows are they and what are they eating?

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    And, honestly, I'd have to ask how clean are they? If it were me, I'd want to see the barn and the milking procedures. If you don't know what to look for, in order to make the inspection useful, try to either educate yourself before going, or have a knowledgeable person accompany you. Raw cow's milk should taste sweet and fresh, definitely should not have any kind of animal smell or taste to it.

amandamarie is offline Junior Member
    Here is the info from the farm website:

We raise Jersey milk cows. Every day our 30 dairy cows range on 500 acres of grassland along Bijou Creek. We milk these “girls” twice a day and provide the milk raw to our herd shareholders.

I haven't actually seen the farm or milking procedures.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Jersey cream is the very best. I would pay at least $10 a pint if I could find some. It does have a different taste from store-bought cream, that's for certain. You may need to get accustomed to it. Still, it should not have any kind of "animaly" taste, and I definitely know what you mean by that. Like the taste of mutton compared to lamb. If it were me, I'd still want to visit the barn.