Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a bone to pick...... page

beaubutterfly is offline Member

Got a bone to pick......

Something I have recognised in my years of trying to find the right way of eating for me, when I was vegetarian and vegan we had 'fake' meat, tvp and quorn crap! Fake sausages, pretend chicken.....egh ugh bleh! NOT bacon! OMG.

Then in raw veganism there's all sorts of dessert recipes and recipes trying to make food seem like variations of old SAD foods.

Now I come to Primal/Paleo and omg there it is again! now we have almond meal to bake muffins/cakes/pie crusts! doesn't this defeat the purpose? Can we not put away the past crap foods that we grew up with and realise that its all crap, and now we are trying to imitate that?

If we start eating mountains of almond meal baked goods, won't we just end up where we were with wheat? Almond meal was not something eaten regularly by anyone was it? I don't think so.

just a little jaded by humans always needing to replicate their unhealthy habits. Gah.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I tend to agree. Although I admit to being rather fond of primal truffle balls.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I hate gluten-free baked goods and nut flours more than the real thing. At least the processed crap doesn't try to hide what it is---junk food. The gluten free shit tries to look good under the health halo of being free from junk, which couldn't be further from the truth, but I suppose for those who are celiac and not made with cast-iron stomachs like mine, they can be a godsend for when sufferers just want done junk food. Therefore, I'm trying not to be so judgmental.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    My take on this:

almond meal and baked goods from nut flours, etc, are NOT addictive. It helps a transition from SAD dieting to primal eating. With time, you don't care unless you have kids that would like to invite friends over and offer them the usual cake / muffin / whatever. There, the use of the almond or flaxseed is THE choice for the kids party.

Consider this stuff as NON-staple food but occasional treats that you can offer your non-primal friends or relatives without telling them how you made them. But on the daily basis ? NO WAY! I much prefer my eggs / meat / veggies as a staple!! And that says a lot about the non-addictive quality of these baking substitutes because when I was on SAD, I would have the baked stuff DAILY.

Cheers!
    J.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    You might appreciate "SWYPO"

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    You might appreciate "SWYPO"
    haha, good one!!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Because over time, meat, fruit and vegetables just might get boring and one morning you might want pancakes and a stack of coconut flour pancakes cooked in kerrygold with pure maple syrup is a MUCH better idea than heading to IHOP and eating a bunch of wheat, HFCS and vegetable oil.

I don't think pancakes are a great idea on a daily basis. But well, given that primal is a lifestyle, at some point you might want some variety. To be sure, all of this syuff has excess calories and less nutrition than meat and veggies, but most people are at somepoint going to want a treat. It would be nice to see the cookbooks and blogs focus more on novel preperations of meats and veggies and less on primal desserts.

I dunno, food is meant to be enjoyed. I can view food as fuel for about 2 days before I want to enjoy it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaubutterfly View Post
    Something I have recognised in my years of trying to find the right way of eating for me, when I was vegetarian and vegan we had 'fake' meat, tvp and quorn crap! Fake sausages, pretend chicken.....egh ugh bleh! NOT bacon! OMG.

Then in raw veganism there's all sorts of dessert recipes and recipes trying to make food seem like variations of old SAD foods.

Now I come to Primal/Paleo and omg there it is again! now we have almond meal to bake muffins/cakes/pie crusts! doesn't this defeat the purpose? Can we not put away the past crap foods that we grew up with and realise that its all crap, and now we are trying to imitate that?

If we start eating mountains of almond meal baked goods, won't we just end up where we were with wheat? Almond meal was not something eaten regularly by anyone was it? I don't think so.

just a little jaded by humans always needing to replicate their unhealthy habits. Gah.
    The world isn't black and white. Eating mountains of almond meal isn't the same as making an occasional treat.

A couple of months ago, I learned to make the Brazilian cheese bread with tapioca flour. Turns out I like it better than regular bread, although sourdough does give it a run for the money. It also turns out that if you make it in a skillet, you can cut it into wedges and put a burger on it. Funny enough, I haven't started eating mountains of it, but since I'd rather eat a burger on a plate than wrapped in lettuce, it has given me back my beloved burgers. I'm not going to sweat it.

Also, since you have been vegetarian, vegan, and now primal, maybe you're just lost and need to hold on to rules really tightly to feel comfortable. Lots of us just want to get the poisons out of our diets and wheat is one of those poisons.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaubutterfly View Post

I agree with you and so does Kurt Harris

Smoking Candy Cigarettes | Psychology Today

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, since you have been vegetarian, vegan, and now primal, maybe you're just lost and need to hold on to rules really tightly to feel comfortable. Lots of us just want to get the poisons out of our diets and wheat is one of those poisons.
    I think also that it can help you stick to your diet if you feel like a food martyr... judging others choices can help make you more committed to your commitments when you don't actually have much faith in them. It's all good.... but realize someone eating the occasional almond meal cupcake, pizza or even ice cream may actually be successfully losing their weight and improving their health.

Ohhh... when I was a vegan at around 300 lbs, how I LOVED to judge a meat eater and their lack of health. Their bad decisions.... because I was fully miserable with my diet and needed something to cling to. It worked, I stayed committed and fat.

Now funny as it may be, I eat what I enjoy including "SWYPO" options, now weigh 173 and feel far less obligated to judge other people's food choices (with the exception of the toxic shit, for which I feel badly for people as it is addictive). I did at first roll my eyes at faleo baked goods, but now I just enjoy in moderation.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast