Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a bone to pick...... page 2

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Personally, I don't try to kid myself that I don't miss some CW foods once in awhile. I don't use nut flours or coconut flour every day, but I really don't think whipping up a small batch of almond flour pancakes or coconut flour muffins once a month is very harmful. Unlike food made with grains and sugar, with baked goods made with these ingredients I can eat one and be done.

Sure, when I make food like that I have "paleofied" it, but it's still healthier than the alternative of eating a lump of poisonous sugary wheat, and I have the additional advantage of not feeling like I want to binge on more junk after, the way I used to eating sugar and grains. I don't condone eating almond flour concoctions every day, because that does defeat the point of eating real, whole foods, but I think it's a useful tool for those of us who sometimes want a special treat, or those of us making the transition from a SAD to primal/paleo.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Disagree. The overzeal for purism has led you imagine things in your mind that are simply not true. Your zeal is truly the fanaticism of a new convert.

Here. Have an almond horn.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    No, after three years I do not feel even remotely compelled to eat Faleo foods. No nut flours, no anything. Yes, I have to eat canned fish and such. But if it has broken cells, I do not eat it. So don't think we're a bunch of bakers around here. To me grain free also means flour free and other processed malarkey isn't welcome into my body either. I eat meat, all kinds with spices and in good fats. I eat veggies, eggs, seafood, fruit including avocado, nuts and some other seeds like sunflower or pumpkin. I eat more dairy lately than I used to, but it's sitting well and causing no major issues. I eat so much of these great foods that I don't need fake food. Any of it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Here. Have an almond horn.
    I want one of those! Where's the recipe?

Unfortunately, I *can* over eat on the really good faileo baked goods, just as easily as on wheaty junk. I don't generally eat nuts though, so nut flours are not a big presence in my life.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I want one of those! Where's the recipe?

Unfortunately, I *can* over eat on the really good faileo baked goods, just as easily as on wheaty junk. I don't generally eat nuts though, so nut flours are not a big presence in my life.
    Actually I buy them in the gluten-free section of my supermarket. They are made by Aleia's. They're the real thing, though I have seen recipes using almond flour and substitute sweetening. I have considered making them myself, but I eat so few, why bother?

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Palefaux foods can fill a void and for that reason I'm all for them. I bake once every two months or so for a special occasion or holiday. Overall I'm not interested in palefaux and hate baking and can't be arsed to go through all of the trouble, but I'm not judging anyone else. I prefer plain-ish foods with fewer ingredients but we're all doing our own versions of this wol and whatever works, works.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    (Oh and I just coined the word palefaux so when I'm rich and famous someday for being a word coiner you can all say you were there when the magic happened)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I seriously love those vegan desserts. The ones I regularly go for at my food coop include:

Vegan cheesecake (I like the strawberry and raspberry, the crust is just pecans and the innards focus on coconut and cashews)
    Vegan brownie (basically just mashed dates, cocoa powder and pecans)
    Vegan chia pudding (again with the coconut and cashews plus chia seeds for that pudding consistency. I like the vanilla and lemon flavor)
    Halvah (not sure why this is vegan, but it's basically sesame and dates. I wish we still had the Greek deli with the real pistachio halvah.)

I also really like the coffee cup pastries you can make with just banana, egg, almond butter and some kind of flavor. I may one day try the equivalent pancake just for fun. I've made these with sweet potatoes instead of bananas too and it occurred to me it could possibly form a crepe or flatbread for some interesting recipes.

Even though I eat these things now and then it doesn't take away from anything. I feel best eating meats, sweet potatoes and vegetables but a treat now and then is delightful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I think the criticisms (mine included) are about people making palefaux(tm) foods their dietary staples. Which I don't think is what many people around here are doing.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I don't see the harm in these things as treats (you know, a handful of times per year), but if you're eating "cheesecake" and "bread" and "pie" everyday, it's a paleo fail...

If it works for you and your goals, fine, but it's not really "paleo" per se....

I eat chocolate on a regular basis - 80 or 87% dark - organic cacao beans, organic cane sugar, organic cocoa butter and organic vanilla bean as the only ingredients... I wouldn't really consider it "paleo" either (I may or may not consider it "primal" - to me, it's a gray area)...

However, I'd much rater eat a couple of squares of my awesome chocolate than some faux pastry/bread, ANY day of the week, but *shrug* that's just me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast