Thread: Sugar crashes page

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member

Sugar crashes

After you've been primal for awhile do you find yourself alot more sensitive to sugar crashes?

For the last few mornings I've been making a smoothy for breakfast with some blueberries and strawberries, I estimated around 10 grams of sugar total in the smoothy. A couple hours later at work I'm feeling slightly lightheaded, moody and struggling to stay awake. After lunch (all veggies and meat) and a walk I feel fine. Sugar crash?

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I get like that too. not so much off of fruit but when I do indulge in the odd sweet.
    ---
    ~Christine

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Um yes. I had a major chocolate binge (three big hershey bars) and had to sleep just 5 hours after. I felt awful. Lesson learned though.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    What else is in your smoothie?

Dryden is offline Member
    Oh yeah ... LOL. After you've been primal for awhile you will become quite sugar sensitive. Since you did not specify, are you using commercial or organic berries, or commercial major-label or greek yogurt as the base of your smoothie? Are you adding a sweetener such as fruit juice? Greek yogurt (Fage) should have no added sweeteners versus the major label stuff (Dannon), and organic fruits are generally less sweet than commercial varieties that are selectively bred to be as sweet as possible. You might also try replacing the blueberries with something less naturally sweet, such as blackberries.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    What else is in your smoothie?
    Here's my secret smoothy recipe:
    1 cup Diamond unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp of raw flax seed
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tbsp almond butter
    4 frozen organic strawberries
    2 heaping tablespoons of frozen organic wild blueberries
    2 organic raw eggs
    1 scoop of unsweetend whey protein
    A dash of Celtic sea salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden View Post
    Oh yeah ... LOL. After you've been primal for awhile you will become quite sugar sensitive. Since you did not specify, are you using commercial or organic berries, or commercial major-label or greek yogurt as the base of your smoothie? Are you adding a sweetener such as fruit juice? Greek yogurt (Fage) should have no added sweeteners versus the major label stuff (Dannon), and organic fruits are generally less sweet than commercial varieties that are selectively bred to be as sweet as possible. You might also try replacing the blueberries with something less naturally sweet, such as blackberries.
    Pretty much as organic as possible in this smoothy. This morning I added an extra spoonful of almond butter and some walnuts and left out the fruit. I feel fine today. Sounds like our bodies just don't tolerate having sugar after getting totally primal.

As a side note, this morning a co-worker brought in some Dunkin Donuts Munchkins and asked me if I wanted some. I very politely said no friggin way! I used to love them but now they look repulsive.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...maybe cut back on the berries little by little. I have a smoothie most mornings (raw Jersey milk kefir, coconut milk, goat milk protein, a raw egg yolk, a bit of cream) and only use maybe 2 blackberries/raspberrries or 1 large strawberry or 4 blueberries and it seems to be plenty of fruit.

MightyMite is offline Member
    Nope, almost immune to sugar crashes since going primal back in June 2009. I used to be the poster child for reactive hypoglycemia and had to eat every 3-4 hours. Not anymore.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, totally more sensitive. I got lunch from KFC the other day (don't judge me!)... I accidentally got some extra crispy instead of original, and I almost fell asleep at my desk!