Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Bacteria in intestines reacts to red meat causing heart disease. page 3

  1. #21
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,148
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by laras View Post
    I saw this too, on TV today. What stood out to me was that the doctor was "optimistic" there would soon be a new anti-biotic we could all take to kill off this bacteria. I just wonder if the pharma companies funded the study, so they could develop a new drug we need! Again, cure all our ails with yet more wonder drugs.
    And there it is. Follow the money. First you've gotta invent the disease.... then you can sell the miracle cure!

  2. #22
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,162
    Whatever the mecanisms, something is bad around red meat, this has been known for a long time! Personally I limit beef to once a week, no reason to overdo it...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Whatever the mechanisms, something is bad around red meat, this has been believed for a long time!
    Corrected.

  4. #24
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Corrected.
    LOL, remember that "knowledge" is justified "beliefs" - and the evidence against red meat is more than justified, even if the scientists are still discussing the mechanisms behind why so many meat eaters gets ill or dies from it...

  5. #25
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Too many unresolved questions here for any 'conclusions.'
    except the study started with a foregone conclusion.

    ZOMG!! RED MEAT KILLS!!!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    LOL, remember that "knowledge" is justified "beliefs" - and the evidence against red meat is more than justified, even if the scientists are still discussing the mechanisms behind why so many meat eaters gets ill or dies from it...
    LOL, whatever you say.

  7. #27
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,300
    the long study was of 10,000 patients already at risk for heart disease.

    the article doesn't specify what risk factors, but this doesn't sound like a healthy baseline from which to draw conclusions, does it?

    the blip on the radar of a one-off steak meal doesn't factor in the people's diets or gut bacteria before. were these "meat-eaters" eating big macs and pepperoni logs all week? or avoiding grains and eating grass-fed meat with a widely varied diet?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  8. #28
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    the long study was of 10,000 patients already at risk for heart disease.
    the article doesn't specify what risk factors, but this doesn't sound like a healthy baseline from which to draw conclusions, does it?
    the blip on the radar of a one-off steak meal doesn't factor in the people's diets or gut bacteria before. were these "meat-eaters" eating big macs and pepperoni logs all week? or avoiding grains and eating grass-fed meat with a widely varied diet?
    Exactly. The confounding variables are all over the place in a study such as this such as obesity, diabetes. This study population is a bunch of SAD posterchildren. And the "control group" were vegans not just vegetarians. Vegans, IME, tend to be more health conscious and less junk foody than vegetarians. So you have a group of vegans who don't have the particular gut microbe that reacts with the carnetine to form the TMAO. But was this because of not eating meat or because of not eating junk?

  9. #29
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,397
    How about the notion that you can have all the plaque you want and never have a heart attack as long as you stand all day so your arteries are gigantic? And you can have all the plaque you want as long as you avoid the inflammation that can lead to it becoming a problem? Plaque is standard. What's not, is the plaque becoming a problem.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  10. #30
    Paysan's Avatar
    Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    247
    PrimalCon New York
    Sorry to butt in, but even royalty in Egypt of times past were not significant carnivores. Cattle were more or less off the menu to avoid annoying Hathor, and even wild game was not a daily dietary feature. Fish was the main source of animal proteins, for commoner and royals alike. Presumably it was their high animal protein intake from cows and sheep that got the Hebrews ghettoed in Goshen to avoid offending the religious sensibilities of their new hosts. It probably also explained their famous fecundity and easy births that so dismayed the Egyptians by the time of Moses.
    Besides, if the gut bacteria is at fault, one can change the composition of them by selection of the rest of the diet. Or, failing that, fecal transplants! UGH!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •