Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie cycling? page

BklynGirl is offline Member

Calorie cycling?

Hi all,

I'm already at a healthy weight (137 lbs. at 5'6.5) and I'm in pretty good shape, but I still have fat to lose and I'm determined to do it. I tried a ketogenic diet and that worked very well for a week, then I plateaued for a week, then I stopped. I'll probably try it again soon to see if that will kickstart more losses, but in the mean time I want to try calorie cycling. Has anyone done it, and if so, any recommendations or tips? I have been doing a 16 hour IF about four times a week for a few months, but I feel I need to try something new. The one thing I'm afraid of is I have a roaring appetite, and I know the low-cal days will be really hard. Any suggestions for reducing appetite are also appreciated. I started taking green tea extract about five days ago, but so far I haven't noticed an effect.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Cycling seems to work for a lot of people. It's probably wise not to use the same schedule forever.

For me the best satiety hacks are coconut and bone soup (or both). They might seem calorie dense at first glance but they can really shut down my appetite for 12-20hr with even a small amount. Also the first hunger pang might be sodium/potassium so pickles or grape tomatoes can be handy.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Come join us over at the Alternate Day Fasting thread. It's really working for me to drop the last bit of fat.

And it's not a a full fast on the down days, just lower calories.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    I was doing calorie cycling, carb cycling, and IF for a few months together.

On my lower calorie days I remember yoghurt would help keep my hunger at bay. Eating higher fat those days should help prevent hunger. For some people, eating in a very short window on low calorie days helps them not to over eat.
    Keep yourself busy.
    If you are a coffee drinker that should help in the morning too.
    Drink PLENTY of water, Sometimes your stomach growls only for water and then it goes away once you drink some water.
    Hope that helps
    Eating higher fat should deffinitly help with fullness.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
    Hi all,

I'm already at a healthy weight (137 lbs. at 5'6.5) and I'm in pretty good shape, but I still have fat to lose and I'm determined to do it. I tried a ketogenic diet and that worked very well for a week, then I plateaued for a week, then I stopped. I'll probably try it again soon to see if that will kickstart more losses, but in the mean time I want to try calorie cycling. Has anyone done it, and if so, any recommendations or tips? I have been doing a 16 hour IF about four times a week for a few months, but I feel I need to try something new. The one thing I'm afraid of is I have a roaring appetite, and I know the low-cal days will be really hard. Any suggestions for reducing appetite are also appreciated. I started taking green tea extract about five days ago, but so far I haven't noticed an effect.
    Sounds like Bulletproof Fasting would be a perfect protocol for what you're looking for.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    I did calorie cycling a year ago and it worked for me, but on lower calorie days I would be famished
    Too much calorie counting is really not-fun

Leida is offline Senior Member
    While calorie cycling made me lose weight, it caused binges and uncontrolled appetite, and it only worked when it was extreme. I am the same height as you are, and I was able to get to 113 lbs doing it, but totally blew it, couldn't recover since. On a normal diet with small caloric deficit and, yes, experiencing annoying hunger, I could hold about 120-125 lbs. On satiation, I get up over 130 lbs and keep climbing upward.

With appetite reduction, the only things that work for me are the wrong things (jello, pop) and high protein intakes with super-low fat (like a cranberry smoothie with stevia or tuna soup with shirtake noodles) and hot broth. I was recommended to try the glucomannan, but did not get around to it. Jack3D, hoodia and coffee did not work for me.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

BklynGirl is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I looked at the alternate day fasting thread, but I know that is too extreme for me. I can't eat 500 calories a day, no matter how much I ate the day before--I'm pretty sure I couldn't eat less than 1,000 a day. I'm looking into more moderate cycling (including ~16 hour IF's), but I'm not sure how low I have to go on low days for the concept to work.

fayebym is offline Junior Member
    It's probably wise not to use the same schedule forever.

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really like calorie cycling. I've been doing it leangains style since January 1st. Quick background: I'm 40, male, 167lbs (was 220 Pre-primal) been primal for 3+ years. On January 1st, I was 180 at around 15-16% bodyfat. I had always wanted to be around 7-8% bodyfat so I decided to go for it. I skip breakfast almost every day. I lift heavy 2x/week and sprint 1x/week. On non lifting days, I eat what would be considered about a 30% deficit (150g of protein, 30-40g carbs, 100g-110g fat). On lifting days, I eat about a 20% excess much of which is good primal carbs. My results after 3months: I've lost 13lbs and am around 10% BF. Hunger is non-existent or very manageable. I'm confident that the weightloss has been fat, not muscle due to appearance, measurements and lifting ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast