Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight too fast? Should I be concerned? page

Alyndri is offline Junior Member

Losing weight too fast? Should I be concerned?

Shop Now
    Hi friends

First of all - I love the Paleo Diet. I've been in for 2 weeks now and I've just started to notice the 'balanced' energy feeling coming in. It's great! I could go on about the other noticeable positive changes too but my main question is... Am I losing weight too quickly? Is that even possible?

I've had comments from workmates saying 'oh you don't need to lose any more weight' which worries me.

I like to think I'm eating a pretty good amount of protein and veg each day, and I also spend about 4 - 5 hours at the gym each week following the Paleo fitness guidelines.

Personally, I'm ecstatic that my belly fat's starting to disappear and the loose bits under my arms. My partner thinks it's great too 'isn't it amazing how a change in your diet can make such a difference'.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    When people say to me "you don't need to lose any more weight" I generally think they've got an agenda (particularly if I've definitely still got excess fat to lose!!). Are your workmates in good shape? Or are most overweight?? I would definitely question their motives!

Unless you are bordering on underweight, then I'd say you're going well. You haven't said how much you weighed at the start, or what you weigh now. I guess that when someone seems to lose weight very fast, it can be worrying to some people (who may not know the reason behind it), but overall if you're happy and your partner is happy I'd say you're fine!!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What was your starting weight, your current weight and your goal weight?

I agree that generally people make those comments because they are a little bit intimidated/threatened when people start changing their diets and their bodies for the better.

Are you eating enough food that you don't feel hungry all the time? Do you have enough energy to get through your day? If so, I would say your are probably doing just fine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I started at about 68kg (5-6 weeks ago when joining the gym) and sat at about 66 - 67 up until 2 weeks ago when I joined the Paleo regime. Now I'm nearing 63kg.

BMI calculators say I'm in normal range, and I'm not hungry most the time. If I do get hungry I grab the pistachios and I'm fine till the next meal.

I love a few wines in the evening, so I've switched over to the reds (about 2 glasses max).

My workmates are overweight (well most of them). I guess that's the result of a desk job and carbohydrate brainwashing. But my close workmates are really interested in the Paleo diet too. I do talk about it a lot at work haha. I feel like I want to advocate it, but without being pushy. It's really working for me. I just didn't want to lose weight at an unhealthy rate.

Thanks again!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Conventional wisdom says a sustained weight loss should be 1-2 pounds a week. I think for the most part that is a reasonable figure, except perhaps the first couple of weeks or for morbidly obese people.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    It's exciting that you have found something that works so well for you and that you feel so evangelistic about it. I know I feel the same.

From time to time people may feel motivated for whatever reason to comment on the new you. I've had this happen too. If it's complimentary (wish I had your figure) then you can smile and say thankyou, if negative (don't stand next to me you're too skinny) then it's best to ignore. If genuinely concerned (don't go losing any more weight) then you need to weigh up whether the person is qualified to make that statement. Health professional or gym instructor, maybe take note, overweight co-worker, perhaps not so much.

What matters is how well and healthy you feel, as well as your partner's opinion.

If you are truly worried that your co-workers' comments may be justified, then you can put the brakes on your weight loss by adding in some extra primal calories on a daily basis. Otherwise, stop worrying and just keep doing what you're doing until you reach your goals.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    When people say to me "you don't need to lose any more weight" I generally think they've got an agenda (particularly if I've definitely still got excess fat to lose!!). Are your workmates in good shape? Or are most overweight?? I would definitely question their motives!
    Exactly this. It's sad and unfortunate, but so many people hate seeing others succeed, especially in weight loss. It makes them feel defensive about their own bodies and lifestyle and eating habits, and they feel better if you stay overweight. I had a "friend" like this, who would really go out of her way to try and keep me from losing weight a couple years ago. I mean constantly bringing over pizza, ice cream etc and asking me to go out to restaurants every week, none of which happened before I told her I had lost 10 pounds. Needless to say, the friendship didn't last.

If you feel you are losing weight/fat at an acceptable rate and still have fat to lose, don't listen to others who tell you not to lose any more weight. Unless you are really under eating, it will be hard to lose too much weight because your body will self regulate and settle in at a healthy weight. Good luck!

Thank you all! I'll take the advice on board

Paleobird Guest
    Also, the weight loss tend to be more dramatic at the start and then taper off naturally as you reach your optimal weight. Just because you lost 5 lbs the first week doesn't mean that will be the pattern.

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    I lost 20 pounds in the first 2.5 weeks. Have only lost 5 pounds since then, about a year.. Its water weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast