Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing weight too fast? Should I be concerned? page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've noticed that people's idea of a 'normal weight' has changed over time. Look at pictures from the 50's and 60's. I think today those people might be considered underweight. But they were not. Most of them ate far better than the current SAD.

Today there are so many overweight people that I thnk we've gotten used to seeing them and considering their weight acceptable is they are not in the obese category.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyndri View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I started at about 68kg (5-6 weeks ago when joining the gym) and sat at about 66 - 67 up until 2 weeks ago when I joined the Paleo regime. Now I'm nearing 63kg.

BMI calculators say I'm in normal range, and I'm not hungry most the time. If I do get hungry I grab the pistachios and I'm fine till the next meal.

I love a few wines in the evening, so I've switched over to the reds (about 2 glasses max).

My workmates are overweight (well most of them). I guess that's the result of a desk job and carbohydrate brainwashing. But my close workmates are really interested in the Paleo diet too. I do talk about it a lot at work haha. I feel like I want to advocate it, but without being pushy. It's really working for me. I just didn't want to lose weight at an unhealthy rate.

Thanks again!
    63Kg =139 lb

How tall are you (barefoot) - about 170cm ?? (5' 7")
    Skeletal structure ? (small, medium large) - perhaps medium???

Can you grab a HANDFUL of fat from belly area whilst standing up straight ?

Loosing 2 to 3 kg (about 5 lb) is normal in the first week or two normal on almost ANY diet (you're releasing retained water from the body)

After that Loosing 0.5 to 1 kg (about 1 to 2 lb) a week is normal is you have excess fat (stuff you can grab with you hand) - this can slow down or even stall after a while.

When you get to the point you have to 'pinch-and inch' if body fat with fingers and not 'grab-whole-handed', then mostly like your body would have already slowed down weight loss.

Underweight?
    You can be normal weight and be over weight on fat AND underweight on muscle (at the same time)
    To me, underweight is underweight on MUSCLE.
    In a everyday practical sense I RARELY see anyone 'on the street' (or anywhere) underweight on body FAT - meaning I don't think "they could use more body fat to be healthier".
    Underweight people I see have always been underweight on muscle.

'Athletic' people I see are always "underweight" on body-fat (by "normal" standards) and carry a good amount of muscle (sometimes plenty) so their weight is very good (perhaps even 'heavy') - again I don't think "they could use more body fat to be healthier".

Many overweight people are badly underweight on muscle (the high percentage of fat they carry hides this reality).

It is possible you're underweight on muscle if your too 'wiry' (if so eat more good stuff and lift heavy things)
    But my GUESS is you're not underweight on body-fat (and probably not muscle either)

Someone (anyone) saying to stop loosing or you're too thin (and they're heavier than they 'should be'):
    Could your loosing weight be a slight threat to them?
    Do they have a distorted idea on what is healthy weight?
    Is your good health/eating habits, highlighting their not-so-good habits?

Short answer is you're not loosing weight too quick, just ensure your always carrying enough MUSCLE weight.

Sadly there's no point in trying to 'save' EVERYONE around you (it will just end in frustration for you and annoy them) - though occasionally you'll have people come to you seeing that you've easily maintained good health/weight over the long term.

Good Luck.

daem1313 is offline Junior Member

Concern from this corner as well...

This is me heading into week 3 of going Primal. I am not quite 80% on the primal fitness but trying very hard (which is not actually difficult) to keep primal with what I eat. I live most of my life in my Vibram FiveFingers...has helped with foot issues.

I was concerned about losing 5 or so pounds within the first week and even asked my doctor who said I should not be concerned (he liked the new healthier me attitude). How many others out there lost the weight that fast....any issues?

Still think the weight is disappearing too quickly. I usually am on the edge of, "am I actually hungry?" Before, between meals...was horrible. Now, I never feel like I am starved or get hunger pains. Concerned that I am not eating enough, but I don't usually feel fatigued until night within hours of bedtime.

I am using the FitDay to log food and am usually under 100g carbs and around 100g protein.

I am under 5' tall and began around 162 pounds... Now less than 154. I feel good (except somewhere along the way the inside roof of my mouth has become inflamed, hard to eat or swallow...doctor can't tell me why). Not eating nuts until after I have some additional allergy testing on Monday.

My blood sugar has been much more regular.

This has been an eye opening experience for me... Most of the way done with The Primal Blueprint, but already read the info in the 21-day...

Suggestions? Experiences with the same concerns?
    Last edited by daem1313; 07-19-2013 at 04:28 PM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Losing 5 lbs in the first week of a diet is common, especially if you are cutting out processed foods and carbs. It's a combination of water and glycogen - not fat- being dumped from your system. After the first week or two, you'll notice weight loss will slow down to 1-3 lbs per week (depending on how serious you are about your diet/exercise) and should be all fat. If you're still losing at a higher rate, you need to evaluate whether it's all fat because you do not want your body to start cannibalizing its muscle tissue.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    First week of any diet is lost body water weight ( 5lbs in your case) - normal

A low carb diet will usually easily lose 1 to 2 pounds per week of body fat at the beginning - normal too.

Roof mouth inflammation - don't know, perhaps you're allergic to something or have some sort of infection.

daem1313 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not an infection... Doctor checked. Began day after eating some macadamia nuts. Got worse the other day...night before, had some walnuts... So leaving off the nuts until after allergy testing...and using a nasty mouth rinse every few hours to relieve me of the discomfort and pain.

I like to snack on green onion stalks...thought it was the spicy of that... But usually, that makes it feel better, not worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12