Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ohio! page

OneBigDude is offline Member

Hello from Ohio!

Shop Now
    Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background about me. I'm a 25 yr old male who has had trouble with his weight as long as I can remember. My first time realizing I was "big" would have been when I was 9 years old going out for football. It took about 2 months of eating no carbs/sweets/etc and running in a plastic suit to make weight for the team. I made it, but the next year I missed by 1 lb. Fast forward a couple years to middle high wrestling. Once again, every week I was running in sweat suits, fasting, and purging before weigh-ins to make heavy weight. My weight has always been a problem. I was a three sport athlete in high school going football in the fall to power lifting in the winter to track in the spring. From about sophomore year of high school to now, my weight has always been 280+ no matter how much I ran or what I ate.
    At 22, I was in college and decided to start exercising again and was running 3 miles a day 5-6 days per week. I ate grilled skinless chicken breasts and brown rice with lima beans and corn every meal for the 5 months I was doing this. My weight had dropped to around 250 and I looked better, but dreaded everyday when it was time to run. In the spring, I broke my foot in 3 places walking home from a bar and never started back up after it healed.
    Now, at 25, I'm ready to get into back into shape and be a healthier person, so I can live a long happy life. While browsing a gun forum, one of the topics was about diets and someone mentioned this site. I came here and browsed around and was instantly hooked. I waited until after Easter to begin going primal and my official start date was April 1, 2013. I will be beginning my second full week tomorrow and it has been an interesting week.
    I absolutely hate vegetables. I can not name one that I enjoy eating. Last week I ate carrots with lunch and dinner every meal and occasionally choked down some raw collard greens. My meat of choice has been skinless chicken breasts and shrimp fried in a little olive oil. Strawberries, bananas, and blueberries have been a life savor for snacks along with raw almonds. This week, I decided to pull some venison out of the freezer from hunting season and grilled up some back straps seasoned with salt free lemon pepper. I learned that I can mask the taste of a whole lot of spinach with just a few black berries in a blender. Now knowing that bananas and carrots are high in starch, I'm substituting the carrots for spinach and some of the bananas for blackberries and raspberries.
    The hardest part was the weekend with the family all in town and cooking and eating whatever they wanted. I noticed most of the time I'm not hungry unless I smell food cooking. I feel great after week one. The ability to have bad foods in the house for my sister to eat, but having the will-power to not cheat has been a really good feeling. Its like a daily test of how committed I am to living a longer life. I noticed some immediate results the first week. I had a lot more energy, not feeling as though I need an afternoon nap. My family said my skin looks less pale and my eyes look less lethargic. I started the week at 335 and today I weighed 326. I got back into lifting a couple weeks before going primal. I lift 3 days a week and now that the weather has broke, I've been trying to get back on the bike 3 days a week.
    I'm more motivated than I have ever been and feeling great. Excited to start week 2. Going through the success stories was almost life changing for me, since there are a lot of real people that were in a similar state as me with incredible results. My goal is to get below the 240 mark. My copy of The Primal Blueprint should be here by the end of the week and can't wait to dive in. I guess that is about it, so good luck everyone!

Salina13 is offline Member
    Congrats OneBigDude on making that change to primal!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You are off to a great start. Good effort on eating some carrots, I think they are a great vege to start with for someone who is not used to vegetables as they can be nice and sweet. I also doubt they will be so starchy as to sabotage your weight loss. Carrots are nice with butter and nutmeg, even a tiny spoon of honey.

Raw greens may not be very inviting, but some silverbeet (swiss chard) fried in butter along with some bacon bits can be very yummy. Mushrooms are very good like this too, but they do have a strong flavour so perhaps not the best beginner's vegetable.

Most veges taste sweeter when they are roasted, even onion. So, instead of skinless chicken you could try roasted chicken thighs, they have lots of fat and you can cook the veges in the fat eg pumpkin, kumara (sweet potato), yam, carrot, onion, or even beetroot. I just peel and cut the veges in chunks, sprinkle with salt and lay the meat on top. This works for lamb or pork chops also. You could add some rosemary, thyme or mixed herbs for seasoning and see if you can learn to like a few more veges.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    You are off to a great start. Good effort on eating some carrots, I think they are a great vege to start with for someone who is not used to vegetables as they can be nice and sweet. I also doubt they will be so starchy as to sabotage your weight loss. Carrots are nice with butter and nutmeg, even a tiny spoon of honey.

Raw greens may not be very inviting, but some silverbeet (swiss chard) fried in butter along with some bacon bits can be very yummy. Mushrooms are very good like this too, but they do have a strong flavour so perhaps not the best beginner's vegetable.

Most veges taste sweeter when they are roasted, even onion. So, instead of skinless chicken you could try roasted chicken thighs, they have lots of fat and you can cook the veges in the fat eg pumpkin, kumara (sweet potato), yam, carrot, onion, or even beetroot. I just peel and cut the veges in chunks, sprinkle with salt and lay the meat on top. This works for lamb or pork chops also. You could add some rosemary, thyme or mixed herbs for seasoning and see if you can learn to like a few more veges.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips! I have completely cut dairy, including butter, out of my diet as well.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hi OneBigDude,

I just wanted to say well done on completing your first week. Great results you've got in one week. I get completely what a buzz it is to be able to resist the bad stuff. I'm also off dairy but feed my father slices of cheese and also chocolate - then run away and sniff my fingers!!

Veggies - don't forget salady stuff, which you can use oily, vinegary dressings on. I'm now using coconut oil for most of my cooking, it might help with the carrots rather than to boil them, to try nuking in a microwave with oil and pepper. I used to love to cook veggies in butter for a richer flavour, but any oil/fat can add to the flavour. Also, I'm a Brit, so pumpkin for me is savoury and I love it mashed with pepper, again coconut oil is probably your friend there if you're not using dairy.

Have a good week 2!

Thanks! Had an egg/venison/spinach omelette this morning and can't wait for a spinach/blackberry/strawberry smoothie with some almonds for lunch!

So in the last 5 days I have gained 3lbs? I've been consuming between 1000-1200 calories of primal food each day this week. I track everything with paleotrack.com. This is probably 1/2 to 1/4 of the calories I was eating preprimal and unbelievably healthier. I've been lifting heavy things and riding a bike, but I can't figure out why I would or possibly could be gaining. I drink between 1.5 and 2 gallons of water a day. My daily meals usually consist of 2 eggs with a 3oz venison steak for breakfast. A quarter cup of blackberries, 2 small strawberries, 2 cups of spinach blended into a smoothie and a venison patty for lunch. For dinner, it been 2 venison burgers (no bun) and sometimes another smoothie. After dinner, but before bed I usually have a couple raw almonds. Any input would be appreciated because I'm stumped?

Just wanted to update a little. I've been primal since April 1 of this year, so I'm a month and a half in. Just about 2 weeks in I got a little discouraged since I thought I had gained a little back from the first week. It got me more determined after looking through the success stories, so I stuck with it. I would say I've eaten 99% primal since the start, my only cheats being a few beers at an indians game and my lunch for mothers day. Now that I'm 1.5 months in, I decided to weigh myself for the first time since I got discouraged/ frustrated in April. I'm happy and proud to say I'm down 25 lbs from my initial start. I have my before pictures and looked at them today for the first time, and wow the difference is incredible. I'm more excited and motivated than I ever thought. I feel great, I'm looking better, and I'm stronger than I was when I was power lifting.

Down 63 lbs since April 1, 2013!

Dumisanismith is offline Junior Member
    Hey hi there welcome to the forum..nice intro you gave out there..anyway have a great time at this community and maker your stay a enjoyable and a pleasant one..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast