Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (ZoeAmy) page

zoeamy is offline Member

Primal Journal (ZoeAmy)

Shop Now
    So I'm new around these parts, and really looking forward to gleaming advice from long-time primal folks.

I think that eating healthily doesn't include processed foods, I've never been a big fan of eating anything with added chemicals but they are becoming increasingly hard to avoid. Don't have any terrible addictions to cigarettes, coke, alcohol, but chocolate can be a bit of a temptation.

Despite what I consider to be reasonably healthy habits, I have managed to put on a bunch of weight, around 25 kgs over where I'd like to be.

It all started when I left the military, going from having a hyper-active lifestyle, to then going to university and settling down (aaahhh married bliss). I'm currently doing post graduate studies in international relations, I am looking at gender and the media, and how this relates to women in combat (and chances are I don't care what you think of women in combat. its happening, get over it *le sigh)

I've been doing the paleo thang for about a week, its been tough eh. I've been so freaking hungry, and its frustrating because my partner isn't hungry and he questions why i need to eat more (hell, I question why i need to eat more).

Luckily, I quite like paleo food, I will miss pasta (oh pappadelle) but love my beef stews, egg dishes, salads etc. Over the weekend my team held a BBQ fundraiser and I succumbed to one of the processed crap sausages and found myself with stomach aches for the next 5 hours. Won't be doing that again!

For exercise I have a little fur monster (a Catahoula) who currently has a ligament issue, so our walks are very short (10 mins, definitely no running), and I am doing short, scaled cross fit WODs from crossfit brandx as well as a bit of slow cardio at the gym (as much as my boredom threshold can tolerate). I also play roller derby twice a week for 2 hours each time.

As for goals, other than being overweight, I don't have any health issues. My BP and cholesterol are fine. Weight and measurements are definitely my goal posts.

But mostly I want to be fitter, I want the muscle definition back and the ability to do those neato fitness things (20+ pushups, pullups).

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    sounds good, just remember... when you are hungry you are supposed to eat and are allowed to do so

Salina13 is offline Member
    Sounds like your on the right track zoeamy! Make sure you eat enough natural fats and definitely eat when your hungry.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yep, what they said. And welcome.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

zoeamy is offline Member
    Thanks for the welcomes!

So its almost the end of a full and proper week of primal here in Sunny southern QLD.

I have to admit I haven't been doing the whole 100% eating ONLY meat & veg & nuts whatever. Strict isn't in my genes. Especially fighting against sugar cravings and missing carbs.

That being said, the only "bad" things I've had at home are red wine and paleo icecream. Holy moly paleo icecream is the bomb. I think its better than real stuff. And the funny thing is, icecream is my absolute weakness, I could never stop at one serve so can't keep it in the house. But the stuff I made is basically just coconut cream with bananas, and its really filling. My partner and i shared (!) One single ball of it (!) and we were both satisfied with that.

Today I had my first eating out experience, which I wanted to avoid or be able to choose the place, but basically couldn't.

There was NOTHING on the menu, I ended up with some sort of glazed pork ribs, which would have been great except the meat was cooked into oblivion so it wasn't massively enjoyable for the amount of sugar on it. My stomach felt off all afternoon and I had a headache. I would have preferred a salad or something... Looking back I kind of wish I'd had the damn wheaty pancakes with all the crap but realistically it would have made me feel reaally bad. I mean physically, food guilt doesn't work for me.

zoeamy is offline Member
    15 April.

I started with a personal trainer today. I'm stuffed. I can't ever remember having done that many squats! But he did well to look after the niggling injuries. Back feels good and knees are fine too.

I've noticed the hunger dropping off now. While I still have a healthy appetite at meals I'm getting through between meals now with just a little snack, I even skipped lunch yesterday because I was driving interstate and didn't feel like killing anyone.

I had a slice of bread while at my mum's place on the weekend. I didn't feel bad about it because she makes home made sour dough which is heavy in nuts and seeds, and delicious organic butter to go with it.

We practiced making some primal fat balls *haha* which is basically almond meal, coconut flour, dates, vanilla and desicated coconut. Very nice for a snack and incredibly filling.

I've lost 2lbs/1kg too, but really I always wonder if this is just water weight or fluctuation because my weight always goes up and down like that regularly.

Here's to another week!

Keep it going, you are doing fine- stay off the bread though

look forward to the next installment

zoeamy is offline Member
    Thanks Katsuhiko! The bread is a pretty rare thing, mum is so far away

I think I turned a corner today, I ate breakfast around the usual time and then simply didn't get hungry till mid afternoon, sure I had some small snacks - a slice of meat, a few nuts

Big salad for lunch at 3pm with a bit of home made (by me!) fetta and again not particularly hungry for dinner so I just had a bit of salmon and was super super full.

Yay for being past the hunger stage!

awesome! are you getting enough fat? add it up roughly and see

zoeamy is offline Member
    Almost two weeks in and feeling pretty darn good! I don't miss processed food at all but a little sugar snuck into lunch in my salad dressing. I'm loving the flavours of food cooked this way, and all the coconut.

Today we had...

lots of coffee for breakfast (new coffee machine)
    grilled mushrooms with garlic, basil and fetta + 2 poached eggs
    nut ball for a snack
    thai beef salad
    fish & vegies for dinner

a few days ago i punched the numbers in and came up with 40g of fat, I don't know how much I should be getting? but my breakfast alone on that day was 600 cals. When I'm hungry I add fat, if I'm not I don't eat other than meal times.

Also I discovered a delicious raw smoothie with:

Green apples
    Cucumbers
    Water
    Mint
    Lime

Holy green explosion, so delicious.

Also, working with a personal trainer now. Today I did my first lot of weighted squats since my injury and did 3 sets at 20kgs, and bench pressed 22kg (dumbbells), and a few tabata sprints to finish the workout.
    I've been thinking about what I do for exercise and will probably drop roller derby for a few months, its just chronic cardio with 4 hours a week of "endurance" training, and its boring at the moment. I'm going to change to martial arts for a while

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast