Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid/alkaline foods page

Bern is offline Member

Acid/alkaline foods

Shop Now
    Ok, this might be a conventional wisdom hang-up for me! I used to subscribe to the beliefs of Marilyn Diamond aka Fit For Life author who advocated aiming for an alkaline blood pH for optimal health. If you don't know what I'm talking about this gives a rough idea: http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog...lkaline-theory

I was listening to a tony robins recording today (!!) who was advocating an alkalising diet for optimal nutrition.. got me thinking about it again. Does anyone worry about the acid effects of all the meat in the primal diet?? ketosis is something that some people aim for, which is an acidic condition. While you are in ketosis do you feel the effects of too much acid in your blood?

I do think that the primal diet reduces most of the acid producing foods such as sugar, legumes and grains, but with such a big increase in meat (which is meant to be one of the worst acid-producers), I wonder what the overall effect is.

Your thoughts appreciated!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I, too, get concerned about being too 'acidic' because I've heard (from responsible medical people) that it's not healthy for the body. I don't worry about getting into 'ketosis,' but when I was stalled, I lived on meat/eggs for about a week. I didn't feel so great (and didn't lose much), and I was VERY acidic. I find that by eating enough green veggies, I can maintain a good balance and be primarily alkaline. I can get enough protein from my fish and meat but not remain acidic so long as I have about 25-30g carbs with my veggies each day.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea if it's because of acid/alkaline balance or some other reason, but I do know that I just don't feel right when I don't eat my fruits and veggies. That could be the crucial bit of the equation when people talk about whether or not a 100% carnivorous diet is optimal.

Tarlach is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Does anyone worry about the acid effects of all the meat in the primal diet??
    Not at all. It's CW at it's best.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlach View Post
    Not at all. It's CW at it's best.
    I'm not doubting you, but since I'm concerned about this too, could you post some links?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Ok, this might be a conventional wisdom hang-up for me! I used to subscribe to the beliefs of Marilyn Diamond aka Fit For Life author who advocated aiming for an alkaline blood pH for optimal health. If you don't know what I'm talking about this gives a rough idea: http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog...lkaline-theory
    Your blood pH is always alkaline. Your body keeps it between 7.35 and 7.45. Your urine pH doesn't have anything to do with your blood pH and can be affected by many, many things.

Serpentgurl is offline Junior Member
    I also don't do well when I'm very acidic and find it hard to lose weight and tend to get achy knees and headaches. I don't think the Primal diet as written (at least the way I interpret the book) is meant to be very high protein. For me it works out to 80-100g of protein a day which in my opinion is moderate not high. Also, in the book (or somewhere on this site) Marks suggests a 'reckless amount of vegetables' which would help with PH balance. When I follow those suggestions I am OK but add my diet soda fix and wine comsumption to that and I don't do so well. I know this is not technically primal but on the advice of a naturopath, I drink 8 teaspoons of barleygrass powder a day and that is very alkalinizing (tastes disgusting but it works).

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentgurl View Post
    I also don't do well when I'm very acidic and find it hard to lose weight and tend to get achy knees and headaches. I don't think the Primal diet as written (at least the way I interpret the book) is meant to be very high protein. For me it works out to 80-100g of protein a day which in my opinion is moderate not high. Also, in the book (or somewhere on this site) Marks suggests a 'reckless amount of vegetables' which would help with PH balance. When I follow those suggestions I am OK but add my diet soda fix and wine comsumption to that and I don't do so well. I know this is not technically primal but on the advice of a naturopath, I drink 8 teaspoons of barleygrass powder a day and that is very alkalinizing (tastes disgusting but it works).
    You are not acidic. Just your urine.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    I'm not doubting you, but since I'm concerned about this too, could you post some links?
    It's on the proponents of acid/alkaline diets to provide the evidence that it has any bearing on human health whatsoever. The burden of proof is totally on those filthy alties and their hippie juju magic to conjure up some evidence.

Not that I'm bias, I just think that people want a reason to hate meat. Or to sell books. Either way I'd be responsive to evidence and explanation that this acid/alkaline stuff is of any biological significance. You're probably better off asking the raw vegans that sort of thing. Just like I can't provide evidence that dragons are not just mythical creatures.

Like okay. Acid/alkaline ash I get. Minerals used to normalize blood ph. Okay. How much? Does it do any damage? What are the implications of it? How can it be objectively tested?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast