Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Myth of the Eight Hour Sleep page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

The Myth of the Eight Hour Sleep

Primal Fuel
    Do you sleep all through the night? Do you need to? This very interesting article points to research indicating historically it was commonly accepted that two 4 hour periods of sleep interspersed with a two hour wake period was the norm. This seems to be the case for me. How about you?

BBC News - The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this stuff is very interesting. I have read At Day's Close: Night in Times Past. Mark has blogged on this topic too.

I do try to sleep through the night. Being awake in the middle of the night doesn't appeal to me.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Yes, this stuff is very interesting. I have read At Day's Close: Night in Times Past. Mark has blogged on this topic too.

I do try to sleep through the night. Being awake in the middle of the night doesn't appeal to me.
    It is interesting to note that I used to sleep through the night before I went Paleo but now I find myself waking up after about 4 hours wide awake and energetic. I usually read or do some work until I get sleepy again and then go back into a deep sleep until morning. Based on the article it would seem this was considered a normal pattern historically.
    Last edited by canuck416; 04-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I've seen more about this type of sleep pattern lately, never tried it myself though. I'm a solid 8 hour a night type, more if I can. Getting up in the middle of my sleep doesn't hold much appeal for me, I will even try to ignore signals from my bladder in a vain attempt to stay in bed- the bladder always wins.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Mark talks about it in his latest book and it does make a little sense considering sleep cycles. Mark talks about people waking in the middle of the night to socialize with friends, family, neighbors, etc. which would be pretty odd to see in this day and age.

I generally like waking at least once at night so I can look at the clock and appreciate how much longer I have to sleep. And then I also have young kids (part time) so I'm generally woken up anyways at night for some reason or another anyways.

Lately I have been having one night of good sleep followed by a restless night when I wake up a couple of times. I suffered many years of sleep deprivation (before I lost weight or was enlightened by a primal diet) from arthritis pain. Now whenever I sleep well I consider it a gift. It makes a lot of sense to me that Grok wouldn't get 8 hours of sleep every night anymore than he would eat 3 meals a day on a schedule. Sleep when tired. Eat when hungry.

PS No more arthritis pain.

Zach is offline Banned
    It really makes no sense, evolutionarily speaking. It might have just been a fad in the 15-16th century? I also think it is popular in low carb circles because many people eating low carb have trouble sleeping and get adrenalin spikes in the early morning around 2-4am. Then they grasp at straws for an explanation. When you actually sleep well and deep you should be able to sleep 8-10 hours straight with no wake ups and no urge to urinate.

If you are getting racing heart, night sweats, multiple urges to urinate, waking in the night and being wide awake, these are all signs that your stress hormones are in overdrive.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It does seem to be associated with a certain time and place.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I think Elizabeth Marshall Thomas talks about the pattern in her book about the Bushmen (now Sand), The Old Way. When there is danger around, someone always needs to keep watch, and make sure the fire doesn't go out.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wake in the night to go to the toilet! (Probably because I drink water before bed?) And usually when I wake (which is generally more than once) I'll have some more water. So it's not surprising I need to wee . However, I can't really see a benefit to getting up in the middle of the night to stay awake for a couple of hours. For starters, it's generally dark then (duh). Of course, we have electric lights now, but back in the day before electric light... I would think it would be kind of a challenge!! Maybe it's a good idea in a cold climate to check that the fire's still burning or something but that's a 5 minute job!

It seems to me that the "first sleep and second sleep" was a trend that started and ended a few hundred years ago. I doubt it would have been as prevalent in country areas (where people weren't in perpetually lit cities).

Also, it suggests people going to bed a couple of hours after dusk for the first sleep, which would be quite early in winter... I mean, if you're going to sleep at 6pm then I think it's probably natural that you're not going to sleep the whole night through!
    Last edited by Iron Fireling; 04-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast