Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: protein need page 2

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey grea_bird, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope what I say might help you:

More and more I'm beginning to believe that homeostasis thrives off variability. It certainly seems true for our musculo-skeletal systems (varying challenge and then rest) and I more and more am thinking the same for our metabolism.

What does this mean for you? I would vary up the challenges you give your metabolism within acceptable parameters that you define.

how would you do this?
    If you decided that an acceptable range for your protein intake might be 50g - 150g well I would vary this in your diet to both extremes on occasion to provide a challenge and also eat at some middle point (say your 87g) a little more often to provide rest. You could do this for your other macro's also.

I would also vary up your calorie intake, decide on some outside parameters and vary up how much food you eat within those parameters.

Varying how often you eat (grazing all day to 2 main meals) might also give your digestion systems a different challenge that it might find easier or harder.

See with your reduced body size you might have a reduced daily calorie need (than what is decided to be normal on the internet). You might actually be overworking your metabolism by providing too much food, too constantly, it mightn't be getting enough rest.

Our consious minds aren't very good at controlling our bodily systems. What I mean is, even though you have taken advice from someone as learned as Mark Sisson on nutrition, he cannot decide what is right for every one. Therefore your conscious mind has given your metabolism a very narrow band to operate in, on a daily basis, this is represented by your 55% 30% 15% @ 2500 cals numbers, they are just that, numbers. If you embrace variability you are effectively giving your metabolism and body a wide range of parameters to find its own path. Also by taking your metabolism off its prefered path every now and then, your systems get better at getting back to where it wants to be, it gets more robust.

hope that is a little bit of a help.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

grae_bird is offline Member
    Thank you dilberryhoundog--variety is the spice of life. It will be worth a try. no one else has suggested i might be overtaxing the digestive system--it is always "eat more" but i'm never hungry....maybe that is my body telling me something, but i have also been told it is too starved i cannot trust its signals...

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grae_bird View Post
    Thank you dilberryhoundog--variety is the spice of life. It will be worth a try. no one else has suggested i might be overtaxing the digestive system--it is always "eat more" but i'm never hungry....maybe that is my body telling me something, but i have also been told it is too starved i cannot trust its signals...
    No worries glad to help.

Yeah I believe the human body can do some amazing things when provided the conditions it basically evolved out of over a couple of millions of years, (certain foods, varied food availability, varied physical challenges etc. etc.). but in your case it might not be that simple, you might have an actual condition that prevents you from reaching homestasis. Either way, providing the right conditions that your body expects (through evolution) can't hurt provided you monitor your self carefully. Mark has given you most of this info, for example the primal food list.
    Again I think where your getting mixed up, is in how to apply this food info. There probably has been many thousands of people trying to "Hack" the blueprint to lose weight, here's a few you might have seen; Regular intermittent fasting, daily calorie deficiencies, pure potato short term diet, going into ketosis etc etc, numbers and ratio's get thrown about alot in the quest for optimal fat burning. None of this really applies to you, As I suggested in my other post, my advice would be to let your systems guide you (with care). Give your metabolism a wide range of operating parameters (changing - macro's, food amounts, food timings) and listen to its response, let it find normal. Once you know where normal is, you can then throw in little challenges every now and then to strengthen it, then going back to "normal" to rest your metabolism.

Check the the last half of my success story (linked in my sig) for more info and I also made a thread a few days back explaining some of this stuff in more detail: Applying fitness principles to your diet.

hope that helps
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12