Thread: Question about Fat Intake to Lose Last 20 lbs? page

jilly is offline Senior Member

Question about Fat Intake to Lose Last 20 lbs?

Primal Fuel
    I am a 25 year old female trying to reach my goal weight/body fat percentage. At 5'5'', I'm trying to get to the 120-125 lb range, currently at about 145. Looking to get body fat below 20%, if I had to guess I'm around 25-28? I'm not good at guessing that. I was at 120 lb about 5 years ago, and it was when I looked and felt my best. I got up to 155, lost about 15 of it recently by eating very low carb and high fat such as bacon and eggs for breakfast, hamburger patties, steak, baked chicken wings, cheese, full fat greek yogurt.. etc. After the weight loss haulted, I took a break and of course, a few pounds creeped back. My question to everyone here: Should I start counting calories and lowering fat to try to help the infamous last 20 lbs fall off? I plan on incorporating weight lifting and cardio as well, but I'm so baffled as to how much fat and cals I need to be eating. As a pear-shaped female, I store all of my fat in my bum and hips, a little on the tummy and love handles but mostly hips. I feel like this is just the hardest stinkin fat to get rid of!! My sister does the classic body builder's diet where she eats little fat, and eats some carbs like oatmeal. I don't believe in eating carbs while trying to lose weight. I have just been reading about how fat is not the enemy when it comes to weight loss, but what about when you are very close to goal? My husband lost 15 lbs in a month (that he didn't even need to lose!) when we started the low carb high fat diet. And keeps it off even with cheating on the diet!! And me? Just looking at a piece of bread causes a 5 lb gain. So unfair. So yes, everyone is different and what may work for Mark and all guys out there, may not work for me. Any ladies with advice on this topic? Just wondering if I have to go back to dry chicken breasts and egg whites to get my body fat down to where I want it Thanks!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Advice??

1. Don't be on a diet. They never work for the long term.

2. Ditch the scale. You're accepting the numbers at face value, yet you "guess" at your body fat %? Use a measuring tape instead.

3. Read the book.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Here's a Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean chart with photos of people whose bodies you can compare with your own.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Your weight is just a number. What does your DH think of your body? Most men like women to have some curves. Ditch the scale and definitely look into strength training. Start focusing on becoming stronger and you'll look even better.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly View Post
    I am a 25 year old female trying to reach my goal weight/body fat percentage. At 5'5'', I'm trying to get to the 120-125 lb range, currently at about 145. Looking to get body fat below 20%, if I had to guess I'm around 25-28? I'm not good at guessing that. I was at 120 lb about 5 years ago, and it was when I looked and felt my best. I got up to 155, lost about 15 of it recently by eating very low carb and high fat such as bacon and eggs for breakfast, hamburger patties, steak, baked chicken wings, cheese, full fat greek yogurt.. etc. After the weight loss haulted, I took a break and of course, a few pounds creeped back. My question to everyone here: Should I start counting calories and lowering fat to try to help the infamous last 20 lbs fall off? I plan on incorporating weight lifting and cardio as well, but I'm so baffled as to how much fat and cals I need to be eating. As a pear-shaped female, I store all of my fat in my bum and hips, a little on the tummy and love handles but mostly hips. I feel like this is just the hardest stinkin fat to get rid of!! My sister does the classic body builder's diet where she eats little fat, and eats some carbs like oatmeal. I don't believe in eating carbs while trying to lose weight. I have just been reading about how fat is not the enemy when it comes to weight loss, but what about when you are very close to goal? My husband lost 15 lbs in a month (that he didn't even need to lose!) when we started the low carb high fat diet. And keeps it off even with cheating on the diet!! And me? Just looking at a piece of bread causes a 5 lb gain. So unfair. So yes, everyone is different and what may work for Mark and all guys out there, may not work for me. Any ladies with advice on this topic? Just wondering if I have to go back to dry chicken breasts and egg whites to get my body fat down to where I want it Thanks!
    Your story is typical of many, so first things first -- don't feel as if you're alone.

The routine you were losing weight on sounds like it's just fine for you. It's normal to hit a plateau here and there. How long did you plateau before you fell of the wagon or gave up? A few days? A week? Two?

The second component is the exercise. The wrong types of exercise can exacerbate plateaus. You need to make sure you're doing smarter work and not harder work.

Don't compare to your husband, men and women tend to be very different when it comes to weight loss.

You don't have to go back to conventional wisdom for answers, you just need some guidance.

Salina13 is offline Member
    I'm at the "last 20" point and have hovered here for awhile. When I did the ketogenics diet for a bit, the weight started coming off again. Basically I was eating 70% fats 20% protein and 10% carbs. I did have to count calories and all of that fun stuff because those sneaky carbs are in everything! Lost 6 lbs in 10 days and then quit tracking while visiting with family. Now I'm weightlifting with the hubby and am not being as strict with my food and have also ditched the scale for now. I still eat low carb and high fat but maybe more like 60/20/20 split but my clothes are getting looser. I also have the problem area of butt and hips. Why can't the fat choose my breasts to live in instead??!!??!!

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The two things I would take from the above responses are that a goal weight is an arbitrary number that will drive you crazy chasing it. And if it doesnt, trying to formulate a diet or plan to lose those last 20lbs will finish you off.

Although it seems controversial in some threads, I did the Whole 30 and ready the "It Starts With Food" book and it worked wonders for me. I lost weight but more than that, I have changed how I eat and have completely rid myself of food related stress.

There are two things that stuck out in the book that will likely stick with me forever. One was a statement that everything we eat or drink either makes us healthier or less healthy. There is no Switzerland with food. It is an oversimplified statement but if a message that works. Eat good food.

The second concept is the general guidelines they use for meals. Eat 3 meals a day with no snacking. This can be argued but it works perfect for me. The important part is the meals should be made up of a palm sized piece of protein, fill the rest of the plate with vegetables, and have some healthy fat. Maybe some olives or avacado or something. And carbs are ok too but from good sources like fruit, veggies, sweet potatoes and regular white potatoes. Maybe easy on the white spuds while trying to lose weight.

The weight may not come off super fast and maybe not all 20lbs will come off but it really is just a number. It is so freeing to have no stress over food.