Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg sensitivity experiment page

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Egg sensitivity experiment

Primal Fuel
    Background: I used to eat loads of eggs, a minimum of 3 in the morning every day. At some point I realized that my arthritis-like condition in my feet, the one which had gone away when I gave up gluten, was now being brought on by eating eggs. So I stopped. Later I found that eating an occasional egg is okay with my body. I can eat two in a meal, but if I were to eat more than one a day on average, the problem would come back.

Example: When I drove to Toronto a few months ago, I boiled eggs for a snack on the trip. However, I fixed a big breakfast before leaving, which included...scrambled eggs. So I ended up eating 6 eggs in a day. That evening I had swollen ankles. Then at the "free breakfast" in the hotel I stayed at the first night, the only thing I was able to eat was...eggs. So I had a couple. Mistake.

I had some very annoying swelling for much of the trip and a fair amount of discomfort, most of which went away after a few days. But some lingered for a couple of weeks.

I heard that there are people who are sensitive to egg yolks only. Since I don't like egg whites, this held no interest for me. But recently I have read here that many people are sensitive egg whites only. Being able to eat egg yolks in unlimited quantity is something that I could work with.

So I bought 3 dozen extra eggs yesterday. My goal is to build up to eating 6 egg yolks a day over a week or so. Or for a week. Whatever. If after 2 weeks on this plan I have not reacted, I will consider it a smashing success.

My boyfriend is going to be eating a lot of egg whites. He is mostly primal because of the food I serve, but he is free to buy what he wants, as long as he doesn't bring gluten into the house. He could stand to eat more protein. Probably the cats will have to do their part as well.

Day 1 (yesterday): Scrambled 1 egg with 2 egg yolks.

Day 2 (today): Scrambled 4 egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of HWC and sauteed red peppers and onions. So far so good.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I'll be following your experiment in hopes that you'll have much success. I've had to quit eggs several times now, and although I'm convinced the whites are my problem (which I actually hope is the case), I haven't even been ready to try to add yolks back again yet. (I will as soon as I'm done working on other issues) I really hope that they are in my future at some point, since they are nutritional powerhouses, not to mention how damn good they are and how convenient it is to take hard boiled eggs along when having to eat while away from home.

Good luck!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    I'll be following your experiment in hopes that you'll have much success. I've had to quit eggs several times now, and although I'm convinced the whites are my problem (which I actually hope is the case), I haven't even been ready to try to add yolks back again yet. (I will as soon as I'm done working on other issues).
    I can only do an n=1 on myself. Of course there are people who are more sensitive than me, so ultimately you will have to use your own judgment.

I really hope that they are in my future at some point, since they are nutritional powerhouses, not to mention how damn good they are and how convenient it is to take hard boiled eggs along when having to eat while away from home.
    Just imagine the looks we would get eating a bowl of boiled egg yolks as a snack!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I can only do an n=1 on myself. Of course there are people who are more sensitive than me, so ultimately you will have to use your own judgment.
    Of course, I'll be doing my own when the time is right, but in the meantime it's always encouraging to see that it can be done by some! Hopefully you will be one of them.

As far as egg yolk snacks go, some of my favorite primal "snacks" (or even meals) consisted of "eggyolk salad" wrapped in big romaine lettuce leaves. YUM.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Update: I hard-boiled eggs, ate 2 egg yolks (with mayo). Boyfriend ate 2 egg whites. We both had some bacon. Total today: 6 egg yolks. Target reached.

I was just on the two ingredient banana and egg pancake thread. Dare to dream......

Strong work on hitting your 6 egg target. Any signs of reaction at this point, or has it normally taken a while when you've reacted in the past?

- Robert Louis Stevenson

No reaction as yet. I would expect to notice by the next day. But the effects are probably cumulative over a number of days. What I ate yesterday might not have been enough to react to.

I'm going to make sure I don't include any more egg whites until I have concluded the experiment.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    I'll be watching this!
    I have a sensitivity to eggs as well. They cause some.. ahem.. bathroom issues if I start eating them too often.
    Will be interested to see how just eating the yolks goes for ya
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLS View Post
    I'll be watching this!
    I have a sensitivity to eggs as well. They cause some.. ahem.. bathroom issues if I start eating them too often.
    Will be interested to see how just eating the yolks goes for ya
    I expect to make a decision within a week. Eating this many egg yolks, either I'm going to react or they're okay. Eating 2 whole eggs a day would catch up with me before then.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No reaction yet.

For lunch today I had a cheese omelet made with 6 egg yolks beaten with 3 tablespoons of water, kimchi, and beef soup.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast