Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The damn gym makes me get sick all the time page 2

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Many thanks! I'll get investing

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Believe me, I have thought about home gyms. But my partner is a pack-rat and there's just no room anywhere. And he'll kick me out if I put anything over a door that might hurt the walls or the door jam.

All I know about this getting sick thing is that I worked on campus for a year before joining the gym and I never got sick. Since joining the gym I've gotten sick twice now. I'm also just feeling sorry for myself. A month ago I hurt my back lifting weights. A week ago I walked into the door in the middle of the night and split my lip and got a bump on my forehead. Now I'm really sick. I'm just so tired of feeling awful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Believe me, I have thought about home gyms. But my partner is a pack-rat and there's just no room anywhere. And he'll kick me out if I put anything over a door that might hurt the walls or the door jam.
    I don't know you, and this comment is probably beyond the scope of the thread, but it doesn't sound like you're with someone who's particularly supportive or willing to sacrifice for what's important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All I know about this getting sick thing is that I worked on campus for a year before joining the gym and I never got sick. Since joining the gym I've gotten sick twice now. I'm also just feeling sorry for myself. A month ago I hurt my back lifting weights. A week ago I walked into the door in the middle of the night and split my lip and got a bump on my forehead. Now I'm really sick. I'm just so tired of feeling awful.
    Gyms are dirty, disgusting places, no doubt. I hope you find your way through this. I'd hate for you to quit training because of it.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    could it be more that you are killing yourself too much in the gym which is making you more susceptible to being sick vs the gym making you sick? sick people breathe air in and out and alot of diseases are moisture borne. you can be carrying and preading about the whatever without showing symptoms if your immune system is dealing with it too. this will be the case wherever you go where there are people.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Gyms are dirty, disgusting places, no doubt.
    Yeah, because human sweat is soooo dirrrty and disgusting... Strange, I never get sick from visiting the gym almost every day, I guess it is because that I am so much more dirty than all of you clean and disinfected guys, so there is nothing that can make me ill anymore...

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Aw Sb I think some one is in need of some paleo pampering. You're partner ought to make you some bone broth and put a pull-up bar for you!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yeah, because human sweat is soooo dirrrty and disgusting... Strange, I never get sick from visiting the gym almost every day, I guess it is because that I am so much more dirty than all of you clean and disinfected guys, so there is nothing that can make me ill anymore...
    Glad to know there's yet another aspect of life in which you consider yourself superior to the rest of us.

People bleed in gyms. They fail to wash their hands after using the toilet and then touch the bars. I've seen some nasty stuff in commercial gyms. That said, I didn't decide to lift at home out of germophobia. I help teach a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class to kids aged 7-12, so there's no shortage of immunologic stimulus in my life.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    I don't see why a gym would have a tendency to make you sick more than most any other public place...

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    For me, the worst was working in an office. All the parents of kids who picked up colds in day care and snuffled all over everything would come in sick. I was never sick so often in my life.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I truly think it's all the college kids. I got sick around the Christmas holidays and now around Spring Break. All the ones in my building (using the bathroom and touching the doors in my building) are from all over the world (Computer science and Engineering majors). Who the hell knows what diseases they are jet-setting about with.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast