Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half jug of milk 4 months past, no obvious mold. Safe? page

Bill C is offline Junior Member

Question Half jug of milk 4 months past, no obvious mold. Safe?

Primal Fuel
    So, in my dorm fridge there is a half-full gallon of milk with a use by (or expiration?) date of Dec 14, 2012. It is pasteurized, homogenized, 2%, and grain-fed (I assume). The jug is plastic. It has not been opened since probably Dec 10 at the latest, but obviously it was opened, and thus exposed to air.

I recently discovered an opened cardboard carton of milk, similarly past its date, in a different fridge. That one had blue, green, and white mold floating on it. (I threw it away.) But that milk was continuously exposed to external air. The milk I'm asking about is not.

From what I've seen elsewhere online, pasteurized milk simply goes bad rather than souring as raw does. Most did not explain; a few suggested that it was the absence of any bacteria, good or bad, that would cause it to "rot." But bacteria, or at least fungi or protists or something, are required for rot to occur, and no one gave any evidence. Besides, the jug is half gone; there is some bacteria in there.

State of the milk in question:
    It is exposed to a half-gallon of air, but that air has not been exchanged for 4 months--the same 4 months by which it is past. The air is pressurized, so bacterial activity has taken place. Floating on the milk is a ~1cm layer of whiter material. It could be curds, or possibly cream (4+ months vs homogenization). It is a bit frothy. It is viscous (i.e., thick). The plastic is translucent rather than transparent, so I can not be sure, but I see no colors or other evidence of mold.

Fermented and good to drink, or unsafe and toss? I've got another month to decide.
    Last edited by Bill C; 04-07-2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: self-grammar nazi

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I would wait until a Friday to test it. This way, if it's no good, you've got all weekend to puke it out before classes again on Monday.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Interesting little experiment. Personally, I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it. Yuck!

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Life With Mikey - Trailer - YouTube
    (@50 seconds)

michael j fox isn't scared

Zach is offline Banned
    Its not safe to drink. If it was raw the. It would be ok. I still think you should test it though.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    It's bad; don't drink it. But please drink it and film/post the results.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Isn't the old adage: when in doubt throw it out.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Umm no... just... no... Raw milk can be okay after it's soured, but NOT pasteurised milk! Even pasteurised milk that's NEVER been opened will go bad over time (I'm not talking about that UHT stuff... that's not even milk anymore lol). It will have bacteria. It just will. And it will probably smell awful. Really.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Don't drink it. It will be horrible.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can see a Darwin Award coming soon...
    I'll be back

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast