Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible that some of us are doomed to be fat forever? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Angry Is it possible that some of us are doomed to be fat forever?

Shop Now
    I'm talking about stubborn fat. "Those last 5-10 pounds". I have been stuck with them for one whole damn year!!! And I am noticing that I'm not the only one in the forum. I am getting sick of this! Low carb, zero carb, carnivore, HIIT, strength training, IF every single day, nothing makes it go away.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried no carb no more than 15% protein and less than 4% PUFAs yet? Omega 6 causes leptin resistance, heightened cortisol, inflammation, etc which is why a lot of people find nuts to be fattening disproportionately to their total calories.

Essentially that would mean grass fed beef, coconut oil, erm, yeah that's about it! i think supplements would be needed.

Other than that I got nothing. Sounds frustrating!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

This is all I have been eating for the past few months with no results:

Eggs, beef, chicken, butter, olive oil, cheese (gave it up a week ago)

Does that sound like too much PUFA's? I don't eat nuts at all. I also take 5-10 grams of fish oil daily.

Do you think maybe a carb "cheat" here and there would do the trick for this leptin thing? Or just straight zero carb?

edit: as for my protein intake, it's always between 25-30% of calories.

Eggs have quite a bit, chicken has a lot, olive oil has about as much as eggs. Good stuff with the fish oil although I suspect that leptin gets messed with even if you have adequate omega 3, though that tends to mitigate a lot of potential inflammation and it most definitely a good move for overall health.

With regards to carb cheats, I've heard they help and I have seen a study where people people stalled on low carb started eating some more carbs in the morning and lost weight so it's possible.

And you could try switching out the butter for coconut oil. I don't know if it would help but butter gives me acne because of my casein intolerance. That could mean some inflammation, leptin suppression, cortisol, etc.

I eat 12 eggs a day and that's only 8 grams of PUFA's... I don't know if that's a lot.

I'll try having some carbs this weekend and see how that goes. Although I did try this in the past... however it was a whopping ~500 grams of carbs every Sunday (back when I was training for powerlifting). That didn't help much in terms of weight loss.

That's a lot for me. I try to keep my omega 6 to about 8g a day, not to use the Grok crutch but he wasn't eating very much omega 6 and his ratio was 1:1. I can't really say what daily requirement is but whatever it is I think that optimal health to the point of being sickeningly obsessive would be within a couple of grams of it. it certainly has no utility in excess of the basic requirements like saturated and monounsaturated fat do. Excess omega 6 generally doesn't get used for anything good but gets stored away in the tissues and turned into excess pro-inflammatory eicosanoids. Linoleic acid is the worst but I think too much arachidonic acid from eggs and chicken and the like is bad too.

The carb thing could be a good idea or a really bad one. No comment on that.

But to answer my first question, is it possible that I am doomed to be like this forever? I feel like I should just quit trying to lose weight and focus more on strength training, because they're conflicting goals.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I wonder, for me, if it has to do with being late stage peri-menopausal. The remainder of my obvious fat is in my lower abdomen-- the place where estrogen producing fat is stored.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    But to answer my first question, is it possible that I am doomed to be like this forever? I feel like I should just quit trying to lose weight and focus more on strength training, because they're conflicting goals.
    I think that is distinctly possible. Why worry about being 5 lbs overweight? It does not affect your health and you are slimmer than most other people. I would suggest that you focus on lifestyle goals generally and forget about the weight. Generally that would include getting good sleep, eating a good diet and exercising. Your body may be one the responds better to strength training. I suspect the weight will edge off slowly if you stop watching it! You will certainly be happier if you set some new goals.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast