Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Running Speed, what is considered fast? page

  1. #1
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456

    Running Speed, what is considered fast?

    Shop Now
    Hey guys,

    Just out of curiosity, what do you consider fast? I use runtastic pro when I run and when I was done it said that I ran 2.04 miles in 30.18 minutes. This includes a 5 min warm up (walking) then I sprint as fast as I can. This is outdoor running. I would sprint one block then walk another and so on. Finally I would do a cool down for 5 min so this all in matter of that 30.18 minutes.

    I ideally would like to improve my sprint speed so I just wanted to know if i'm too slow.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Zeera's Avatar
    Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    115
    I'm really not sure what kind of time would be considered fast for alternating between walking and running. I don't think the time matters much to be honest, because ultimately if you are sprinting to your fullest capabilities then I would think you would still be getting the same great benefits of sprinting that faster sprinters get. It's all about giving it your all, not so much speed, in my opinion.

    I for one know I'm by no means a super fast runner or sprinter. The last time I ran a timed mile was right around 7 minutes, but that was a few years ago when I was on a track team, and I'm sure it would take me longer now. One of my female friends on the track team at my university can run a mile in a little less than 5 minutes, which is just insane to me. I don't go for a run very often now, because I don't enjoy it much anymore, but when I sprint I give it all of my effort, and I think that's what really matters.

  3. #3
    miata's Avatar
    miata is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    781
    I thing you really want to time your sprints if you want a valuable metric to track. Or if you have something like a Tabata timer see how far you can run in 20 seconds.

  4. #4
    Kool's Avatar
    Kool is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    113
    People at my school though they were fast for running 6 minute miles but then this guy ran a 5k in 15:31

  5. #5
    prince's Avatar
    prince is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12
    I think its fair enough at what you are running.

  6. #6
    federkeil's Avatar
    federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    People at my school though they were fast for running 6 minute miles but then this guy ran a 5k in 15:31
    a 6min mile is fast.... a 5min mile is fast(er)
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

  7. #7
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,372
    For me, an under 10 minute mile would be lightning fast. I don't judge myself by other people's standards, just my own progress. I might be able to do that if I trained all summer with that goal in mind. But at the moment it's not a priority.

  8. #8
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,168
    Why do you care if it's fast? You should care about the benefits, and in that case, it only matters if you're working as hard as your particular goal demands (in the case of sprints, all-out-blindingly-hard-as-heck for 20 or 30 seconds).

    Two better options:
    1. Toss the stopwatch. Pick a fixed distance to sprint, run all-out, walk back, repeat 6-12 times. Call it a day.
    2. Hard to do with the stopwatch, but possible: Run all out for 30 seconds, walk/light jog 30 seconds, repeat as above. Or get an interval timer (Gymboss is the brand I have, I think Everlast makes a slightly cheaper one) and do 8 sets of 20 second sprints separated by 10 second active rest periods for a Tabata-esque protocol.

  9. #9
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Why do you care if it's fast? You should care about the benefits, and in that case, it only matters if you're working as hard as your particular goal demands (in the case of sprints, all-out-blindingly-hard-as-heck for 20 or 30 seconds).

    Two better options:
    1. Toss the stopwatch. Pick a fixed distance to sprint, run all-out, walk back, repeat 6-12 times. Call it a day.
    2. Hard to do with the stopwatch, but possible: Run all out for 30 seconds, walk/light jog 30 seconds, repeat as above. Or get an interval timer (Gymboss is the brand I have, I think Everlast makes a slightly cheaper one) and do 8 sets of 20 second sprints separated by 10 second active rest periods for a Tabata-esque protocol.
    No its not a huge deal for me if I'm running fast. I was just curious. Okay I might try the 8 sets of 20 seconds sprints next time.

  10. #10
    Kool's Avatar
    Kool is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    a 6min mile is fast.... a 5min mile is fast(er)
    true...true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •