Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acid Base Balance page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Acid Base Balance

Primal Fuel
    Can anyone give me more info on this? I have stopped eating all fruits and vegetables (for the most part) and I am concerned that it is making my body too acidic.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Essentially the acidic ash produced by digestion goes into the blood steam, has a transient stay and leaves. The alkaline ash does too and the better the balance, the less your body has to use alkalizing minerals to normalize blood ph. Blood ph is tighly regulated in the absence of extreme disease, but in that case they're fucked anyway.

I'm really really really really interested as to the biological significance of this stuff. Okay so I used some minerals. How much? Enough to be relevant to health? What if it was so small an amount it makes little difference? There are an assload of people who have taken tiny, unsgnificant aspects of human health and blown them up to giant screaming mammoths in order to sell books. I'm a skeptic here. Somebody show me the evidence and explain it to me.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any studies... HOWEVER, you u can test how acidic your body with PH strips. And Supposedly, CANCER and most disease can NOT live in a alkaline environment. Supposedly, if you test a person suffering from just about anything... their pee will be acidic (chicken/egg??)... ALWAYS... I'm curious if there is truth to that... I'm off to bed to get my required beauty rest! The best part of primal for me right now...LOL! Thought I'd toss that out there...

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    These is some evidence that the Eskimos have more osteoporosis, possibly because of their acidic diet: http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/search...Base%20Balance
    Fruits and vegetables are the base of the primal diet pyramid and there is no reason to stop eating them. The Eskimos eat only meat in winter because it's all they have to eat.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    I don't have any studies... HOWEVER, you u can test how acidic your body with PH strips. And Supposedly, CANCER and most disease can NOT live in a alkaline environment. Supposedly, if you test a person suffering from just about anything... their pee will be acidic (chicken/egg??)... ALWAYS... I'm curious if there is truth to that... I'm off to bed to get my required beauty rest! The best part of primal for me right now...LOL! Thought I'd toss that out there...
    Blood pH and urine pH are two different things.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Alkalinity/acidity is touchy because of all the misinformation out there. You're body strives to keep the pH at a consistent number, if I remember correctly between 7.4 and 7.5, and because of diet, LIFESTYLE, exercise, ENVIRONMENT, it causes stress on your body because it has to work harder and harder to maintain that number while dealing with a toxic lifestyle as the cause.

Each organ has a key pH necessary for optimal function, which is why I think piss pH tests are crap, just like ketostix.

From what I've read, it's not as much the protein/fat are acidic versus fruit/veggies are alkaline argument that is the cause of problems. It's the protein/fat chemicals, additives, pesticides, ect... + the carb chemicals, additives, pesticides, ect... = cause of problems.

On top of that, stressful thinking + stressful lifestyle + stressful feelings (anger, fear, frustration, sadness) can radically change you pH. Along with improper breathing.

As most things in health, it is synergistic. It's not just diet, and in my opinion I think with the "healthier" people in the communities, it's more their lifestyles and the stress that comes from the lifestyles as a result.

This is my opinion based on reading I've done.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    Blood pH and urine pH are two different things.
    So does that mean your blood can be acidic and your pee alkaline? 'cause obviously blood and pee are not the same things... I thought your pee, if tested OVER TIME, would indicate your general PH... hmm... It's all very interesting. Seems like whenever I read about this stuff, it ties in with inflammation... and inflammation is sited with disease....

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Is it possible to test blood ph with those strips? I'm about to order some. I don't mind cutting myself now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    So does that mean your blood can be acidic and your pee alkaline? 'cause obviously blood and pee are not the same things... I thought your pee, if tested OVER TIME, would indicate your general PH... hmm... It's all very interesting. Seems like whenever I read about this stuff, it ties in with inflammation... and inflammation is sited with disease....
    Your blood pH is very tightly controlled, so the short answer is no. The long answer is that your blood is always between 7.35 and 7.45 - just a little above neutral in alkaline territory. Your urine can be all over the map and can be affected by many many things including drugs, things you eat, just waking up, etc. etc.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Is it possible to test blood ph with those strips? I'm about to order some. I don't mind cutting myself now and then.
    It might get pretty boring, as your blood doesn't vary more than .10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast