Thread: Ferritin/Iron issue/delimma... Please, please help! page

Sharma is offline Junior Member

Ferritin/Iron issue/delimma... Please, please help!

Hi All!

OK, I'm having issues with my diet/supplements regarding my iron/ferritin.

So I did blood work and it turns out that my iron is in the normal range (13.0) but my ferritin was 20 something.

My doctor did not comment on that and said that I "can continue taking iron pills if I wanted to". However, upon research I have read that excess iron can be toxic. So my question is how can I raise my ferritin without taking my iron itself to over the normal range??

Everything else was normal, except the autoimmune antibodies were a bit high but he said it was nothing to worry about.

It's kind of depressing me because my skin is always yellowish/grey and dull and my hair falls out. My dermatologist said I needed to increase ferritin up to at least 70-80 to have healthier hair and healthy skin tone.

Supplements I take: Colostrum, and I have substituted iron with a beetroot extract complex (3 pills before food) as a more natural source of iron.

I have heard that yellow dock helps with ferritin - does it increase it without affecting the iron levels and taking them up to w toxic level?

Also, could low ferritin be a reason of my low concentration and energy?

If someone could clarify this for me - I'd be very grateful.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Take Ferritin supplements, not Iron. They are different! Still, make sure to take Vitamin C to help with absorption and avoid upset stomach/constipation.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Your ferritin is low but still in normal range. If your iron levels are fine as well, I don't think that's the cause of your health problems. There are so many possible causes of low energy.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Zach is offline Banned
    What is your diet like?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Ferritin is is a protein that stores iron for later use. Ferritin levels can be very low long before serum iron levels fall into the "anemia" range.

Yes, low ferritin can cause low concentration and energy as well as hair loss. Symptoms Of Low Ferritin Levels - Iron Deficiency. - Zimbio

Sharma is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input everyone.

Zach - I try to maintain a healthy diet. I mostly eat vegetables and beans (mostly lentils), I also try to eat quinoa as much as possible. Greek yoghurt with added chia seeds. I try to eat spinach every day, though I don't necessarily do. I eat a lentil salad almost every day. If also eat meat at least once a week and I do make sure it's either halal or kosher (for many reasons).

Beets are rich in iron and because it is not possible for me to eat them everyday, I take their supplements instead.

I wonder if I should take yellow dock pills now... or just stick to beetroot supplements. I would like to raise my ferritin up to 70 at least, and I realise it would take a few months to get there, but I am still unsure how to go about that...

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eat some liver and ditch the pills. More absorbable by the body and tastier too.