Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herbs vs. Antibiotics for H. Pylori page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Herbs vs. Antibiotics for H. Pylori

Primal Fuel
    I have H. Pylori and my NP put me on a product called Pyloricil. I lasted 3 weeks on it. My pain and bloating increased significantly. I hoped it was part of the healing, but things just kept getting worse. Anyway, I stopped the pills and I am doing much better. I meet with my NP on Monday to go over options. She mentioned trying a different compound or antibiotics.

What do you think is the most likely ingredient I reacted to? Zinc Carnosine, mastic gum, bismuth citrate, berberine.

I'm hesitant to try another compound and wonder about just taking the antibiotics? Can you help me weigh my options?
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Zach is offline Banned
    The only way to get rid of it is antibiotics. Even then it can be hard to get rid of. I recommend you stop eating very fatty and protein heavy meals, get the antibiotic regiment and follow it perfectly. Also drink tons of liquids, get lots of vitamin C and eat coconut oil daily.

Paysan is online now Senior Member
    Reluctantly, I opt for antibiotics, but that's because I had bleeding ulcers so bad the docs wanted me in hospital. They recurred spring and fall, like clockwork, until I finally convinced my GP to prescribe the then unfamiliar protocol for H. pylori. After getting the specs from a knowledgeable source, I took the meds and was ulcer-free for 20 years. When I developed new symptoms a year ago, another round of antibiotics fixed me up. But I was aware of the possible bad effects of the "cure" as well. Do your due diligence and check out what's being prescribed.

Paleobird Guest
    Yep. H Pylori is nothing to screw around with. Modern antibiotics have their uses. This is one of them. Nuke it and be done with it.

Lucid Space is offline Junior Member
    There are resistant strains, and it's possible that the kind you have isn't responsive to the antibiotic you took. Discuss probiotics with your NP. There is good research showing that it can significantly help with permanently killing off h.pylori.
    We are like cattle, blocked in by industrial confines. Walking down aisle seven, I grab my wheat flakes like a foddered bovine. ~lucid space

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Space View Post
    There are resistant strains, and it's possible that the kind you have isn't responsive to the antibiotic you took. Discuss probiotics with your NP. There is good research showing that it can significantly help with permanently killing off h.pylori.
    She didn't take an antibiotic. Pyloricil is an herbal concoction that is obviously not working. Time to bring out the big guns.
    Ortho Molecular Products -- Pyloricil

Lucid Space is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    She didn't take an antibiotic. Pyloricil is an herbal concoction that is obviously not working. Time to bring out the big guns.
    Ortho Molecular Products -- Pyloricil
    Oh, geeze. Thanks! Read the OP too fast, and should've looked it up.

Yes, antibiotics should definitely be taken! Also, pro-biotics to help balance your GI normal flora.
    We are like cattle, blocked in by industrial confines. Walking down aisle seven, I grab my wheat flakes like a foddered bovine. ~lucid space

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Antibiotics.

You know, we forget that Primal doesn't cure everything. Many many Groks died from things we can cure today.

For the record, zinc gives me lower digestive problems. I have to avoid anything with enriched with zinc, and those zinc cold lozenges are BAD news.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    My resource has this to say:

The most common treatment is the triple threrapy of colloidal bismuth, tetracycline, and metronidazole which has resulted in 60-95% eradication. The NIH also recommends antisecretory drugs.

sqidmark is offline Member
    Forgive me if this doesn't apply. My wife suffered for many years with a stomach ulcer. Over that time it slowly but surely became worse to where she was finding it difficult to find any foods that didn't make her violently ill. Dr's were never able to help her at all. A few months ago I began some internet research and found info on H. Pylori. There were several home remedies offered, but she settled on fresh raw cabbage juice. 4oz 3x per day and within 2-3 weeks she was able to eat food she hasn't touched in years. Maybe this doesn't apply to the OP's problem, but it sure worked for my wife. Of course, we're just assuming that it actually was H. Pylori.

Some of the other remedies included Aloe Vera juice or cayenne pepper or ACV. All of these things supposedly kill the H. Pylori bacteria.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast