Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herbs vs. Antibiotics for H. Pylori page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Forgive me if this doesn't apply. My wife suffered for many years with a stomach ulcer. Over that time it slowly but surely became worse to where she was finding it difficult to find any foods that didn't make her violently ill. Dr's were never able to help her at all. A few months ago I began some internet research and found info on H. Pylori. There were several home remedies offered, but she settled on fresh raw cabbage juice. 4oz 3x per day and within 2-3 weeks she was able to eat food she hasn't touched in years. Maybe this doesn't apply to the OP's problem, but it sure worked for my wife. Of course, we're just assuming that it actually was H. Pylori.
    You seem to be saying that for many years your wife went from doctor to doctor with a stomach ulcer, but it was never diagnosed. Was this before they found stomach ulcers are caused by a bacterial infection?

Faumdano is offline Member
    There is some evidence that the mix of bacteria and yeasts in Kefir can help to suppress H. Pylori -- it wouldn't be a bad idea regardless to help rebuild your gut flora after the scorched earth results of taking antibiotics.

A quick googling produced quite a few results: Antibiotics and Kefir
    with a little digging you cn find the actual research papers too.

sqidmark is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You seem to be saying that for many years your wife went from doctor to doctor with a stomach ulcer, but it was never diagnosed. Was this before they found stomach ulcers are caused by a bacterial infection?
    Pretty much. They kept telling her that if it didn't show up on an xray, there was nothing they could do.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I think I'm going to ask for the triple therapy. I'm hoping that enduring 3 weeks of the herbs got some of the killing started, but think I'd like to finish it off with the antibiotics. Thanks again for all the suggestions and I will have all the gut healing protocols ready as I go into this.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    There is some evidence that the mix of bacteria and yeasts in Kefir can help to suppress H. Pylori -- it wouldn't be a bad idea regardless to help rebuild your gut flora after the scorched earth results of taking antibiotics.

A quick googling produced quite a few results: Antibiotics and Kefir
    with a little digging you cn find the actual research papers too.
    This is a good plan. Nuke then rebuild the good stuff.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, there are H Pylori strains resistant to antibiotics, even the multi-week triple cocktail which is commonly prescribed doesn't have a great success rate (at least it's not as good as the success rate using turmeric)

My husband successful got rid of his H Pylori problem a few months ago with this protocol:

1) 1 teaspoon of turmeric per day (from research, this seems to be the most potent anti H Pylori agent available)
    2) Mastic gum supplement
    3) taking HCl with meals, since H Pylori downregulates stomach acid
    4) my husband didn't do this one, but taking bismuth subsalicyte (pepto bismol is the brand name) coats the inside of the stomach lining and prevents the H Pylori from burrowing in
    5) taking DGL will both provide instant relief from ulcer pain (if you have any) by prompting the stomach to secrete more mucosal lining, something else downregulated by the H Pylori so that it can burrow into the lining more effectively.
    6) drinking OJ daily

I have no way to know what was bothering you from the supplements you were taking, but I do know that when my husband was taking a high dose of turmeric, he had some acute and uncomfortable die-off symptoms that decreased when he lowered the turmeric to 1/2 teaspoon a day and then slowly increased it. Once the H Pylori was knocked out, he didn't need to supplement with HCl anymore. Have you noticed any changes in your digestion? Is there any chance that your bloating could be due to something else and not necessarily a reaction to the supplements?

I'm generally an antibiotic supporter for bacterial infections, since they are usually the best option in my opinion (as long as you follow up with probiotics), but from my research turmeric has been shown to be significantly more effective in dealing with H Pylori, so my suggestion is to research this a little for yourself before you jump into it.

Bactericidal and anti-adhesive propert... [World J Gastroenterol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Antimicrobial Activity of Curcumin against Helicobacter pylori Isolates from India and during Infections in Mice

HELICOBACTER PYLORI - Natural treatments
    Last edited by BestBetter; 04-07-2013 at 09:01 PM.

KT79 is offline Member
    I think antibiotics are the way to go on this. My husband just got diagnosed with it after having a lot of acid reflux issues. We see a functional medicine doctor, so he's pretty good about explaining herbal treatments and other ways of dealing with things vs. using antibiotics and conventional medicine. His advice in this case was the antibiotic route - H. Pylori is really, really hard to get rid of and is a main factor in causing stomach cancers, so it's not something you want to play around with. Husband's going in to be tested again after this round of antibiotics to make sure it's gone.

I did read up on other helpful treatments, and cinnamon and broccoli is supposed to be really good against H. Pylori, so you might try making those a big part of your diet for awhile and see if it helps at all.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I saw my NP yesterday. She figured I reacted to the berberine because of my extremely sensitive and torn up gut. We decided to go with the antibiotics. I will be doing three different kinds over 10 days with an additional acid suppressor. She calls it a pulse method where I take amoxicillin for the first 5 days then take the other two the last 5 days. Should be interesting. I will be taking a specific probiotic that she says can survive the antibiotics ( i think it's s. boulardii ) plus the powdered glutamine, dgl and aloe. I will start tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

My digestion has definitely improved. I think the herbs knocked out a fair bit of the bugs. I'm hopeful that the antibiotics will finish it off. I'm sure it was the herbs that I was reacting to. I saw a huge change by the end of the day. I'm half way into my first day of the antibiotics and so far so good.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    I just been diagnosed with it .
    But have not noticed any symptoms but I do take probiotics & dig enzymes daily though and my diet is 100% super clean.

Was not going to do the antibiotics but think this is the only real way to get rid of.

So think I will be using alot of turmeric aswell I think and I heard oregano is also good .

Any other advise?
    I have been trying to gain muscle size in gym but would this infection been effecting this for last 6months & year as I have expected more gains?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Glad you went the antibiotic route. H. pylori really is kind of a big deal.

My mom has had problems with it twice, mostly due to her insistence on a crappy chemical diet and taking Tums any time she feels even a twinge. Seriously, like on a daily basis for years, and that gives it the perfect environment to thrive. It landed her in the hospital for a week the first time, and this last time she lost 30 pounds she didn't have to spare. Couldn't eat more than a couple bites of food without vomiting. So... yeah, a big deal.

Keep us updated!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast