Page 1 of 252 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

B*tchapalooza 2013

Primal Fuel
    Not exactly sure what the purpose of this journal will be. I do know what the purpose of the first post in it will be: to rant.

All Iím trying to do with paleo/primal is to eat in the most healthful manner possible, and it seems like every time I turn around, the pigf*****s at Monsanto, BigFood, and the FDA try to screw with my intent. Iím so sick and tired of it. But this morning, Iím mostly angry.

This thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82249.html is what has me riled up. First, I had no delusions that Whole Foods wasnít at least 80% hype. Almost all of their foods found on the non-primal aisles* are just as full of crappy additives/ingredients as any of the garbage at MalWart.

*Non-primal aisles are to me are the aisles where food comes comes in bags, boxes, or cans.

My bitch isnít even that shitty food exists. Itís a free country Ė grow it and sell it to anyone whoíll buy it. But, and itís a big BUT, do it in the sunshine. Donít shuck and jive me that your garbage is healthy or better than the cheap stuff at any other market. Donít put up big web sites touting all the ingredients that arenít allowed in the foods you carry, while hiding the fact that 80% of your products are or contain GMOs.

I find myself slightly emotionally shrinking when I read stuff or find out stuff about how truly deceitful business is in America. It just doesnít have to be. It should be a trading of assets where both parties come away happy. I have a skill that I trade for a salary. I trade that salary for food, housing, entertainment, etc. Nothing sleazy about business in that sense. Sleazy comes in if I do my job badly and still expect you to pay me. It comes in if I buy a product that isnít as advertised. Then itís not business, itís stealing.

And in this country, business has become almost synonymous with stealing. The absolute scum masquerading as humans who are regulating the food industry should all die from oozing, painful pustules.

Emotionally shrinking. I was almost at the point this morning that I thought once my freezer was empty, Iíd just become a pescatarian. Not for any moral thing. Animals are food. Just from a complete disgust in the way our meats are produced. From a political POV of wanting to never give another dollar of my money to cheating, lying, stealing bastards.

Then I thought, well hell, most of the beef in my freezer is already from another country, so I donít have to go all fish. Not that going pescatarian would be that much of a hardship since I love the stuff. But if I can find ways to subvert the PTB by buying beef grown in a country I trust, then I can find ways to subvert them in other ways.

So, a few of the things I plan to implement by yearís end (if not sooner):

-Depending on the answer I get to my email to OV, Iíll stop drinking half and half in my coffee and stop using butter from the U.S. We have a Costco opening here in August/September, and they sell Kerrygold, so Iíll have access to it at more reasonable prices than I do now.

-Pigs and chickens are out unless I buy them from someone who has knowledge of what they eat and how they live. Theyíll be replaced by wild fish.

-Learn to make my own bread out of non-GMO ingredients instead of having one wheat day a week.

-My cheeses will all be imported unless Iím convinced that a local or in-country source isnít blowing smoke up my ass. I realize this flies in the face of ďbuy local,Ē but I donít care. If the food supply is becoming a cesspool, Iím looking after me.

Will it be expensive? Somewhat. Will it take effort? Yes. Dragging my ass out of bed early on a Saturday morning to go to the one decent farmersí market we have here will just have to happen more often. But if in some small old-lady way, I can take a stand against the lie that is food production in America, then Iím going to do it.

As a note, I know that some people have already implemented a lot of changes in how and where their food is sourced and maybe Iím later to the total party than I should have been (though honestly, I havenít eaten CAFO meats in about four months by simply giving up the chicken and pork I was buying). But at least if Iím not a leader in this, I know Iím following the right people.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    FIRST IN!

HI JOANIE!

I wish you much luck.

Julie

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    it's tough finding reliable transparent sources, when you do find something good cling on and support it

good luck

Khainag is offline Member
    Hi Joanie,

I don't understand why you think that buying from other countries will solve the problem here? I see "buy local" as a way to, maybe the only way to, have the kind of exchanges of information and product that you are talking about here. Of course, still no guarantee though that the local farmer who is letting you tour his farm isn't like supplementing the feed with whatever, etc. But we have to trust other people at some point...
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Joanie,

Here's a website that may help you: Eat Wild - click on the "Shop for Local Grassfed Meat" link on the left. It lists, by state, local sources for meat.

I source ALL my meat from local farmers and ranchers. I get my eggs from a neighbor who has chickens. I know the names of the hens that laid the eggs I eat.

I've found that buying half a cow and half a pig is not really all that more expensive than buying the separate cuts from a grocery store (and I can shop in the military commissary, which is supposedly less expensive than "outside" stores). Getting eggs from my neighbor is definitely cheaper than even the CAFO eggs at the local supermarket! If I had time, I'd raise chickens myself.

U.S. Wellness Meats ó Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too is also a good source for meat--and for grass-fed cheese at about the same price as my local artisan cheese place.

I work for the US government, and while what I do is pretty straightforward, I'm appalled at what our government pushes as being "good for us". I no longer trust ANYthing our government tells us unless I can verify it myself through other sources.

I'm with you on the anger and frustration!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    FIRST IN!

HI JOANIE!

I wish you much luck.

Julie
    Thanks, Julie!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Joanie,

Yay for you!

Do you know about EatWild?
    I have seen that site and I was a little disappointed in how few farms, etc., were near me. I did see one today, however that is looking for people to head up urban buying clubs. I may look into that to see what's required.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    it's tough finding reliable transparent sources, when you do find something good cling on and support it

good luck
    I surely will. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khainag View Post
    Hi Joanie,

I don't understand why you think that buying from other countries will solve the problem here? I see "buy local" as a way to, maybe the only way to, have the kind of exchanges of information and product that you are talking about here. Of course, still no guarantee though that the local farmer who is letting you tour his farm isn't like supplementing the feed with whatever, etc. But we have to trust other people at some point...
    You make a good point. But if I buy from a country that doesn't allow GMOs in the feed by law, and where grass fed and grass finished are firm legal terms rather than squishy terms favoring cheating, I feel I'm ahead of the game. I can't remember Mark's exact post, but even the U.S. Certified Organic label adds more compounds every year. Big food is winning; I can't beat it, but I can do my best to avoid it. Local is of course another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Joanie,

Here's a website that may help you: Eat Wild - click on the "Shop for Local Grassfed Meat" link on the left. It lists, by state, local sources for meat.

I source ALL my meat from local farmers and ranchers. I get my eggs from a neighbor who has chickens. I know the names of the hens that laid the eggs I eat.

I've found that buying half a cow and half a pig is not really all that more expensive than buying the separate cuts from a grocery store (and I can shop in the military commissary, which is supposedly less expensive than "outside" stores). Getting eggs from my neighbor is definitely cheaper than even the CAFO eggs at the local supermarket! If I had time, I'd raise chickens myself.

U.S. Wellness Meats ó Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too is also a good source for meat--and for grass-fed cheese at about the same price as my local artisan cheese place.

I work for the US government, and while what I do is pretty straightforward, I'm appalled at what our government pushes as being "good for us". I no longer trust ANYthing our government tells us unless I can verify it myself through other sources.

I'm with you on the anger and frustration!
    Thanks, Goldie. I just ordered from U.S. Wellness and was extremely happy with the quality of the product. They will certainly be my go-to until I can find other sources.

The last time I was at my local farmers market was before I'd really acclimated to the finances of going primal, or more specifically going away from CAFO meats, and honestly, I was kind of put off by the prices. Now that I'm used to the whole money thing, I'm sure those prices will look more reasonable. I was actually awake early enough today, but my freezer is full, so I would have only been going for the sake of going.

Which reminds me that I have a beef heart to defrost.

Thank all of you for your support!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hey Joanie,

It's about time you started a journal! I always enjoy reading your posts.

It seems as though DH and I spend a lot of our time and energy getting or making food; we have our own chickens, we buy half a cow, DH grows a lot of our veggies and this year he raised 2 hogs. Now we are curing and smoking our bacon and making our sausage. When we go to a regular store we buy TP, tissues, wine that sort of thing, not any food.

I'm with you on hating stores like WF; you have to be more on top of it when shopping there, their marketing is more slick. Ages ago I lived in a town that had several groovy health food stores and then WF moved and now it's the only option. Glad I now live in town that has a locally owned health food store where the owner buys from local farmers.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hey Joanie,

It's about time you started a journal! I always enjoy reading your posts.

It seems as though DH and I spend a lot of our time and energy getting or making food; we have our own chickens, we buy half a cow, DH grows a lot of our veggies and this year he raised 2 hogs. Now we are curing and smoking our own bacon and making our own sausage. When we go to a regular store we buy TP, tissues, wine that sort of thing, not any food.

I'm with you on hating stores like WF; you have to be more on top of it when shopping there, their marketing is more slick. Ages ago I lived in a town that had several groovy health food stores and then WF moved and now it's the only option. Glad I now live in town that has a locally owned health food store where the owner buys from local farmers.

Khainag is offline Member
    Thanks guys, this is a good thread. I need some more motivation to get more local meat (and vegetables, though doing better on that front)!

Joanie-- thanks for clarifying, that makes sense if the issue is GMO.

I guess for me the issue is always clouded by how Russia has outlawed GMO, but I see that as in large part a move to promote Russian/former Soviet countries' products, not about the health arguments (Russia Suspends Use of Genetically Modified Corn - WSJ.com) that the Russian gov't has put out... so, I think it's pretty hard to get an idea of what is going on in other countrys' production.
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

Page 1 of 252 1231151101 ... LastLast