Page 74 of 261 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 74

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I feel like I went to bed on Labor Day and woke up on Christmas! Lots of Joanie presents to open and enjoy!

Newbys coming to the Forum now have to be so confused. Anyone that actually tries to give them straight from the book PBP advice(not advise) is branded a zealot and mocked. Pretty sad.

I think if we spent more on teaching people how to urban farm, set up community gardens on vacant lots, especially in blighted areas and spent less on shiny new spy equipment, we would be better off. While I am pretty conservative about some things, feeding people and caring for those who, for various reasons, can not care for themselves is just the right thing to do. No person should go to bed hungry.

Of course as I get older, I am becoming far more liberal about certain things in life as they are not as black and white as I thought they were when I was younger.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I feel like I went to bed on Labor Day and woke up on Christmas! Lots of Joanie presents to open and enjoy!

Newbys coming to the Forum now have to be so confused. Anyone that actually tries to give them straight from the book PBP advice(not advise) is branded a zealot and mocked. Pretty sad.

I think if we spent more on teaching people how to urban farm, set up community gardens on vacant lots, especially in blighted areas and spent less on shiny new spy equipment, we would be better off. While I am pretty conservative about some things, feeding people and caring for those who, for various reasons, can not care for themselves is just the right thing to do. No person should go to bed hungry.

Of course as I get older, I am becoming far more liberal about certain things in life as they are not as black and white as I thought they were when I was younger.
    V, you're so sweet.

I love the idea of urban farming. Someone told me that Oregon had passed a backyard farming law, but I googled it and can't find it. Perhaps it's still in the works.

I recently learned the term "food deserts," which I never really thought about too much. I mean I know that there are neighborhoods that only have access to convenience stores, but it never really hit home how that might affect the truly poor. In a lot of cities, you can get to a decent grocery store by bus, but in really large cities, that might be tougher.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before. You can't buy prepared (which apparently means heated) foods with foodstamps. Some guy in Eugene, OR was selling heated food to people for foodstamps and got hit with a hefty fine. His solution was to put out a free microwave for all customers to use so that anything he sold that required heat could be heated by the stamp recipients. Also, a few stores sell uncooked pizzas for one price then add 50c-$1 to heat them. So you can buy the pizza with foodstamps, then pay with currency for the cooking of the product. I haven't seen anyone doing that here in N'Orleans, but once someone figures it out, I'm sure a few will follow. I know why the rules exist, but for the worst off, it can truly hurt. I think fines should be for stores that sell things like alcohol for foodstamps. Better to word the rule that you can't buy restaurant food than to disallow heat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    When I was still working and living in Sacramento, I worked in a lot of neighborhoods that had a liquor/convenience stores on every block but no real grocery stores with fresh food. The bus system there sucked and the trains were not in the poorer areas for the most part so it was really hard for people to get fresh foods. I couldn't really blame many of them for not eating healthy. Unfortunately, it was also really hard to do urban farms there because of the zoning laws. Things were getting a little better when we moved as they were finally allowing laying hens.

I think things here in the Bay Area are a little better as the public transit is better for the most part. I have to admit that I do not spend much time in many of the inner city areas and usually I drive through Oakland as quickly as possible to get to Berkley, but I see more small grocers here. There are a lot more farmer's markets here, scattered through out the urban areas and most take food stamps. I feel pretty lucky as we have about 15 grocery stores or more within a five mile radius, including a Whole Foods, TJ, and several local markets that sell a lot of locally sourced foods. One is even in walking distance if I had too but I am a delicate flower. Plus all of the old/teenage drivers in my neighborhood scare the crap out of me since we have no sidewalks!

All your talk of Tarot cards have me thinking I need to do a little reading online about it. I love learning something new!

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Never would abandon y'all. Too many love muffins around here. And they still outnumber the maggots.
    Good girl, and good on ya!

(Don't tell the paleo police), but after I exercise, I take some of this whey, just to get some quick protein in, not sure if you can get it, or would want to, but yer right a burgers much tastier....

I thought we had some strange laws over here, oh we do, but fair play you do alright over there....

Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    When I was still working and living in Sacramento, I worked in a lot of neighborhoods that had a liquor/convenience stores on every block but no real grocery stores with fresh food. The bus system there sucked and the trains were not in the poorer areas for the most part so it was really hard for people to get fresh foods. I couldn't really blame many of them for not eating healthy. Unfortunately, it was also really hard to do urban farms there because of the zoning laws. Things were getting a little better when we moved as they were finally allowing laying hens.

I think things here in the Bay Area are a little better as the public transit is better for the most part. I have to admit that I do not spend much time in many of the inner city areas and usually I drive through Oakland as quickly as possible to get to Berkley, but I see more small grocers here. There are a lot more farmer's markets here, scattered through out the urban areas and most take food stamps. I feel pretty lucky as we have about 15 grocery stores or more within a five mile radius, including a Whole Foods, TJ, and several local markets that sell a lot of locally sourced foods. One is even in walking distance if I had too but I am a delicate flower. Plus all of the old/teenage drivers in my neighborhood scare the crap out of me since we have no sidewalks!

All your talk of Tarot cards have me thinking I need to do a little reading online about it. I love learning something new!
    I lived in San Francisco from 1974 to 1988. The thing is my life is so different now. I remember the Marina Safeway as one of the only "real" grocery stores. But for the most part, being a student, and then having a real full-time salary, I ate take-out. It was so long ago that you could get a big order of something like pork fried rice rice for about $2, and burritos the size of your head were about $3.50. There was a little Mexican grocery store when I lived in the Mission. I couldn't afford to live there now. In fact, from what I've seen, I wouldn't even recognize most of it.

I think Aeclectic (the link in Sunday's post) has an online tarot deck you can use for free. If you decide to buy a physical one to learn the symbolism, I'd go with a Rider deck first. Once you have those pictures in your mind, then if you buy a deck like a Vampire or Fairy Tarot, you'll know the meaning of the cards even if the art doesn't show all the little things. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Good girl, and good on ya!

(Don't tell the paleo police), but after I exercise, I take some of this whey, just to get some quick protein in, not sure if you can get it, or would want to, but yer right a burgers much tastier....

I thought we had some strange laws over here, oh we do, but fair play you do alright over there....
    No paleo police w/out a warrant. Mums the word.

Sometimes when I'm posting the news I leave the big stuff out because it's just so depressing or political and I don't want to get people sad or riled up.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Fell asleep before posting this

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 09:53 PM.

B*tch-lite

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I definitely won't see Fifty Shades because the books glorify an abusive relationship. It's just a Twilight fanfic that got popular because it has kinky (poorly portrayed BDSM) sex in it *shameful giggles* and full of plagiarism.

But I agree with your casting comments. I feel the same way with Ben Affleck recently getting cast as Batman for the Man of Steel sequel.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    September 3, 2013 (Tuesday)

I love getting meat delivered to my home..
    Why am I not surprised! Go meat!

The Senator from Arizona needs to fold up shop and carry his heroic, busted, crazy, war-mongering ass back home. Not that I have an opinion, mind you..

9 1/2 weeks was very.... interesting.....

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    what i want to know is if they make all the movies, will they put on the scene where he takes her tampon out for sexytimes

solid, erotic gold
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Duck legs are lush, I won't make a meat comment like my erstwhile friend, might think one....

Is McCain really that big a wazzock?!

My thoughts on that judge are most distasteful so I'll keep them to myself!

And they fireman earn their beans that's for sure, fair play to them.