Page 63 of 343 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 63

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    FL was 48. I knew it would be near the top... with so many retiree communities there has been a huge infrastructure built around A.) activities to keep the older set both mentally and physically going for longer, and B.) the specialized medical care they need close by, including communities where there is intermediate in-home care that prevents them from being sent off to isolating nursing home situations before that is really necessary.

Most of these communities have activities going on every single day. Organized card clubs, dance nights, water aerobics/swimming classes for health in the community pool, walking groups, book clubs, religious clubs, support groups for illnesses and deaths... all with their own peer group. The list goes on and on. These folks thrive.

It's really amazing the way they have many of the communities set up to work for seniors/retirees down here.

From my experience in TN it wasn't like that at all. Older people are generally live alone until they can't anymore, then are cared for by family members or are sent to a nursing home. There is isolation at least to a good degree, family tends to infantilize the older person, not encouraging them to stay active physically because "they might get hurt", they don't encourage much social time with peers which is generally the best for them, but instead talk at them and park them in front of the TV. *sigh*
    Not good for aging.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Cori, I always had mixed feelings about old folks living mostly with other old folks because a part of me felt like all generations should co-mingle. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and I guess living with other oldies isn't as much of a bummer as I'd thought.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

August 11, 2013 (Sunday)

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.

― William W. Purkey

And to me, it’s not heaven on earth if I can’t occasionally indulge in something (food) just for the joy of it – not because it’s super duper nourishing.

Yesterday’s food: Coffee w/coconut oil. Beef, rice, tomatoes. Protein powder in goat milk.
    Love it Joanie. Fortunately with this way of eating, I actually find that most of the time the things I want to indulge in are also super duper nourishing. Those few other times, absolutely enjoy it without guilt - that's the whole point.

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Chopsticks, stopped in Hong Kong quite a few years ago on me way to Oz, went to an eatery not knowing it was chopstick only, it was quite a good way to learn how to use um, as I never had until then, admittedly it's not that practical in your case!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Cori, I always had mixed feelings about old folks living mostly with other old folks because a part of me felt like all generations should co-mingle. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and I guess living with other oldies isn't as much of a bummer as I'd thought.
    Yeah... living in the "active" communities definitely keeps them active. And many of them do things like volunteer or work part time outside the community as well while they are in the younger/healthier part of their retirement so they are not completely separated from other generations.

The other thing it provides by keeping them in their peer group is a different expectation of behavior. They are more able to act like themselves I believe instead of when with family where they have to act like "mother", "grandmother", etc. Always act "their age" and within their children's expectations for them. In their peer groups they can relax, talk about their common youths, listen to their common music, go dancing, be sexual(shocking LOL), hang out at the bar even... It's always common to see groups socializing. Almost like teens, mostly laughing and having fun.

I think that the older set really values their time together in these communities. The are experiencing losses, they see friends who are losing their independence or dying. It becomes a close community. They share the losses as well as the fun.

Chopsticks- I taught myself as a child by picking up peas one by one. I was rather a dork. I suggest going straight to food for practice. It's really easy with a little practice once you get the hold right.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    My parents had a Japanese exchange student live with us for a year when I was 4 years old. I learned how to use chopsticks at a very early age.

If you go to an Asian store, you can get kiddie chopsticks to help you learn; they're attached at the non-food end, but still "hinge" so you can get the hang of the technique.

OTOH, if you're not good with chopsticks, and that's your only eating utensil, it's one way to restrict calories...

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Love it Joanie. Fortunately with this way of eating, I actually find that most of the time the things I want to indulge in are also super duper nourishing. Those few other times, absolutely enjoy it without guilt - that's the whole point.
    I agree it's pretty easy to love primal foods. I'm going to try to eat at five new eateries by year's end. Not all of them are upscale. The closest one to me is called Dat Dog, which has gator sausages, turduckhen sausages, and a duck sausage served with blackberry sauce. Bread will be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Chopsticks, stopped in Hong Kong quite a few years ago on me way to Oz, went to an eatery not knowing it was chopstick only, it was quite a good way to learn how to use um, as I never had until then, admittedly it's not that practical in your case!
    Good to know you're the kind of guy who, when thrown into the water, will learn how to swim. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yeah... living in the "active" communities definitely keeps them active. And many of them do things like volunteer or work part time outside the community as well while they are in the younger/healthier part of their retirement so they are not completely separated from other generations.

The other thing it provides by keeping them in their peer group is a different expectation of behavior. They are more able to act like themselves I believe instead of when with family where they have to act like "mother", "grandmother", etc. Always act "their age" and within their children's expectations for them. In their peer groups they can relax, talk about their common youths, listen to their common music, go dancing, be sexual(shocking LOL), hang out at the bar even... It's always common to see groups socializing. Almost like teens, mostly laughing and having fun.

I think that the older set really values their time together in these communities. The are experiencing losses, they see friends who are losing their independence or dying. It becomes a close community. They share the losses as well as the fun.

Chopsticks- I taught myself as a child by picking up peas one by one. I was rather a dork. I suggest going straight to food for practice. It's really easy with a little practice once you get the hold right.
    Dork kids are so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    My parents had a Japanese exchange student live with us for a year when I was 4 years old. I learned how to use chopsticks at a very early age.

If you go to an Asian store, you can get kiddie chopsticks to help you learn; they're attached at the non-food end, but still "hinge" so you can get the hang of the technique.

OTOH, if you're not good with chopsticks, and that's your only eating utensil, it's one way to restrict calories...
    Okay, since I'm making a rice dish tonight, you all have inspired me to graduate from picking up non-food items to trying it with food. Wish me luck.

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Okay, since I'm making a rice dish tonight, you all have inspired me to graduate from picking up non-food items to trying it with food. Wish me luck.
    I hope you are using sticky rice and not loose, fluffy long grain - or you will be finishing your dinner sometime tomorrow...
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Question, Joanie - I searched for and found your tongue recipe, and will make it soon, but I have one problem - OMG, how did you manage to peel the damn thing?! Just LOOKING at it makes me all icky inside, and I like organs and stuff!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC