Page 58 of 302 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 3017

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 58

  1. #571
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,131
    Primal Fuel
    I think you'd fry grasshopper, but it should be easy enough to find information on preparation somewhere. I've never eaten bugs, not even as a kid.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  2. #572
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,966
    I have a lovely print I got in SF of a very large beetle with a knife and fork on either side; the artist titled it Taste the Future.
    From what I've read crickets were a a significant part of the diet for CA indians. And I've also read that for those daring folks that collected wild honey the larva was just as important as the honey, probably the only way that sweet and fat naturally occur together in one food source. Now that I think about it, it most likely also occurred in wild fruit; apple & worm.

    The thing I've always liked about primal is that it's not so rigid, there are many variations that produce good results. I've never been very good about being strict with my diet but I've also never been in the habit of eating junk food. I suppose I could get some amazing results if I just got strict but I like cooking and food too much, the few times I've tried it (for health reasons) it made me sort depressed and crazy.

    When I was a kid my mom would occasionally make beignets, boy were they good!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  3. #573
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,673
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Hey ladies,

    Joanie, I appreciated your entry from yesterday. We live in a world where everything is at our fingertips, yet the majority of our problems (in America, at least) stem from deprivation. Everything is "forbidden" which makes it all the more a problem. It makes absolutely no sense. Do we really either have to be indulging 24/7 or abstaining 100%? Everything is so goddamn black and white and I hate it /rant.

    Back to obliterating crickets now with you..
    One of my favorite sayings is, "Repression leads to obsession." It's probably why every 10 years or so some highly placed "Man of God," gets caught with a goat at a Motel 8.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Oh hells to the no..... unless I'm in some deep, dark, prison cell I ain't eattin no damn bugs!! I don't care if they DO taste like chicken.... ain't happenin!
    I think they, well crickets at least, probably taste more like popcorn.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    When my kids were young, I observed them intent on a tree in the backyard. Upon investigation, I found they were eating ants that were crawling up and down the tree--the big, black kind of ants, I think carpenter ants. I tried some, myself. Crunchy and kind of citrus-y. Not bad at all. I told the kids to "carry on".

    The next time we have a grasshopper infestation here, I'm gonna find out how to prepare them. Do you bake them? Microwave? Boil? Fry? They'd probably be good with some sort of spicy dipping sauce.

    I've also eaten earthworm, but it tasted too much like dirt for me to enjoy it.

    And I've had escargots, but those are an expensive delicacy, so of course they're good.
    You are brave. I think having kids is an adventure that I missed. I'm not sorry that I did, but eating ants off a tree with children sounds like a blast. And I love escargots! Of course, it's tough not to like something that traditionally is served in a lot of butter and garlic.

    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think you'd fry grasshopper, but it should be easy enough to find information on preparation somewhere. I've never eaten bugs, not even as a kid.
    My next post will be some cricket recipes that I found on line. I was a prissy kid. In summer, my idea of heaven was to read a book next to the lake/pond my grandparents had on their property, then jump in the lake to cool off. The other kids made noise and ran around and rough-housed, but I enjoyed the quiet of my books. Eating bugs probably would have freaked my mother out to the max. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I have a lovely print I got in SF of a very large beetle with a knife and fork on either side; the artist titled it Taste the Future.
    From what I've read crickets were a a significant part of the diet for CA indians. And I've also read that for those daring folks that collected wild honey the larva was just as important as the honey, probably the only way that sweet and fat naturally occur together in one food source. Now that I think about it, it most likely also occurred in wild fruit; apple & worm.

    The thing I've always liked about primal is that it's not so rigid, there are many variations that produce good results. I've never been very good about being strict with my diet but I've also never been in the habit of eating junk food. I suppose I could get some amazing results if I just got strict but I like cooking and food too much, the few times I've tried it (for health reasons) it made me sort depressed and crazy.

    When I was a kid my mom would occasionally make beignets, boy were they good!
    I think I'm on the same plane. Even driving from OR to N'Orleans (pre-Primal), while I did have a couple of pizzas delivered to motel rooms, I never even thought to eat at McD's, or the other chains along the road. Plus, I had a cooler full of lovely munchies from Market of Choice that lasted almost 'til I got to Texas.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  4. #574
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,673

    Karma, chocolate cake, and a few more bugs

    Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  5. #575
    Dhansakdave's Avatar
    Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    2,133
    Got to admit cricket flour is a new one on me, I'm pretty sure I ain't gonna be able to get that stuff over here, and to be truthful I don't think I'm gonna complain about that!

    Can't see that salad being everyone's cup of tea and they toffee apples would be far too sweet!

    Regarding the chefs, I liked Keith Floyd and quite like Rick Stein over here for that reason, because they go/went to other countries and they cook some random shit in their back yard, watched Floyd in India cook a rabbit buried in cow dung, proper job!

    Glad I was sitting down when I saw you choose option 'C', just might have fainted, else....

  6. #576
    Goldie's Avatar
    Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    c. Sliced it in half, grilled it, then slathered it with butter.
    When I was a kid, my mother used to make a homemade-from-scratch chocolate cake once every couple months. The BEST way to eat it was sliced warm from the oven with butter.

    Thanks for bringing this memory up! My mom died April 2012, and I cherish my memories of her--especially unexpected ones like this that ambush me!

    *will probably make a flourless chocolate cake this weekend and eat it warm with butter*

  7. #577
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,949
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    August 1, 2013 (Thursday)

    First, a confession. Karma slapped my face yesterday. A big palmetto bug crawled under my front door and when I saw it, I screamed like a girl. I whacked it with a broom, which as usual is pretty useless, and it ran out the door. I had to laugh. I am humbled.


    Yesterday, a neighbor brought me a piece of home-made chocolate cake with a pecan (puh-cahn) glaze. I could have:

    a. Been a good little cave girl, thanked him, and then thrown it away out of sight
    b. Eaten it as is
    c. Sliced it in half, grilled it, then slathered it with butter

    LOL – of course c. is what I did.

    As long as that damned rectum doesn’t crawl into my kitchen uninvited.
    up first.... Karma baby..... lol

    second.... You are fro the DEEEEEEEP south..... No d? D should have been Deep Fried, cuz in the South we Deep fry EVERYTHING!

    third.... rectum hell damn near killed em....

  8. #578
    Crabbcakes's Avatar
    Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    2,247
    We could make an excellent low-budget horror flick out of warthog rectum! Hmmm, something like "The Butt That Ate Bourdain", with a sucking sounds soundtrack 2 seconds off, just like in Kung Fu Theater!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

  9. #579
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Got to admit cricket flour is a new one on me, I'm pretty sure I ain't gonna be able to get that stuff over here, and to be truthful I don't think I'm gonna complain about that!

    Can't see that salad being everyone's cup of tea and they toffee apples would be far too sweet!

    Regarding the chefs, I liked Keith Floyd and quite like Rick Stein over here for that reason, because they go/went to other countries and they cook some random shit in their back yard, watched Floyd in India cook a rabbit buried in cow dung, proper job!

    Glad I was sitting down when I saw you choose option 'C', just might have fainted, else....
    I have to admit, I've never seen a rabbit cooked by burying it in cow dung. I wonder how much flavor it imparts to the rabbit. "Dude, wtf do you feed that cow? This rabbit rocks!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    When I was a kid, my mother used to make a homemade-from-scratch chocolate cake once every couple months. The BEST way to eat it was sliced warm from the oven with butter.

    Thanks for bringing this memory up! My mom died April 2012, and I cherish my memories of her--especially unexpected ones like this that ambush me!

    *will probably make a flourless chocolate cake this weekend and eat it warm with butter*
    *Hugs* for the loss of your mom. I looked up some flourless chocolate cake recipes, and it looks like something I could do. Whole Foods, here I come!

    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    up first.... Karma baby..... lol

    second.... You are fro the DEEEEEEEP south..... No d? D should have been Deep Fried, cuz in the South we Deep fry EVERYTHING!

    third.... rectum hell damn near killed em....
    LOL - I live in the deep south, but my northern sensibilities are still with me. I have to admit though that if I'd thought about deep frying it, I might have chosen that option. And yeah, Karma gets me every time. Better a palmetto bug in my kitchen, than to come back in my next life as one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    We could make an excellent low-budget horror flick out of warthog rectum! Hmmm, something like "The Butt That Ate Bourdain", with a sucking sounds soundtrack 2 seconds off, just like in Kung Fu Theater!
    I love this idea. Anthony Bourdain stars as Anthony Bourdain. In a rare display of his acting chops, and barely recognizable due to the stunning work of the make-up director, he also plays the rectum! (A role that totally highlights his talents.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  10. #580
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,673

    August 2, 2013 (Friday)

    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •