Page 57 of 252 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 57

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I may get some gluten-free bread so I can do this (hah, I don't have a toaster!).
    Nameless, fried bread is far better than toasted...

I totally agree with you, Joanie. Recently, a friend specially made cheesecake for hubby and I, and one of her ingredients (along with cream cheese): Cool Whip... with a graham cracker crust. And lots of raspberries and strawberries over the top.

Aside from the berries, it was about as non-primal as you can get (we very seldom eat cheese either), but we each had a slice and enjoyed it. It tasted good, and part of our enjoyment was the sharing of the friendship. Will it make a difference, health-wise, in the long run? Only if we let the "guilt" about being less-than-perfect raise our stress levels. The enjoyable conversation and laughter while we ate was more than worth it!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Good point, I can heat it up on a non-stick pan and die of Teflon poisoning or something. Or grill it on my cast iron with some butter
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Hi there. Love what you've written today. I think you are spot on with this deprivation model. It's absolutely fine to strive for health, but we should absolutely indulge on any damn thing we are inclined to barring extreme reactions. I think a lot of people get on this healthy bandwagon and get too wrapped up in perfectionism and stress over it. It should not be stressful! I was savoring a nostalgic moment of having toast with a slice of cheddar cheese for breakfast back when I'd vacation with my family up in Maine for a week every summer. I may get some gluten-free bread so I can do this (hah, I don't have a toaster!).
    I used to use the broiler so I wouldn't have to clean anything. A little aluminum foil, some bread and some cheese. I'm right there with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Nameless, fried bread is far better than toasted...

I totally agree with you, Joanie. Recently, a friend specially made cheesecake for hubby and I, and one of her ingredients (along with cream cheese): Cool Whip... with a graham cracker crust. And lots of raspberries and strawberries over the top.

Aside from the berries, it was about as non-primal as you can get (we very seldom eat cheese either), but we each had a slice and enjoyed it. It tasted good, and part of our enjoyment was the sharing of the friendship. Will it make a difference, health-wise, in the long run? Only if we let the "guilt" about being less-than-perfect raise our stress levels. The enjoyable conversation and laughter while we ate was more than worth it!
    I agree with you on the social implications. It's like the whole thing about a couple of glasses of wine each night. I think the benefits change depending on whether you have that wine with someone(s) with whom you have a fun exchange, or if you have it by yourself, grumbling at how the world sucks. LOL (I'm a "world sucks" kinda girl.)

Good point, I can heat it up on a non-stick pan and die of Teflon poisoning or something. Or grill it on my cast iron with some butter
    I'm chuckling at Teflon poisoning, even though I'm subject to the same fears. Every time I use a non-stick pan or my non-stick griddler, I think, "There goes ten minutes from my life span." Then I laugh and use it anyway.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Go eat a bug!

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    One of the closest relations to the crawfish and the lobster is the cockroach. I feel more adventurous already.
    Don't you ruin lobster and crawfish for me, don't you do it...

cockroaches... *shivers*
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Nuh-uh, nope, ain't gonna happen! I didn't make it through your post. Watching bugs in the garden, okay. Sweeping bugs back out my door, okay. Teaching the kiddos not to indiscriminately hate and kill creepy crawlies, a responsibility. Consuming bugs - no F****** way. I would literally have to be in advanced-stage starvation. Only exception is cochineal, as that sometimes slips by.

You are definitely tougher than me today, Joanie. Brrrrrrrrrr-ack!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Don't you ruin lobster and crawfish for me, don't you do it...

cockroaches... *shivers*
    LOL! Good thing not too many guys read in here or you might lose your macho cred.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Nuh-uh, nope, ain't gonna happen! I didn't make it through your post. Watching bugs in the garden, okay. Sweeping bugs back out my door, okay. Teaching the kiddos not to indiscriminately hate and kill creepy crawlies, a responsibility. Consuming bugs - no F****** way. I would literally have to be in advanced-stage starvation. Only exception is cochineal, as that sometimes slips by.

You are definitely tougher than me today, Joanie. Brrrrrrrrrr-ack!
    I think I've watched so much Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern that I've become a little adapted to the fact that folks just eat bugs. But, if you ever saw me don winter boots and get a running start just to kill a bug on the floor, you'd laugh at just how not tough I am.

B*tch-lite

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Hey ladies,

Joanie, I appreciated your entry from yesterday. We live in a world where everything is at our fingertips, yet the majority of our problems (in America, at least) stem from deprivation. Everything is "forbidden" which makes it all the more a problem. It makes absolutely no sense. Do we really either have to be indulging 24/7 or abstaining 100%? Everything is so goddamn black and white and I hate it /rant.

Back to obliterating crickets now with you..
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Oh hells to the no..... unless I'm in some deep, dark, prison cell I ain't eattin no damn bugs!! I don't care if they DO taste like chicken.... ain't happenin!

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    When my kids were young, I observed them intent on a tree in the backyard. Upon investigation, I found they were eating ants that were crawling up and down the tree--the big, black kind of ants, I think carpenter ants. I tried some, myself. Crunchy and kind of citrus-y. Not bad at all. I told the kids to "carry on".

The next time we have a grasshopper infestation here, I'm gonna find out how to prepare them. Do you bake them? Microwave? Boil? Fry? They'd probably be good with some sort of spicy dipping sauce.

I've also eaten earthworm, but it tasted too much like dirt for me to enjoy it.

And I've had escargots, but those are an expensive delicacy, so of course they're good.