Page 50 of 252 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 50

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I love beef shank! I made it similar to beef bourguignon. Season shanks (I guess you could sear them off or roast them first), put in crockpot with bay leaf, peppercorns, carrot, onion, diced tomatoes and cover with red wine or bone broth. Or a mix, whatever you have. Cover and cook slow for 6 hours or so. Remove the meat/shank bones and strain the liquid out, pushing all of the juice out of the veggies. Discard veggie pulp and add meat back to stew liquid. Season and eat! Love this with mashed potatoes. You use a slurry of some sort to thicken it, but I like the way it is, usually.
    Oh my, that sounds the go, my butcher's in for a good day Saturday.....

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Depending on my physical capabilities, I have mixed feelings about being alert at 90 or even being alive at 90. I'm already so pissed off at the world that it might be better if I were drooling and singing Janis Joplin tunes in my dotage.
    I am disappointed in the course many things have taken... but I'm too stubborn and independent minded to give in... so I will either die of sunstroke out in the field of the farm or be the guy in the wheel chair hitting on the ladies in the old folks home..... either way I die a happy man.... besides, there are too many people on my "Need to Piss Them Off" list for me to quit anytime soon!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I love beef shank! I made it similar to beef bourguignon. Season shanks (I guess you could sear them off or roast them first), put in crockpot with bay leaf, peppercorns, carrot, onion, diced tomatoes and cover with red wine or bone broth. Or a mix, whatever you have. Cover and cook slow for 6 hours or so. Remove the meat/shank bones and strain the liquid out, pushing all of the juice out of the veggies. Discard veggie pulp and add meat back to stew liquid. Season and eat! Love this with mashed potatoes. You use a slurry of some sort to thicken it, but I like the way it is, usually.

Beef shanks are awesome - even the grass-fed stuff is delightfully cheap.

Do you like your clay Cooke, Joanie? I don't have one of those.
    Zanna, that looks like a great way to prepare shanks. I was thinking last night that even though I love them plain, it would be good to branch out.

I love my clay cooker. I found four of them at an estate sale for $4-$6 each. I sold one (which paid for all four), one broke (bad design, it had a chicken head on top for cuteness), and left my big one in Oregon. I still have the small one and it's perfect for things like tough meat or a small bird (~4 pounds).

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    No worries J, thanks.

Guess what I'm cooking Saturday......

Have to look into getting some terracotta type stuff, it gets a good rap, will give it a dash in me cast iron pot this time.

Janis Joplin, how about a little Joni Mitchell as well, she was drooling when she sang 'alf of it?!
    I've looked at clouds from both sides now, but I'm too stoned to remember what I saw...

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I am disappointed in the course many things have taken... but I'm too stubborn and independent minded to give in... so I will either die of sunstroke out in the field of the farm or be the guy in the wheel chair hitting on the ladies in the old folks home..... either way I die a happy man.... besides, there are too many people on my "Need to Piss Them Off" list for me to quit anytime soon!
    Men who make it to rest homes get more ass than a toilet seat because the women so outnumber them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    woke up this morning thinking it was Friday and that Iíd slept the week away. But itís only Wednesday, so Iím good. Whew.
    Maybe this is an interwebs time distortion or something, but my browser sez you posted this "Today, 4:02am" and in my world (one time zone away from yours) "today" is Thursday, July 11. Even my computer is telling me that.

PLEASE don't tell me today is Wednesday. I already lived through Wednesday, and it wasn't good enough to rerun.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Maybe this is an interwebs time distortion or something, but my browser sez you posted this "Today, 4:02am" and in my world (one time zone away from yours) "today" is Thursday, July 11. Even my computer is telling me that.

PLEASE don't tell me today is Wednesday. I already lived through Wednesday, and it wasn't good enough to rerun.
    Crap - my ability to confuse has now gone from real life to the web. Sometimes I give my posts a title, and sometimes a date. I keep this journal in Word on my computer, but sometimes I post it here a day late. Or at least after midnight of the correct date. It's THURsday! It's all good. You don't have to re-live Wednesday.

But you've given me an idea for a post that will show up either before Thursday ends or just as Friday begins. "Days I'd like to live again."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Whew! Thanks!

Although for me, as a Department of Defense employee, Thursday is my Friday because I'm one of those "lucky" people who are now furloughed every Friday. Yes, I get a 20% pay cut, forced time off without pay. It's Congress' fault. They're actually not working either, but they still get paid.

And I'm glad to be of inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Whew! Thanks!

Although for me, as a Department of Defense employee, Thursday is my Friday because I'm one of those "lucky" people who are now furloughed every Friday. Yes, I get a 20% pay cut, forced time off without pay. It's Congress' fault. They're actually not working either, but they still get paid.

And I'm glad to be of inspiration!
    It seems like no one gets what they want in the work place. I would have loved to work 32 hours per week for most of my life, but those jobs often came at stupidly low pay and with no benefits. And yeah, Congress always makes sure there's money in the budget for their lifestyle.

B*tch-lite

July 11, 2013

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 08:28 PM.

B*tch-lite

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    I love my clay cooker. I found four of them at an estate sale for $4-$6 each. I sold one (which paid for all four), one broke (bad design, it had a chicken head on top for cuteness), and left my big one in Oregon. I still have the small one and it's perfect for things like tough meat or a small bird (~4 pounds).
    Bargain, cheapest I found on Amazon was £24, and that's looks like tat, gets what you pay for I suppose.....

I've looked at clouds from both sides now, but I'm too stoned to remember what I saw...
    That's the one, classic!

Men who make it to rest homes get more ass than a toilet seat because the women so outnumber them.
    There's an incentive to stay alive long enough to get into a rest home, might get some action.......

Great poem, one didn't realise you were a laurate, bought a tear to my eye?!

Great poem, one didn't realise you were a laurate, brought a tear to my eye?!
    LOL! Thank you. Glad I could touch your heart.

B*tch-lite