Page 38 of 280 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 38

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    What are you doing for ginger drink?

I've been doing this Ginger Beer Concentrate Recipe - Cookie and Kate for a little bit and really LOVE it.
    It's very clean and gingery, and the recipe lasts a good while having a couple of very large glasses of it a day.
    I put a shot of it in about 24oz glass, filled with ice too, and a few drops of vanilla stevia.

About 2lbs of ginger, pre trimming is what a recipe needs. I got 2 1/4 last time and used it all even though I think It went over a bit. No big deal.
    I also only used 3/4 cup of turbinado sugar, because I add some stevia when I mix it... but I think it need some sugar for storage preserving.
    I press the juice in a fine mesh stainless sieve.
    A full recipe fills up a 750ml Perrier bottle and 1/2 -3/4 of a standard 12oz beer bottle for refrigerator storage.
    I use the silicone wine bottle stoppers to cork it.
    Cori, that looks like a great way to have it on hand all the time. I've just been muddling a piece of ginger at the bottom of a glass, then pouring in the filtered water and ACV. Making it ahead would give me a much more concentrated taste, which would be good.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Even bugs don’t like aspartame.

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-21-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hiya Joanie - I am glad that you are feeling better. Tummy bugs sux it a big way!!!!!!!!
    I will certainly be making a huge pot of broth when I get back to nz. I need to flush heaps of holiday crap food out of the system.
    Interesting abnout the marg versus butter. I will so be trying that one when I get back
    Take care chick
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Geeeeeeeeeeee! LOL It's good to see you! You've posted such lovely things about our wee country. I hope to see pictures when you get back home. Hope you and Gwampa and your lovely daughter are having the best reunion. xoxo

B*tch-lite

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Because sadly, Americans, and I am one, have pretty much settled in to the muscle meat of pigs, cows, and chickens, and largely get our fish out of a can called tuna.

This is not the case around the world, of course, where eating the nasty bits of animals is common. Where is the goat penis in our diet? Why are testicles not carried in the grocery store? Because they are perceived as icky poo poo, and Americans are all about icky poo poo. We’ll consume the most disgusting processed bullshit and call it food, but ew, don’t feed me tongue or liver, I might swoon.
    As an expatriated American this cracks me up.

Regularly post all the weird things I eat to Facebook to freak friends back in the states out.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Regularly post all the weird things I eat to Facebook to freak friends back in the states out.
    It would almost be worth getting a Facebook account to read that. If you don't have a journal here at MDA (I looked but didn't see one for you), please feel very welcome to post in Bitchapalooza anytime, especially about foods most of us here haven't tried.

B*tch-lite

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Thanx J - I will post some when back home. Today the gps miscalculted and we ended up in downtown new york - holy guacamoly....... what an incredible experience!!!!!! Yellow taxis everywhere, policemen and women directing traffic, tooting everywhere for no apparent reason, people!!!!!!!!! It was the most amazing experience......... and we are still married and our blood pressures are still fine
    X
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Thanx J - I will post some when back home. Today the gps miscalculted and we ended up in downtown new york - holy guacamoly....... what an incredible experience!!!!!! Yellow taxis everywhere, policemen and women directing traffic, tooting everywhere for no apparent reason, people!!!!!!!!! It was the most amazing experience......... and we are still married and our blood pressures are still fine
    X
    Hee hee hee!! Gwamma, we TRIED to warn you...!! And I used to commute into that (by bus and train) every day...

Glad that you posted - I was worried about you three getting out of there with your nerves intact. It can be overwhelming for folks, even those who THINK they live in a big city. NYC is simply a thing unto itself, as you now know.

Get the car returned okay yet??
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

I think I read once that if you leave a stick of butter and a stick of margarine outside overnight, in the morning, the butter will be pretty much demolished by small animals and bugs, but the margarine will be relatively whole. That makes me smile.

At about 4pm yesterday, I noticed something. No pain or even the slightest bit of nausea. Methinks this bone broth stuff, in addition to being yummy, may be a magic elixer of some kind. It was pretty profound, actually. I don’t have a lot of experience with chronic pain or nausea, so it was like having a veil lifted.

Amazingly, yesterday I was reading a copy of Marie Claire and it had an article on the benefits of IF-ing! I couldn’t believe my eyes. Pages and pages of *ahem* fashion, and then way back in the back of the magazine, the article. And they pretty much got it right. They mostly talked about 5:2 and the Up Day Down Day methods, but they also mentioned eating “only” one or two meals per day. The only way they just slightly ruined the article? A picture of a painfully skinny woman (pointy elbows, etc.), scarfing on a slice of pizza. Haha. Still and all, it was a pretty good article for a fashion magazine.

I was one of those weirdoes who wasn’t pretending to like nonfat milk better. I like the taste of milk, just not how whole milk coats my tongue.

Yesterday’s food: A few mugs of bone broth, some rice made in bone broth, and some coconut amions. And of course a couple of glasses of ACV water with some ginger.

Joanie, I always preferred skim milk, too. I am retraining my taste buds now.

I didn't like butter either, but never bought the line that margarine could possibly be better for you. I used it for a while though because it was easier to spread thinly.

I do agree that bone broth is possibly miraculous. This week I made a mixture of pork and chicken broth, incorporated it into a pumpkin soup that I was making for my ill friend. She loved it and now wants to know what was in it.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    We have all that nonsense in the uk too. They sell us fructose syrup as a healthy, natural component of cereal bars, sweeteners and all sorts. Free range chickens just get to walk around in circles in a yard and salmon are fed on vegetable based protein. Our healthy option menus and food are often the opposite. I like your rant and hope you continue to rage against the machine!