Page 36 of 288 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 36

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

June 4, 2013

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-20-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Re planned obsolescence: living near a lot of Amish has been educational. They actually, if I may stereotype them like this, seem not to like spending money. And when they buy something, it should be 1. Looooong lasting, and 2. Massively able to accomplish the task for which it was bought, and 3. Has no decoration or useless bells and whistles. I talk to my kids about this - to put it in fashionable PC terms, buying like this means you are being "green" as all-get-out (as you are not sending anything to the dump or causing excess factory production or, or, or...)
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Re planned obsolescence: living near a lot of Amish has been educational. They actually, if I may stereotype them like this, seem not to like spending money. And when they buy something, it should be 1. Looooong lasting, and 2. Massively able to accomplish the task for which it was bought, and 3. Has no decoration or useless bells and whistles. I talk to my kids about this - to put it in fashionable PC terms, buying like this means you are being "green" as all-get-out (as you are not sending anything to the dump or causing excess factory production or, or, or...)
    Using the green card makes you one smart Crabcake. I like things that last more than one season, and while I occasionally will go with a trend, it's unusual. My favorite "outfit" is jeans and a black sweater and it has been for as long as I can remember. Now that I'm in a warmer climate, it's jeans and a black blouse or t-shirt.

I still have a denim skirt that I bought in the mid-80s. Now that's a classic.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Goat is good.

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-20-2014 at 10:17 PM.

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Blood sausage - I love the stuff. But then, I have only purchased/eaten the kind that is available in the villages of my mom's birth.
    Seriously yummy. Totally not bloody. I had a huge chunk last November. It gets crumbly as it is sautéed in a pan with fat and onions. Then it is dished up over boiled potatoes. Mmmmmmmm...

Beef Heart Recipe
    Take one beef heart. Cut into chunks. Process in the cuisinart with the regular pointy blade until the consistency of finely ground ground beef. Mix with your favorite hamburger ground at a ratio of max 1/2 pound heart per 1 lb of hamburger meat. Season and cook at will. Makes the hamburger blend so incredibly beefy tasting!! Note - if you do the 1/2 pound-per-pound, watch the cooking temps and keep them on the lower end.

I won't eat anything that I know to be endangered. Or bugs. No bugs. Good Lord, no bugs. No fugu. No hagfish - ever. Never had brain. Don't think I could do dog or cat outside of a real starvation scenario. Otherwise, I am good for everything else.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I had forgotten about basted eggs until I watched some cooking show the other day. For those who have never had an egg that way, it combines the goodness of both fried and poached eggs.

Basted eggs start out like a fried egg, but at a slightly lower temperature. Melt your butter or fat of choice, crack in the eggs. When they just start to bubble, add two tablespoons of water to the pan and cover. This will blind the eggs without having to flip them and risk a broken yolk. They are yummy. I’m glad I was reminded of them because they’re practically fool-proof, fool that I am.
    You're probably right on this definition (and I've gotta try this!), but to add another egg cooking method to your arsenal... What I've always called a "basted egg" involves LOTS of grease (say, after you've cooked your bacon or sausage), starts out like fried, but then you spoon the grease over the top of the egg to cook the top a bit (I tilt the pan so the grease pools in one spot so I can dip my spoon in), I suppose you could also do this with an actual baster. :-)
    Okay, I need to go eat some eggs now. *drool*

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Blood sausage - I love the stuff. But then, I have only purchased/eaten the kind that is available in the villages of my mom's birth.
    Seriously yummy. Totally not bloody. I had a huge chunk last November. It gets crumbly as it is sautéed in a pan with fat and onions. Then it is dished up over boiled potatoes. Mmmmmmmm...

Beef Heart Recipe
    Take one beef heart. Cut into chunks. Process in the cuisinart with the regular pointy blade until the consistency of finely ground ground beef. Mix with your favorite hamburger ground at a ratio of max 1/2 pound heart per 1 lb of hamburger meat. Season and cook at will. Makes the hamburger blend so incredibly beefy tasting!! Note - if you do the 1/2 pound-per-pound, watch the cooking temps and keep them on the lower end.

I won't eat anything that I know to be endangered. Or bugs. No bugs. Good Lord, no bugs. No fugu. No hagfish - ever. Never had brain. Don't think I could do dog or cat outside of a real starvation scenario. Otherwise, I am good for everything else.
    Okay, you convinced me - maybe sometime I'll taste some blood sausage off of someone else's plate to see if I can handle it.

With the heart, do you take out all the connective tissue, or can that be ground also? That was the thing I found tedious, even though I really liked the flavor.

No bugs? I'd like to try fried grasshoppers so that if I liked them I could bring them to Halloween parties. I didn't know what hagfish was, so I googled it. Did you know that it's the only creature on earth known to have a skull but no vertebral column? Interesting if not edible. *chuckle*

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    You're probably right on this definition (and I've gotta try this!), but to add another egg cooking method to your arsenal... What I've always called a "basted egg" involves LOTS of grease (say, after you've cooked your bacon or sausage), starts out like fried, but then you spoon the grease over the top of the egg to cook the top a bit (I tilt the pan so the grease pools in one spot so I can dip my spoon in), I suppose you could also do this with an actual baster. :-)
    Okay, I need to go eat some eggs now. *drool*
    Yum, now I want to buy a hunk of bacon and baste my eggs in the fat. My dad taught me both ways of basting. Running the fat over the egg is definitely the tastier one. The water one is just easier, slothy person that I am.

B*tch-lite

Most deleted.

I found this at wiki:

The flutter of wings, the shadow across the moon, the sounds of the night, as the Nightbird spreads her wings and soars, above the earth, into another level of comprehension, where we exist only to feel. Come, fly with me, Alison Steele, the Nightbird, at WNEW-FM, until dawn.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-20-2014 at 10:22 PM.

B*tch-lite

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Note to self: when you save bones and freeze broth, your freezer can look full with not much in it to eat.
    Yup, my freezer looks like that, also with baggies of onion and other veggie trimmings for broth making. I have a gigantic bag of chicken bones that I really need to make broth with. I buy pastured chickens but never choose to make bone broth with the saved bones. I just prefer the beef or lamb based broths, I guess. I only use chicken broth for chicken-based dishes but use the other kinds for everything. Maybe I should just make it and freeze it.

I like the Recipes thread too - I've learned to make a bunch of things from there.

Zanna, one of my easy go to meals is chicken broth with cut up pieces of nori, a little lemon juice, and some hot sauce. If I'm feeling really creative, I bring the broth to a boil, turn off the heat, then drop a raw egg in it, stirring slowly while the egg breaks apart and cooks in the broth. It always feels so wholesome, and it tastes delicious.

B*tch-lite