Page 35 of 260 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 35

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My mother used to make stuffed green peppers when I was a kid, and she stuffed them with this horrible greasy sausage mixture. Everyone else in the family thought they were great except me. The slimy cooked pepper, combined with the plastic-like pepper skin and the greasy sausage made me nauseous. Plus, green peppers give me horrible indigestion--but the red, orange and yellow don't. Go figure.

I'd never even contemplated making stuffed other-than-green peppers. I really like the red, orange, and yellow ones, so thanks to this discussion, I'm going to try making them *my* way!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Oh, using the red, orange and yellow will completely change the dish! I find the cooked green peppers to be too bitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Yellow and orange are definitely sweeter.
    I don't know why I never thought to go with the sweeter ones. Probably has to do with what's familiar and available at the corner store. I also like munching on the green raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    My mother used to make stuffed green peppers when I was a kid, and she stuffed them with this horrible greasy sausage mixture. Everyone else in the family thought they were great except me. The slimy cooked pepper, combined with the plastic-like pepper skin and the greasy sausage made me nauseous. Plus, green peppers give me horrible indigestion--but the red, orange and yellow don't. Go figure.

I'd never even contemplated making stuffed other-than-green peppers. I really like the red, orange, and yellow ones, so thanks to this discussion, I'm going to try making them *my* way!

Goldie, I'm thinking you could pretty much cook everything before you stuffed the peppers so that the actual bake time would be less. That would be a less slimy pepper. Not sure if it would work because I've never tried it that way except for pre-cooking the rice.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Huh. I precook the ground beef with minced onions, then add cooked rice, some tomato sauce and various other flavorings, usually a dab of honey too, and mix that all in one pan. Then I stuff the peppers with that mixture and grate some cheese on top of each pepper. The peppers don't get slimy at all.

Huh. I precook the ground beef with minced onions, then add cooked rice, some tomato sauce and various other flavorings, usually a dab of honey too, and mix that all in one pan. Then I stuff the peppers with that mixture and grate some cheese on top of each pepper. The peppers don't get slimy at all.
    Cool. Good to know that's viable. Sometimes I think a thing, but then the execution isn't at all like my brain thought it would be.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

There really were men in my family.

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.

B*tch-lite

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-20-2014 at 10:08 PM.

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Glad the bug doesn't seem to be taking hold, Joanie!

Re the green bell peppers - they are unripe versions of the other colors. That is why you sometimes see green peppers with a red blush (just turning ripe), or red peppers with a green blush (not quite done ripening yet). Yes, the green ones are bitter when cooked stuffed - that is why old cookbooks advised blanching and draining them first. Ever since I discovered the red/yellow/orange peppers were tasty (I used to think they were moooooonstrously big hot peppers), I have not purchased another green bell pepper.

Re the wife vs career model for women: I once read an article that said the government/ruling powers mostly decided where women should be, and that depended on what was happening at the time. One of their examples: the US entered WWII, so out came an ad campaign for Rosie the Riveter because many of our men were out on the front, leaving a dearth of industrial workers. Once those (male) soldiers all came home and needed jobs, it was back to the hearth we were supposed to go. Dunno if they are right, but it gave me something to think about.

F*** you money - I agree. Completely. I have been making this point to my oldest daughters recently - don't put yourself in a position of powerlessness and/or minimal choices just for a husband, especially if you live a traditional, SAHM life as I do. Harsh, even though I am happy and stable here in my marriage, but I can see the wisdom in those words. It doesn't mean there is no trust - it is a realization that sometimes Life can kick you so hard in the ass that it leaves boot prints, and the money is for those times.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I think I forgot to mention the re: per cooking the filling for stuffed peppers using the red, orange and yellow varieties. Once stuffed, the peppers still into the oven to bake (and melt the cheese).

F*** you money - yeah, need to have it. When I got divorced, I had nothing and had to scrape my way into a decent career. It was awful having to rely on someone who hated me to provide for the kids. Now, anything he provides goes into the bank for the kids and I can handle things for myself. Tough lesson to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Glad the bug doesn't seem to be taking hold, Joanie!

Re the green bell peppers - they are unripe versions of the other colors. That is why you sometimes see green peppers with a red blush (just turning ripe), or red peppers with a green blush (not quite done ripening yet). Yes, the green ones are bitter when cooked stuffed - that is why old cookbooks advised blanching and draining them first. Ever since I discovered the red/yellow/orange peppers were tasty (I used to think they were moooooonstrously big hot peppers), I have not purchased another green bell pepper.

Re the wife vs career model for women: I once read an article that said the government/ruling powers mostly decided where women should be, and that depended on what was happening at the time. One of their examples: the US entered WWII, so out came an ad campaign for Rosie the Riveter because many of our men were out on the front, leaving a dearth of industrial workers. Once those (male) soldiers all came home and needed jobs, it was back to the hearth we were supposed to go. Dunno if they are right, but it gave me something to think about.

F*** you money - I agree. Completely. I have been making this point to my oldest daughters recently - don't put yourself in a position of powerlessness and/or minimal choices just for a husband, especially if you live a traditional, SAHM life as I do. Harsh, even though I am happy and stable here in my marriage, but I can see the wisdom in those words. It doesn't mean there is no trust - it is a realization that sometimes Life can kick you so hard in the ass that it leaves boot prints, and the money is for those times.
    Thanks Crabcakes. I actually woke up at about 630am and stayed awake today, so I'm thinking whatever it was has passed fersure. I agree on the whole govt thing re: women working or at home. Increase the number of workers in the workforce and you have more supply than demand and so have to pay less in wages to each worker and you give more power to employers. Of course I do tend toward paranoia especially where the govt is concerned.

I didn't know that about peppers. Now I understand why the colored ones are more expensive - it takes longer to get them to market. I learned something today - thank you!

I think I forgot to mention the re: per cooking the filling for stuffed peppers using the red, orange and yellow varieties. Once stuffed, the peppers still into the oven to bake (and melt the cheese).

F*** you money - yeah, need to have it. When I got divorced, I had nothing and had to scrape my way into a decent career. It was awful having to rely on someone who hated me to provide for the kids. Now, anything he provides goes into the bank for the kids and I can handle things for myself. Tough lesson to learn.
    I understand Zanna. Even though I didn't have children, I took three years of rehabilitative alimony from my ex because I hadn't worked in so many years. It is tough when you have to rely on an ex. My grandmother was one of the most pragmatic women I've ever known. I'm the goofy romantic hippy chick.

B*tch-lite

June 3, 2013

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-20-2014 at 10:10 PM.

B*tch-lite