Page 252 of 347 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 3462

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 252

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    The sciency stuff: from what I can tell, when on a restricted diet, the body is still aware that energy sources are limited. Therefore, it won't be likely to expend the amount of energy necessary to bulk up while circumstances promote a lower metabolic rate. For example, because if you know me at all you know I love my analogies, say you have a leaky roof (regular repairs to body tissues or from working out). You also just took a big pay cut. Are you more likely to build a whole new, stronger roof, or patch what needs fixing cheaply now, pinch in other ways (use stored body fat) and save for future emergencies (slowed metabolism) or until you can get some more money?

Obviously your body is not an accountant and I'm not a biologist, so this analogy could be totally false!

Enjoy the party tonight everybody! Just remember, alcohol is combustible and so are you!
    Thank you! I think coupled with Dave's explanation, that makes sense.

I love me those holidays that combine alcohol with driving home! Makes me feel so safe and patriotic. I'll be splitting a cab to and from the fireworks with a neighbor. It's walking distance, but no matter how you go from here, you pass through a sketchy neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    I'll have stab at an answer, not sure if I'm correct mind, but simple as possible, I'd say that the body needs protien to build muscle, and fat hasn't got the right aminos and stuff for muscle promotion, and it's difficult, but not impossible mind to build muscle whilst in a calorie deficit as your body cannabalises every calorie it can which don't leave anything for muscle growth (I aint no Alfred Nobel mind)!!

That cupcake is priceless and I'm glad the spelling on that bunghole place is liquours and not, well you know....
    Thank you also! My brain was sort of thinking, "energy is energy."

I think in the South we spell both as "likkers."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Happy 4th J.... stay away from bunghole lickers!..... bunghole likers is a totally different thing.... those folks love to empty whiskey barrels.... and if you don't empty the barrel, ya can't put it in the jar....

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Goldie, glad to hear you got sauerkraut to work. Do you brine, or just use salt and let the fluid develop?
    I tried using salt but got too impatient, so I use Body Ecology starter culture. I've also fermented other veg with it. Fermented sweet peppers are wonderful, too!

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Do you use special equipment for your kraut? I tried to make some once and could not for the life of me keep the cabbage submerged. So after two weeks it was growing a rather impressive spider web like colony of multi colored mold. Very pretty, but needless to say, unconsumable.
    RR, I use a fido jar and I keep one large cabbage leaf and press it down on the kraut. (Fido jars are the ones with a rubber seal and a wire clamp lock-down glass lid.)

There's a scientific study done by Lea Harris, the final results of the different jars she tried is here: Sauerkraut Survivor – Final Report | Nourishing Treasures

She reports that the cabbage leaf w/ jar to hold it down didn't work, but I used the cabbage leaf in the fido jar and it worked great. The leaf itself got a little, ah, icky around the edges, but that didn't affect the kraut at all. I also used starter culture and I think Lea just did the salt brine method. I just can't wait 4-6 weeks for my kraut to be ready... using a starter culture, my kraut is ready in a week, and gets better with time.

I've also used the air-lock fermenting jars and those work good, too! I have clay half-circles to keep the veg submerged. Great recipes, supplies, and info articles here: Cultures for Health
    Last edited by Goldie; 07-04-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added more info!

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Yay thanks Goldie!

Great links - thank you, Goldie!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Fourth of July post a day late

In this space, I had written a whole long thing I needed to get off my chest because a 69 year old friend of mine has gone practically vegan. But just writing it helped, and it would mostly be boring to others, so I'll just post the pics for yesterday.

Because lately, babies dressed as food make me go, “Awww…”

How accomodating!

I only bought six.
    I went away for a month.
    I came home to this.

So much wrong in one little package.

Peace, love, and scary gnome haiku,
    J

B*tch-lite

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Hey J, where you be?

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    indeed. I'm missing you.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thirded that sentement... J, Whisky Tango Foxtrot.... where you at girliee?