Page 231 of 290 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2892

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 231

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Driving from central California to south Florida was one of the funniest things I've ever done. Then again, I have a convertible, and I love driving. It's a huge stress release for me as is changing scenery. I can't wait for the opportunity to drive again!

Be safe and have a blast! Good music helps! I don't know where you're going, but omg so many fajitas and so much good ol southern food. Consider it as an opportunity to appreciate the different surroundings (the desert was truly beautiful!) and people! I'm so jealous!

The MDA drunk: drunk posting warning. Take seriously at your own risk. *hick*

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    The MDA drunk: drunk posting warning. Take seriously at your own risk. *hick*
    I'm detecting a theme here... lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I'm detecting a theme here... lol.....
    20%?

((Whether I was actually legally drunk, meh, I'd been drinking. Why not? It'll cover my unchecked spelling errors.))

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Come to Maine and visit me! I have friendly cats and much booze is available.

Tomatoes - they have DNA just like we do - clingy things that we/they are -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

ď"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Kitties and booze? Give me... 20 hours.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Yup, we do like our libations here in Maine...must be the climate. We like cats too, for some reason this is the most cat-friendly state I have ever lived in.

Nearest major airport is Portland. (I think it qualifies as a major airport, although it's kinda dinky.)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

ď"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Catching up Friday, May 09, 2014. From the road Day 2.

Impressions rather than facts. Like us all, there are dichotomies in my psyche. I can be very social and gregarious, but the flip side is that if I didnít take daily walks, most of the time Iíd be very happy hanging out in my little nest all by myself. I love the din of a crowded bar or parade route, but I also love the sound of rain so much that Iíll often turn off any tv or music when it starts.

And though small town living has usually ended up with me running so fast out of Dodge out of sheer boredom with the fishbowl aspects of it all, thereís something about driving, especially on uncrowded roads that is exhilarating. The occasional times when you canít even see other cars for miles and the hot breeze is your only company. No towns or cities in sight. In desert areas, not even many plants except maybe the occasional brush that blows out in front of you, and you hoot with glee as you miss it and didnít have to run off the road to do so. Whoot!

Last Exit for 60 Miles might very well be my favorite sign.

Okay, a few facts. The first time I drove across country was in 1974. Gasoline was 35cents/gallon. Iím not sure how many times we made the trip back and forth from New York to California, but I think it was three round trips. And there have been trips from New York to Florida, Florida to Rhode Island, Florida to Ohio, Florida to California, and Jersey to Washington state. And of course the last one was Oregon to New Orleans. It almost makes the little ones, San Francisco to Los Angeles (a veritable scamper), and Washington state to Oregon, not worth mentioning.

One might think that this means that these trips have become mundane, but they havenít. Getting into the car with a full tank of gas and no responsibilities makes me smile so broadly that I can feel muscles not often used Ė I assume this is the proverbial goofy grin.

Think about it. If I want, I could put a map of the lower 48 on the wall, and throw a dart to determine where to go. I could make the trip last four days or seven, depending on stops, road conditions, my mood, etc.

I often donít go very far the first day. Twice because of the clearing out of a home, I barely logged any mileage the first day. When I moved from NJ to WA state, we were both so exhausted from packing and all the other crap that goes along with moving that I looked at my partner and asked, ďCan we just get the hell out of Jersey so I donít feel like Iím stuck in some Twilight Zone episode?Ē

But I can beat that. Closing up the WA house was an even bigger chore. And if Iím lying, Iím dying, but we stayed in town the first night. Hot showers, a beautiful steak dinner at a nice restaurant, and hot motel sex put us in a much better frame of mind than if weíd gotten on the road all funky and tired.

Itís never a race for me. Of all those times of going across country, only once did we come close to breaking any records. NY to CA in three and a half days. This was more due to performance enhancing substances (we called them bennies) than because of any ambition on our part.

So thatís it. The feeling that anything is possible. The intensity of concentration on the road, because though everyone feels like theyíre the best driver in the world, Iím just paranoid enough to know that most of us can totally eff up if we err going 70mph.

(long post continued)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Still May 09, 2014 - Catching up.

Random thoughts various days of the trip.

Once in awhile, if Iíve put a lot of miles on the road that day, Iíll pull off at a friendly looking exit with the ubiquitous hotels/motels/fast food eateries that we all recognize. But often, I just make a mileage goal and stick to that. In general, if thereís even one motel, thereís something to eat. It might be chicken fried steak and milkshakes, but it might also be something really good. Itís the roll of the dice. What it isnít is McFreakiníDonaldís.

My car is old. 22 years old to be exact. There is a rise in Arizona that puts me in the right lane in fourth gear. My old baby car simply canít do it in fifth. Iím not the only one Ė tractor trailers and farm equipment also end up in that lane. My impatience wanes. I accept my limitations. I sing. Itís all good.

I donít drink alcohol when I do these trips unless Iíve consciously decided to spend two nights in a given location. This can happen if the place looks really nice. Itís not always the same thing that triggers it. The town might. The proprietor checking me in with a baby in a sling on her chest might do it. It might be because Iíve inadvertently hit a town when something cool is happening.* It might even be something as small as the fact that the pool is crystal blue, but thereís hardly anyone around it. A day in the sun, crisping my skin is in order. And so I get baked before I bake my skin. Being of Sicilian descent, I donít burn easily. I do use sunblock between noon and 2pm, but other than those two hours, Iím pretty lackadaisical about it. I get brown. Iíll be wrinkled when Iím old and I donít care.

*Especially if itís a rodeo. Iím a sucker for a rodeo. Please donít tell me about the cruelty of rodeos. I know that theyíre politically incorrect. And still I love them. They have cowboys. You know what rodeo cowboys are really good at? One night stands. Unlike the general population, in my experience, they give it their all, even though theyíll probably never see you again. I can appreciate that. In the general population, far too many men phone in a one night stand Ė thatís why a lot of women donít like one night stands. Dude, do yourself a favor and grok (Heinleinís grok, not Sissonís Grok) the one night stand. Sheíll file you away forever in the category of ďthings that make me smile.Ē

There comes a point in driving for the day when you are mesmerized by the road. This is dangerous. Youíre not paying attention. You need to pay attention because a lot of your fellow drivers are in the same situation. Pull over and have a cold drink of water or lemonade. Cut short the amount of miles youíll put on the road that day. Itís all good. If you pull into a town with a population of fewer than 5,000, youíll most likely find the hot spot in town without too much effort. Dance like no one is watching. Fuck (if youíre so inclined) like itís the last time youíll do so.

I rarely put more than 650 mile in a day on the road. That really is a rarity. I generally put in less than 500 miles in a day. I know, Iím a wimp. And yet, when was the last time you ventured out and saw this country, warts and biscuits and gravy and all?

A great post by Gwamma aka G:

I think that if you are trying to create a type of food using other ingredients, its a set up for failure.
    This however is just my opinion.
    I bought a paleo cook book recently and it has pizza, crumble, and bread etc.... Using other types of flour etc.... My idea of successful paleo eating is not trying to recreate those CW foods, but learning to enjoy natural foods.
    Anyhoo this is just my 2 cents .
    Source: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1479802

I pulled off the road to see if I could find potatoes. I figured one way or another, I could get them cooked Ė most motels have at the very least a coffee maker in each room. You can cook a lot of things in a coffee maker. Really, you should try staying at mom and pop motels. I found some brie cheese, and a couple of nicely ripened avocados. But dontcha know, I forgot to get the potatoes. I wish I could say that being a stoner is the reason, but Iím just a hardwired space cadet.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Catching up: Saturday, May 10, 2014. From the road Day 3.

Eat MOAR Fast Food!

Oh, my ancestral eating brothers and sisters Ė weíve come full circle. Gone are the days when our tribe tried to eat well and worked to source the best food possible. Present are the days when we justify shit food as being good for us.

ďProve to me that fast food isnít healthy,Ē says the troll. As they say, dear little troll, if I wanted to listen to an a**hole, Iíd just fart.

ďWhat is the least worst fast food ice cream?Ē asks a more earnest member. That makes me sad. Is it really that hard to mix up some cream (or yogurt) and fruit and freeze it? Iíve even read that you can put GELATIN in it to make the BEST ICE CREAM EVER!!!

ďWhat do you think of ______?Ē asks many a poster. And the question is about a processed food 90% of the time. Itís simple. Almost always, if it comes in a wrapper, a plastic snack bag, a box, a can, or a jar, itís pretty much crap. There are some exceptions. The same is true for most powders and pills, though I concede that in some parts of the country it would be extremely difficult to eat healthfully without the occasional supplementation.

A poster writes of the lovely meal sheís preparing for her family and is called a snob for liking good food. The fact that this person cuts costs in smart ways in other parts of her life so that she can feed her family in a wholesome manner is disregarded. Smart phones are surely more important quality nutrition. You snob, you! Put down that grass fed roast and bury your face in a text, dammit!

ďPaleo didnít work for me.Ē WTF? I guess you would have died even a few hundred years ago without megamarts and golden arches. Darwin is surely spinning in his grave. Or maybe heís rolling around laughing hysterically.

Forget for a moment the minutiae. Our fictional Grok didnít worry about it. S/he ate animals, and plants. S/he ate what was available locally and what was available at different times of the year. Even closer in time, our great grand parents still ate mostly locally, and they solved the problem of eating seasonally by learning preservation methods like canning, fermenting, dehydrating, and freezing.

I know itís human to want to take the easy way. I know it because Iím human. I use a Swiffer mop because itís easier than a mop and a bucket of water. I use a dishwasher when I have one. And a washer and dryer. And a car.

In 1954, Ray Kroc joined McDonaldís. Though heís probably just a blip of a mention in business classes anymore, perhaps he should be more than a blip in nutrition classes. In an era when gasoline was only a few cents a gallon and families were climbing into their cars to go see the country, Ray offered the idea that whether you were in Florida or Indiana or California or Arizona or wherever, you could be sure to get the same familiar products if you ate at McDonaldís. He even made a small nod to quality by not including soy filler in his burgers, and the French fries were cooked in tallow.

But health wasnít the motivation. The motivation was standardization (and profit, but every business is rightly concerned with profit, so Iím skipping that for this post). The American family could take to the road for ďadventureĒ while never really leaving its comfort zone of a burger and fries. Why try a local eatery (whatís a grit?) on the drive to Disney World, when you could eat the same meal at McDonaldís every time you pulled off the road to pee or gas up the car? I mean really, these people eat catfish? I could be sarcastic about DizzyWorld/Land, but that perhaps, is a rant for a different day.

Fast forward. Kroc is dead and the company is owned by stockholders. Like any successful idea, it has been copied to death (perhaps to our deaths). Applebeeís, Jack in the Box, Chilliís, TGIFridayís (oh, you thought it wasnít fast food because you got out of your car and sat at a table?), Chick-fil-A, IHOP, KFC (renamed because KFC is faster to say than Kentucky Fried Chicken), Taco Bell, and the huge number of disgusting round discs covered in crap and called pizza. And those are just the tip of the iceberg. What they all have in common: prime motivation is profit. Thereís no pride in quality here. The cheapest product and the cheapest labor. If they could get away with calling cow dung beef (it is after all produced by cattle), you can bet theyíd be literally serving shit on a shingle.

So, the Paleo Movement? Like Atkins and Pritikin, and other old time food trends, I predict that it will explode in popularity, and then retreat back. Because it takes effort. You have to read labels (though in a perfect world, weíd all be buying whole foods that are just what they are, no label necessary). You have to compare prices and figure out how to eat well without breaking the bank. You have to step out of the megamarts and drive to farmers markets and source non-factory meats and other protein sources. Maybe even grow a couple of veggies or some herbs. If you get dedicated, you might have to suffer the tragedy of not being able to eat the same fruits and vegetables 12 months out of the year. And perhaps the dirtiest, nastiest, transition of all in this I WANT IT RIGHT NOW world Ė you have to learn rudimentary cooking.

Itís the old 80/20 rule. 100 people will enter the arena of good wholesome eating, but 80 will leave to return to the lure of meals on the go and convenience. Because if thereís one thing at which we humans excel, itís being predictably average.

B*tch-lite

Catching up: Sunday, May 11, 2014. From the road Day 4.

Random thoughts various days of the trip.

One of the fun things about staying in motels is the great TV. I donít pay for TV at home, and I only watch whatís free online. Having HBO and Showtime for a few days is a hoot. It almost makes me want to get back to paying $90+/month for TV Ė not. And because I always have to do it: 36 months since I moved from Oregon times $90/month for TV is $3,240 saved. So the next time some turd thinks Iím a snob because Iíd rather skimp in TV than wholesome food, s/he can kiss my plump ass in Macyís window.

Synchronicity. I read an excerpt on Amazon from a book written 14 years ago. In it there was a bizarre food experience that included a song bird and covering oneís face from God while eating it. A couple of days later, I saw it enacted on the TV show Hannibel. Of course they didnít cover their faces due to the nature of the show. Maybe there are no coincidences, but sometimes I wonder at how things unfold.

Food on the road and how I cope. The cooler is a lifesaver, and itís a great way to transport things like cheese, HB eggs, fruit, and even some pre-cooked veggies. For meat, though not strictly paleo, I packed some things like pastrami, salami, and prosciutto. I also packed a couple of pieces of chicken, but chicken goes bad really fast, so if you ever pack it, eat it on the first night. There are olives. Lesson learned from previous trips: use plastic (or glass), well-sealed containers in your cooler. Itís disheartening to pull out a ziploc bag that has let the water into your prosciutto.

Years ago, my mother, knowing my distaste for roadside coffee, gave me a travel coffeepot. Itís not really an absolute necessity these days, as the darling chain of Motel 6 (not Motel 8 which has declined considerably these last couple of decades) almost always has a coffee maker, and more often than not has a small fridge and a microwave. I miss my morning espresso, but quality drip coffee is fine Ė Iím not that much of a snob. The travel coffeepot is a delight in design. It takes up almost no room and makes a really decent cup of coffee. The catching receptacle is a plastic cup, so I make it and then pour it into a mug. I donít like coffee out of plastic. :::icky poo face here::: Iím using half and half in my coffee for the trip because I didnít want to transport a blender to make coffee with coconut oil in it. Iíve brought a bowl and eating utensils. Anything you can eat off a plate, you can eat from a bowl. You canít eat soup from a plate.

Tomorrow morning Iíll arrive at one of the friends Iím visiting on this trip. I could have gotten there tonight, but it would have been late, and I have a horror of being ďthat guest,Ē that is a pain in the ass from moment one. This way I have time to not only arrive at a decent hour, but with my arms full of goodies for them. Do people teach their children these days to not arrive at anyoneís home empty-handed? It was a big deal when I was growing up, but except for a few years, we werenít exactly affluent, so Iím not sure if it was good manners or a class thing. (My family also brought envelopes of money to weddings and funerals. Again, not sure if itís an Italian-American thing or a working-class thing.)

Sheís assured me that espresso will be available. Her husband (the epitome of good husband) works full time and she works part time, and sheís taken off to be with me for a couple of days. Theyíre kind of hippies, so Iím not worried about food. A few acres with a stream. One night for a ďgurlsíĒ camping night. Iím looking forward to it.

An easy driving day for me tomorrow, and late check out is 11am. So, Iím chilling out with a bottle of wine. Iíll sleep in a bit come morning.

Peace, love, and open roads,
    J

B*tch-lite