Page 204 of 317 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 3167

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 204

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Primal Fuel
    Today I am grateful for cool breezes and homemade salsa.

I always forget how wonderful and fresh homemade salsa is until I make it. Since I ordered another bunch of stewing tomatoes for next week, I figured that I should do something with what I had left.

Tomatoes and strawberries (not together, necessarily) have been giving me much more VitC than I normally get. However, the addition of these yummies puts me closer to PHD ratios, than to the ratios I normally eat. No big – eating locally and seasonally makes me feel good.

Supper last night was just ground beef, rice, and a good serving of the salsa that I made. T’was yummy.

Liver snacks. There are days when I’m lower in protein than I want to be, and I’ve been depending on whey way too much. Since I get my liver shipped to me, it arrives in one pound packages that are frozen and I tend to eat it two days in a row, then I don’t eat it again for a couple of weeks. So, I needed to come up with a Liver Snack.

Easy peasy: Cook up about a pound of beef liver and some green onion in a tsp of lard. Season with some salt and curry powder. When it’s cool enough to handle, run it through the food processor. Spread into a flat container and put in the freezer for about 25 minutes. Slice into four snacks. Put it back in the freezer for another 20 min. It should be firm enough to take out in square/rectangle shapes. Eat one today and freeze the other three.

As written, each snack has 174 calories, 24.5 grams protein, 5.6 grams of carbs, and 5.3 grams of fat. (There are some rounding issues with these ratios – blame Cronometer. They’re not off by much.)

You can get a lower calorie, lower carb, and higher fat version if you use chicken liver.

I love the taste of liver, but these are easily transformed into “less livery,” by using spices you love, coconut aminos, etc. You can also chop up some hard-boiled eggs in this.

Last thing. You might want to make sure to label these for the freezer, as they look a lot like brownies.

It’s a lazy rainy day. Not much to write about. Rainy days give rise to housecleaning, which while nurturing, is boring to write and read about.

Let’s see what I have for silliness today…

I know I’d feel very safe parking in that neighborhood.

Peace, love, and liver snacks,
    J
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Last thing. You might want to make sure to label these for the freezer, as they look a lot like brownies.
    Haha, this made me laugh. Reaching into the freezer and expecting a brownie but getting a liver snack. I love liver but if I'm thinking brownie and I get liver . . . Heehee, funnier if you put it in a bowl with ice cream and toppings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Haha, this made me laugh. Reaching into the freezer and expecting a brownie but getting a liver snack. I love liver but if I'm thinking brownie and I get liver . . . Heehee, funnier if you put it in a bowl with ice cream and toppings.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I can't imagine digging into a nice big forkful of liver and whipped cream.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You might want to make sure to label these for the freezer, as they look a lot like brownies.
    ROFL add me to the list of people who LOL'd about this. I love liver, Sweetie does not. He does, however, like brownies.

Hmm, maybe I could get him to accidentally eat liver this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    ROFL add me to the list of people who LOL'd about this. I love liver, Sweetie does not. He does, however, like brownies.

Hmm, maybe I could get him to accidentally eat liver this way?

Maybe one bite. LOL. And then he'd never let you hear the end of it.

B*tch-lite

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Maybe one bite. LOL. And then he'd never let you hear the end of it.
    Hmm thinking about it, mince meat pies do include a little mince.... Maybe liver brownies would bring out a new richness and savouriness to sweets??

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Hmm thinking about it, mince meat pies do include a little mince.... Maybe liver brownies would bring out a new richness and savouriness to sweets??
    Actually, I've added a little sweet to liver when I curried it, and it was pretty special. A lot of folks add cocoa to chili. Maybe a small amount of liver in chocolate brownies could add an earthiness that would enhance them.

B*tch-lite

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Happy birthday, dear Bitchapalooza, happy birthday to you! One year old today. Still a baby…

I’ve been reading about square foot gardening. Interesting. I might be able to do that. I also read about bearded dragons as pets. Also interesting, but a bit of a pita. If I screw up the gardening, I’d only kill plants…

I think I might be able to handle a guinea pig. They don’t live too too long, and they’re pretty docile. Ack, sometimes I think the only relationship I could handle right now would be a pet rock.

Here’s a thing. When I drink coffee, most of the time the last few sips are room temp. I don’t mind because I like my coffee a lot, even when it gets cold. When I let bone broth get cold, I make the icky face.

I’ve never been much of a bar person. Not drinking bars, but candy or “health” bars. Small snacks in general. They are stupidly expensive. Vitacost loves me, and I know this because they feel the need to remind me of their existence every single day in email. Anyway, today’s was titled Healthy Snacks Under 5 Bucks. Here’s a sampling with the translated per pound price in parentheses:

• Good Health Inc. Kettle Style Olive Oil Potato Chips Sea Salt - 5 oz for $2.79 ($8.91/lb)
    • Blue Diamond Natural Almond Nut-Thins® Cracker Snacks Hint of Sea Salt - 4.25 oz for $2.82 ($10.16/lb)
    • Mary's Gone Crackers Organic Seed Crackers Original - 6.5 oz for $4.41 ($10.86/lb)
    • Enjoy Life Chewy Bars Gluten Free Cocoa Loco - 5 oz for $3.49 ($11.49/lb)
    • Go Raw 100% Organic Energy Bar Spirulina – ˝ oz for $1.09. ($34.88/lb)

And the winner in this little sample of things that sounded interesting to me until I calculated their per pound price is:

• GimMe Organic Roasted Seaweed Snacks Sea Salt - 0.35 oz for $1.79 ($81.82/lb) !! – I ran that through the calculator three times because I couldn’t believe it.

(As a note, silver closed at around $20/oz today, so you could have bought a quarter pound of silver for the same price as a pound of the GimMe seaweed snacks. When the zombies come, I’m guessing the silver will be the smarter thing to have in one’s pockets.)

Question for anyone/everyone. Let’s say I’d just stepped off a spaceship from another planet, and I asked you, “Of all the novels on the planet, which one should I read?”

From the “Yannow, it’s just pasta” files:

And just something a little off:

Peace, love, and the cutest baby ever,
    J

B*tch-lite

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    “Of all the novels on the planet, which one should I read?”
    Impossible to answer, but here is a good place to start

I'd add...
    The Mill on the Floss - George Elliot
    Orlando - Virginia Woolf (and/or Mrs Dalloway)
    Written on the Body - Jeanette Winterson (and/or Oranges are not the Only Fruit)
    The Bone People - Keri Hulme
    By Grand Central Station I sat Down and Wept - Elizabeth Smart
    The Sea, The Sea - Iris Murdoch
    The Siege of Krishnapur - JG Farrell
    What a Carve Up! - Jonathon Coe
    Money - Martin Amis
    Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (I like War and Peace too, but it is a less perfect novel)
    Emma - Jane Austin (and/or Pride and Prejudice and/or Persuasion)
    Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert

Also, happy birthday
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Happy Birthday Joanie!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.