Page 2 of 263 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 2

Khainag is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks guys, this is a good thread. I need some more motivation to get more local meat (and vegetables, though doing better on that front)!

Joanie-- thanks for clarifying, that makes sense if the issue is GMO.

I guess for me the issue is always clouded by how Russia has outlawed GMO, but I see that as in large part a move to promote Russian/former Soviet countries' products inside those countries, not about the health arguments (Russia Suspends Use of Genetically Modified Corn - WSJ.com) that the Russian gov't has put out... so, I think it's pretty hard to get an idea of what is going on in other countrys' production.
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Hey Joanie,

It's about time you started a journal! I always enjoy reading your posts.

It seems as though DH and I spend a lot of our time and energy getting or making food; we have our own chickens, we buy half a cow, DH grows a lot of our veggies and this year he raised 2 hogs. Now we are curing and smoking our own bacon and making our own sausage. When we go to a regular store we buy TP, tissues, wine that sort of thing, not any food.

I'm with you on hating stores like WF; you have to be more on top of it when shopping there, their marketing is more slick. Ages ago I lived in a town that had several groovy health food stores and then WF moved and now it's the only option. Glad I now live in town that has a locally owned health food store where the owner buys from local farmers.
    Thank you! Wow, you are taking the labor intensive approach. I never realized WFoods was ruining small health food stores. When I lived in Eugene, it seemed that Market of Choice co-existed easily with smaller stores (but then again, hairy legs and Birkenstocks are still very accepted there. LOL) Northern CA is so beautiful.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Urban Forager - it's about time you started a journal! Your posts are always insightful and honest, not to mention the fact that you have a killer sense of humor.

I'm eager to look at the info in the links provided thus far.
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 04-07-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-19-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I can't say I disagree with anything in your post, but I'd use the term "informed consumer" in place of "food snob", although being a food snob is nothing for which one should apologize by any means. Hell, it will add years to one's life and a lack of (or at least a reduction in) the countless possible (probable?) diet related health issues during said years. Own it proudly!

Your scurrying shopper had me cracking up since you pretty much nailed him or her. (Maybe you should give your shopper a name and gender?) The other day I made a quick run to the grocery store and found the list of the shopper who'd had the cart before me. I saved it to send to a strict paleo friend/food snob. I walked the store and looked at the building full of shoppers to whom the list could have easily belonged. It made me sad more than anything, but it got me into the same type of mindset from which your paragraph floweth.... It ended up being a long trip, because then I started zeroing in on items that I could see added to the list I'd found. I'm sure I looked like a loon if there were cameras on me as I laughed at boxes on shelves and rolled my eyes and said things like "holy shit!" out loud after looking at labels of foods that are probably on the shelves of most of the people I know "in real life". The fact that my daughter spends a decent amount of time in a home stocked with those types of shelves was the inspiration behind my "mad face".

I have to confess to a couple of things, though. As a kid, I LOVED Lucky Charms. My all-time favorite breakfast, though, was a good sized bowl of Cream of Wheat with a slice of buttered toast. At least Grandma used real butter, though - Mom "knew better" and was progressive enough to be all about the margarine on school days. Like pretty much everyone else, she was duped by good ole CW but, fortunately, has seen the light over the years. I've had to adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy for when she has my child for any period of time. I learned that the hard way.

I dig the one-pot-meal thing, too. What are some of your faves? Maybe there's a Bitchapalooza Recipe Thread in your future?
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Another food snob here, I too have wondered what folks were eating pre-primal. For us it wasn't such a dramatic shift form the way we were eating, the 2 big changes were eliminating my home made wild yeast sourdough and super tasty home made granola made with honey from our bees. I probably spend an excessive amount of money and time on food but it's my passion and used to be my profession until we moved to the boonies and chefing just didn't pay what it did in the big city. Now my family is the recipient of my zealous cooking.

As to drinking I wish I could afford to spend the kind of money I spend on food on wine, alas my husband's salary just isn't that flexible. But that's okay because my palate is flexible when it comes to wine, I'd rather have inexpensive wine than no wine!

Khainag is offline Member
    Thoroughly enjoyable post!

The bit about adapting Paula Deen, great stuff... and pretty unsnobby? But you live in Florida right? Could be that she is seen differently there... I'm in New Jersey, so I assume that Food Network has Barefoot Contessa for the snobs from these parts who see "fat hick" with Paula Deen. (one thing though... do you need coconut flour? If you need to bind just use egg yolks (or more fat), right?)
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    My bitch isn’t even that shitty food exists. It’s a free country – grow it and sell it to anyone who’ll buy it. But, and it’s a big BUT, do it in the sunshine. Don’t shuck and jive me that your garbage is healthy or better than the cheap stuff at any other market. Don’t put up big web sites touting all the ingredients that aren’t allowed in the foods you carry, while hiding the fact that 80% of your products are or contain GMOs.

I find myself slightly emotionally shrinking when I read stuff or find out stuff about how truly deceitful business is in America. It just doesn’t have to be. It should be a trading of assets where both parties come away happy. I have a skill that I trade for a salary. I trade that salary for food, housing, entertainment, etc. Nothing sleazy about business in that sense. Sleazy comes in if I do my job badly and still expect you to pay me. It comes in if I buy a product that isn’t as advertised. Then it’s not business, it’s stealing.
    You're not wrong on that. Except maybe about this being a free country. I came here after some years of studying Economics. Compare the two. The Gov't tells us what money we can use and requires us to use it. So they can steal it from us behind the scenes. And they've been doing it for so long we have forgotton what free money is or that it could even exist.

Now just substitute Monsanto for Gov't and food for money.

At least for food we still have some choices. I agree with the others that it would be best to support local paleo/primal growers and I think they can be trusted, especially when they went into the business for the same reasons we joined this forum. They just decided to go a little farther into it. In fact, if we don't support them, soon there will be no free food choices left in our country.

Where ever you live you can find a local 4-H and/or FFA fair, or state fair. At their auctions you bid on a $/lb live weight for the animal and select from a list of butchers. Then you phone that butcher and tell them how you want it cut. When you pick it up it's all frozen, wrapped and labeled. Take friends with you a split a cow, or buy a lamb. This is not as good as the EatWild.com, but it's second best.

I buy 'grass-fed' eggs from my neighbor, grass-fed beef (but I'm going to find a different source), raw milk from a grocery 45 min away. I'm looking into cheese and milk from a 1/2 hour away goat diary. It's fun to find these but it may take a lot of driving to get it. (I really love goat cheeses.)

But I'm way behind you on cooking that requires any effort.

Best of Luck.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Okay. My name is JoanieL and I am a food snob. There you have it. While I try to be egalitarian in most things, I find that even before primal, I was a bit of a food snob. Primal has exacerbated it.
    Oh yeah, I hear you Joanie.

I would say for myself I was not a food "snob" but I did try to eat "healthy" (not that it worked, since my definitions of healthy were off base). However, it did mean that changing to primal was in some ways just a tweak, in that I had to get rid of the grains and processed oils, there was not much else too disastrous.

But now, definitely a food snob. So many things I see people putting in their mouths and feeding their children that just disgust me. I should be careful to hide this reaction as it's really quite obnoxious. After all, I would not want someone thinking that way about me. That's why it's nice to come on here with people who actually understand.

And the further I'm going on with primal (coming up 10 months now), the more snobby I get - looking out for organics and free range etc, and preferring to eat my own food than to go out where there's no assurance that what I'm given will be wholesome, or even taste good.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Oh dear, I guess I am going to be the one to tell you what was eaten before becoming primal

Bread with some bread and then some more bread. In fact bread with every meal and as a snack in between. Then the bread was accompanied by potatoes.

If those potatoes were cut up and deep fried and then placed between two slices of bread well that was heaven on a stick.

No meal was complete without either bread or potatoes.

The processed food we ate was more like baked beans and spaghetti.

I am please to report now we have had a break up with bread, baked beans and spaghetti and our pantry is primal.

Page 2 of 263 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast