Page 197 of 263 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 2626

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 197

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Gwamma we all have missed you!!!!!!! Hope you were having fun!!!!!

I loved that clip form 5 Easy Pieces, Jack of course is classic but that women with the long brown hair, she is so great!
    +1 on both. I only wish I'd never seen Jack semi-undressed in Terms of Endearment. It made me sad. LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Long post from yesterday

Saturday, March 29, 2014

The best laid plans and all. Like the good little pursuer of healthy sleep habits that Iíve become, I turned the lights out before 11pm. But it was Friday night, and occasionally a neighbor is a bit noisy upon returning home on the weekend. Still, that was piddly stuff. My brain is fairly used to neighbor motion, so generally, on the occasion it does wake me, I roll over and go back to sleep.

But the heavens rained upon us something fierce. And just like rains had me changing clothes too often yesterday, the thunder woke me up a few times. So, instead of waking up on the better side of bright eyed and bushy tailed before dawn, I woke up a bit sluggish just before 8am. Small sigh.

Some days ago, I was interested in centenarians. Yesterday I was wondering about the whole acid/alkaline thing as it applies to health. I donít have any digestive issues, and my skin and hair are okay, but learning something is better than sitting around feeling guilty that I used the excuse of rain to not go to Whole Foods.

I only learned a little. But I guess this is important stuff since as a culture, we are prone to acidity because of our diets. The next thing I learned is that much of what I love to eat (meat, fish, eggs, animal, animal, animal) is that which makes the body acidic. Uh-oh, am I going to now have to change things up? Am I now going to have to be my own parent and swallow down (egad) fruits and vegetables in quantities that make me miserable?

No, and thatís where a little knowledge can be a goofy thing. Turns out that a lot of things that I like and eat regularly are things that produce alkalinity in the body. Onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes (I eat lots of tomato), nori, curry, ginger, cinnamon, ACV, limes, and whey protein powder are all things that I eat on a very regular basis. And one of the most alkaline producing foods? Lemons. And even before I became all aware and stuff, I always at the very least had a bottle of lemon juice in my home.

I suppose I could get all freaked and start peeing and spitting on pH strips. Because gosh, I need one more thing to count. But Iím going to resist.

So, itís back to good old common sense (unless trying to cure a specific issue). Because when all is said and done, my ancestors just walked around killing and eating stuff. Pulling up plants and eating stuff. Concentrating on the minutiae was never a cave girlís thing. She was just eating lots of animals, plants, and bugs.

Multi-tasking kitchen tools can rock. My Fagor pressure cooker* came with an 8-qt pot, a 4-qt pot, a colander that fits inside the larger pot, the pressure cooker lid that can go on either pot, and a glass lid that also fits either. And that baby earned its keep today by making my life very easy.

*Like this one: Amazon.com: Fagor 2-by-1 Splendid 5-Piece Pressure Cooker Set: Home & Kitchen

In an effort to keep green things in my fridge from turning into black things in my fridge, I searched, ďfreezing greens.Ē Itís easy. Boil some water. Strip the greens away from the largest of the veins. I cut them into strips, but thatís optional. Fill a bowl or in my case, the smaller of the two pots with ice water. After you cleaned your greens and rinsed them in the colander that fits into the large pot, put them into the boiling water for about two minutes (three minutes is recommended for collards). Take them out, let the water run out and plunge them into the ice bath. This blanching will keep the greens from turning dark in the freezer.

Put the greens on either a clean kitchen towel or some sheets of paper towels and let them dry off for a bit. Portion them out into useable portions for you, and freeze in Ziploc bags. Voila! Frozen greens that havenít been shipped from parts unknown.

continued...
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

the next half

Tomato jam. The idea intrigued me. I had originally purchased some inexpensive stewing tomatoes (a nice term for tomatoes that arenít picture perfect) to make salsa. But goofy as I often am, I also bought salsa. So I thought Iíd give tomato jam a try.

There are a ton of recipes for it, and itís pretty simple. I used the following:

2 lbs tomatoes, rinsed and chopped
    1 Tblsp ACV (also can use lemon or lime juice)
    cinnamon Ė I forgot to measure. Basically, if the tomatoes are spread evenly in the pan, I put enough on so that there was a thin coating of cinnamon all over the top.

2 nice sized scallions Ė cleaned, then sliced thin about half or more up the plant
    ľ to Ĺ tsp of salt, or more if you like
    black pepper Ė forgot to measure, so to taste
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper Ė it doesnít seem like a lot, but the tomatoes are going to boil down a lot, and the finished product had a nice heat to it without peeling off layers of skin from the inside of my mouth.

Ĺ tsp plus a smidge more ground ginger
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp sugar or to taste Ė most recipes call for more

I put the sliced scallions into the pan with a little bit of water and cooked them covered to get them soft.

Then I added everything else except the sugar. I wanted to avoid the sugar all together, but in the end, I added the 2 teaspoons just for a little more depth. Stir it all together and cook covered until the tomatoes are starting to give off moisture and break down Ė this can be done on medium or medium high.

When the whole thing starts to look like a chunky soup, lower the heat to medium low, and continue to cook covered until all the tomatoes are mush. When all the tomatoes are pretty much broken down, put the heat on lowish, and continue to cook until (as one recipe put it) the whole thing looks like a gloppy mess.

Once itís close to the consistency youíd like, and that can be anything from the consistency of salsa all the way to almost the consistency of tomato paste, uncover, and now you should baby-sit it while you cook the last of the moisture out to your liking.

Though I started with the above amounts of seasonings, etc., as the tomatoes cooked down, I would taste it and add anything that needed adding.

Some of the recipes I saw used as much as a cup and a half of sugar (!!) for five pounds of tomatoes. Since I wasnít thinking of this as a topping for ice cream, but more as a condiment for meats or eggs, I waited almost to the end to add sugar and found that for my tastes, one teaspoon per pound of the original weight of the tomatoes was fine. Iím guessing that a sweetener would work okay, but thereís something nice about the way sugar and tomatoes play together.

One recipe par boiled the tomatoes so that the skins could be removed, but Iím happy that I left them on.

You want to do this in a non-reactive pan because tomatoes.

I think this would work on eggs, anything that used to walk on four legs, fly, and any except maybe the lightest of fish.

Iím glad that I took the time to do both of those. I came in from a nice walk and for some reason, I was hungry. Too early in the day for that. Canít eat if your hands arenít idle. So I played in the kitchen. The result is that itís almost 730pm and all Iíve had to eat today are two mugs of espresso with a teaspoon of coconut/mct oil in each. Now Iím hungry for real.

The man who brings these has a very good chance of getting lucky!

No one wants this cake.

Vodka lies.

Peace, love, and tomato jam,
    J

B*tch-lite

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I want that pressure cooker set!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Joanie, you might want to try using a medjool date instead of sugar in your tomato jam. I use a medjool date when I make vegetable chutney, and using one gives just enough sweetness + the "thickening" action of sugar. And it adds an interesting taste. Especially to chutney... spicy and a teeny bit sweet.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Hey Joanie, re: acid/alkaline, you might want to read this: The pH Myth: Part 1

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Big squishy hug and kiss recieved - thank you very much...........just what Gwamma needed !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you VH and UF, I also miss you all when I am - er - otherwise engaged !!!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think your hubby might be on to something. My "screw you" moments Chopped occur when they change gears on a contestant for no apparent reason. "You're being too safe." So the poor slob does something outrageous for the next course. "This might be a little too outside the box." That's when I want to b*tchslap Guarnaschelli, whom I used to love, right into tomorrow.

My fave old people thing is in grocery stores. "Let's get that." "You don't eat that." "Don't tell me what I eat." "We're not getting that." "The reason I don't ever eat that is that you never buy it!" Both of them about a foot shorter than they were in their 20s and looking a lot like one another. I always watch surreptitiously.
    Oh twue wuv is beautiful. *wipes tear*

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Joanie, you might want to try using a medjool date instead of sugar in your tomato jam. I use a medjool date when I make vegetable chutney, and using one gives just enough sweetness + the "thickening" action of sugar. And it adds an interesting taste. Especially to chutney... spicy and a teeny bit sweet.
    medjool dates rock! (especially when wrapped in bacon and baked until crispy!)

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper Ė it doesnít seem like a lot, but the tomatoes are going to boil down a lot, and the finished
    product had a nice heat to it without peeling off layers of skin from the inside of my mouth.
    It's only cayenne J, this stuff on the other hand is a bit lively, trust me.....

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Oh twue wuv is beautiful. *wipes tear*
    Ahh, I didna realise you wuz such a romantic....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    medjool dates rock! (especially when wrapped in bacon and baked until crispy!)
    Still think that sounds a bit dodgy, but both are right tasty so, it's got to work I s'pose....

That tom jam looks proper, might just give it a dash you know, and that cake is a pearler....