Page 119 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2159

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 119

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Goldie, I'd love your date nut bread recipe if you're willing to share.
    I'd love to share!

Date Nut Bread

1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup coconut sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch of salt
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    8-12 medjool dates, diced (1/2 to 3/4 cup diced pieces)
    1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
    3 eggs, whisked
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 to 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Add tapioca flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl and mix.
    3. Add the rest of the ingredients, folding in nuts at the end.
    4. Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
    5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bread is completely cooked through (use the toothpick trick to check).
    6. Let cool before serving (although warm slices are lovely!)

The bread can easily be sliced and frozen, then thawed. You can also bake it in muffin tins or small loaf pans, reduce the cooking time accordingly. Both Sweetie and I hate over-ripe bananas, so I freeze them, and they're perfect for this recipe. I just thaw out two frozen ones and dump them in, banana juice and all.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Thanks so much Goldie! Just my kind of recipe!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Joanie sounds like you and I had similar teen years. I got pretty good grades so I didn't attract much attention but I was able to skip a lot of school by perfecting my mom's signature. The time out of school was spent getting high and enjoying nature; either walking in the woods or on the foggy beach.

My mom was Belgian and my dad was native and Mexican so we too had our own version of Thanksgiving. Many of the traditional American dishes never found their way to our table; candied yams, green bean casserole and canned beets. But my mom always made oyster stuffing (I loved it, it wasn't until years later that I found out that some of siblings really didn't like it) and the best gravy ever. My mom was a terrific cook she, always made many different pies and at every holiday she made her family's version of Belgian waffles which is more like pound cake. We had a huge family, nine kids, and there were always friends too so it was a big production. Now Tday is pretty quiet around my house, just hubby and son, and some years friends, my closest family lives in Oregon, a little too far away.

Goldie, I'd love your date nut bread recipe if you're willing to share.
    Two stoners from the 70s. You were doing the ocean, I was doing the mountains. Those were the days, my friend... (I need a smiley smoking a joint.)

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    here here !!!!!!!!!!
    I'm in perpetual "hug Gwamma" mode these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I'd love to share!

Date Nut Bread

1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup coconut sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch of salt
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    8-12 medjool dates, diced (1/2 to 3/4 cup diced pieces)
    1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
    3 eggs, whisked
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 to 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Add tapioca flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl and mix.
    3. Add the rest of the ingredients, folding in nuts at the end.
    4. Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
    5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bread is completely cooked through (use the toothpick trick to check).
    6. Let cool before serving (although warm slices are lovely!)

The bread can easily be sliced and frozen, then thawed. You can also bake it in muffin tins or small loaf pans, reduce the cooking time accordingly. Both Sweetie and I hate over-ripe bananas, so I freeze them, and they're perfect for this recipe. I just thaw out two frozen ones and dump them in, banana juice and all.
    Thanks so much Goldie! Just my kind of recipe!
    Goldie, that looks delicious! Thank you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

November 17, 2013 (Sunday)

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 02-26-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I tried looking it up on google and I don't know if I am spelling it wrong or Kuva got shortened from the original name at some point but I could not find it. My family are actually Germans from Russia(fascinating history lesson if you are interested) I noticed that some of our food is little different from traditional German food, especially our sauerkraut. Kuva is a crust of sweet yeast dough with a filling of evaporated milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese and eggs. The dough is like a pie crust but thicker and the filling is poured into that and usually topped with dried fruit. I used to make it gluten free but I don't think I could get the texture of the filling right with non-dairy products as replicating the cottage cheese and cream cheese doesn't work. I tried gelatin once and the texture is not right.
    Round pan, or made in a rectangular pan?? My Oma makes both kinds, and the one you describe would be made in a rectangular pan at her house (central Germany - northern Hessen). There are milk products over there that are just now in the 21st century making their way into US markets, so I suspect the cottage cheese might have been a substitution. You have me curious!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    PRAY-leen. No silly tshirt, just real clothing. But with a mint julep as a hand accessory. Had to look up Hand Grenade from your post a few weeks ago as I had never heard of it - oh blarff - hell no!

I was in elementary school in the 70s, rocking it with the Southern Baptists at ice cream socials and those Sundays where the member family got a prize for the most visitors they could hogtie and bring to church on certain Sundays. Lots of us kids crammed into the back of somebody's station wagon, no seat belts, no worries.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Round pan, or made in a rectangular pan?? My Oma makes both kinds, and the one you describe would be made in a rectangular pan at her house (central Germany - northern Hessen). There are milk products over there that are just now in the 21st century making their way into US markets, so I suspect the cottage cheese might have been a substitution. You have me curious!
    They were usually round, made in pie tins. If she ran out of pie tins, she would make in rectangular baking dishes. She easily made 10-20 of them for Thanksgiving. I have a feeling that cottage cheese may have been substituted in at some point for farmers cheese. That branch of my family had settled in what is now the Ukraine and ended up in Jud, North Dakota so lots of dairy would have been available. I got the recipe I have from watching her and writing down approximations of what she put into it. I had perfected it after a few test batches. I wish I had gotten more of her recipes. Most of it I couldn't eat today because of the wheat but fried bread stuffed with hamburger or cottage cheese with green onion were so yummy!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Family history is fascinating. We all know from Princess Bride not to mess with Sicilians! I am sure there are some great back stories!
    Inconcieeeevable!

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Classic flick, the iocaine powder didn't do him any favours tho....

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I agreed about the black and white thing. As I have gotten older, I have found that there is very little that is not at least a little gray. I wasted too much of my time yesterday with someone who, in my opinion, comes across as that rabid uneducated yokel that has no comprehehension when it comes to reading. "If you point out the problems with what I wrote then you must be a God hating liberal commie that sits on your couch all day living off the gubbment" is a standard response to anyone who has a slight disagreement with his fearmongering. It must hurt their souls to be so filled with hate and fear of anything different.

You are right, What is the thing with fruit around here lately? I will have a serving or two sometimes when there is something good in season but pounds of it, everyday? No thank you!

Figs, a little bit of a sharp cheese like a maytag bleu wrapped in a salty cured meat is also pretty tasty!
    I hear you on the grey/moderate area. Seems everyone is either an extremist or they are "wishywashy" or "sad because you feel you can't trust anyone" (seriously I don't understand that one at all).