Page 118 of 294 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 2939

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 118

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nostalgia...

My grandmother used to make the BEST date nut bread. Unfortunately, her recipes disappeared when she died. I wouldn't be surprised if she winged the recipe, anyway.

But the good news is, I've found a primal recipe that I altered, and it tastes just as good as hers! I kind of felt her spirit as I winged the recipe, trying to duplicate hers. That has to be the only reason it came out as good as it did.

*off to have a slice of date nut bread*

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    J you have provoked more memories than one about my darling Nana. Her name was may and she had the biggest bosums you have ever seen. She stored all her jewellery and nacky nicks in boxes. The best fun was opening and shutting these little boxes to see what was in the next. Fun times...........
    Guess what i store ALOT of my shit in........ Boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have them everywhere....i can feel a song coming on
    .... Big ones, small ones, ones as big as your head........ Oh i've got a lovely bunch of boxes, here are they are all sanding in a row.........
    G, my gran let me play in her jewelry boxes also! I love your song.

Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Every year until I was in my 30s we would go to my Great Aunt Elsie's for an amazing German feast. No offense to the Italians but you have not seen a feast like a German meal. All the German relatives would bring all their homemade goodness. There is a German coffee cake called Kuva that is like a sweet roll married a cheese cake that is what angels eat.

I started doing Thanksgiving for my family when Aunt Elsie got too sick to cook anymore and much of her generation had passed on. I have lots of food but nothing like those meals. And sadly, because of my gluten and dairy issues, Kuva is thing of the past for me but I have my memories!

I would like to have one politician say they are doing something for the good of the people and actually f'ing mean it! I would make a Kuva for them.

BART sucks! How is it that no one read the contract being proposed since July? Have the balls to admit you f'ed up and don't blame some poor temp from July. LAME!
    No offense taken. I love all the different customs and foods handed down from our grandparents, aunts, etc. I hope these don't get lost as we all get homogenized and shop at chain grocery stores, etc. Fortunately, I think there's a bit of a push culturally to bring some of those recipes back.

I'm going to google Kuva and see if it's able to be primal-ized.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Nostalgia...

My grandmother used to make the BEST date nut bread. Unfortunately, her recipes disappeared when she died. I wouldn't be surprised if she winged the recipe, anyway.

But the good news is, I've found a primal recipe that I altered, and it tastes just as good as hers! I kind of felt her spirit as I winged the recipe, trying to duplicate hers. That has to be the only reason it came out as good as it did.

*off to have a slice of date nut bread*
    They are always with us. On the rare occasions my grandmother would try a new recipe, she would jot it down on a piece of note paper that invariably got plunked into a puddle of water or oil on the counter. She'd toss them, then just cook from memory. (She also taught herself to play piano after only one lesson.) So, there are no written recipes from her either.

It's awesome that you could duplicate hers!

To the women who came before us and their culinary gifts!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I tried looking it up on google and I don't know if I am spelling it wrong or Kuva got shortened from the original name at some point but I could not find it. My family are actually Germans from Russia(fascinating history lesson if you are interested) I noticed that some of our food is little different from traditional German food, especially our sauerkraut. Kuva is a crust of sweet yeast dough with a filling of evaporated milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese and eggs. The dough is like a pie crust but thicker and the filling is poured into that and usually topped with dried fruit. I used to make it gluten free but I don't think I could get the texture of the filling right with non-dairy products as replicating the cottage cheese and cream cheese doesn't work. I tried gelatin once and the texture is not right.

Ok, more than you ever wanted to know about kuchen or Kuva in my family. Germans from Russia Heritage Collection

It is interesting how each families recipes are a little different.

V, I couldn't find it either. But, I think that knowing the ingredients and searching other recipes, I might be able to make something like it. Here are two pages of images if you want to check them out and see if any look like your aunt's:

https://www.google.com/search?q=germ...w=1366&bih=624
    https://www.google.com/search?q=russ...w=1366&bih=624

I'd love to hear how you and yours got here! Though Sicilian as far back as the eye can see, one side of my family got here coming through Ellis Island, and the other side came in through Mexico. Pretty direct routes with not a lot of adventure that I know of.

ETA: Oops was typing while you posted. Going to check out link.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 11-17-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: and again for spelling
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

On my Dad's side we came here because of the mean Russian Czars. They were farmers, ministers and doctors.

On my Mom's side, I have traced family to the Anne, the second ship to land at Plymouth after the Mayflower and another branch to a Dutch Settlement in what is Brooklyn today. That ancestor eventually went to Sleepy Hollow as an endentured servant and helped build the original church there in the mid 1600s. My husband and I had relatives in Ipswich at the same time around the time it was founded. I had a relative that went around accusing people of being witches when he was drunk and my husband had relatives accused of being witches. My relative was run out of town, leaving his wife and children, never to be heard of again. I guess the witches got him. Genealogy is so fun! I am also directly related to the first published female author in the New World, Anne Bradstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

I'd love to hear how you and yours got here! Though Sicilian as far back as the eye can see, one side of my family got here coming through Ellis Island, and the other side came in through Mexico. Pretty direct routes with not a lot of adventure that I know of.
    Family history is fascinating. We all know from Princess Bride not to mess with Sicilians! I am sure there are some great back stories!

V, if kuchen is basically the same as kuva, it looks divine. Lots of sugar though! Which is part of the reason it's so yummy, I'm sure.

We were laborers and cooks. My great grandfather was a coal miner in VA before moving his family to Brooklyn to work as a stone mason. My grandmother remembered that when the siren would sound indicating a cave in, my great grandmother would go to her knees, pull the rosary beads out of her apron pocket, and start praying. It's no wonder they moved. I don't know a lot about my father's side, but they mostly did food, from push carts to cooking in restaurants.

There was one police officer in my family. He took early retirement rather than getting penalized for excessive force. As far as I know, no one was connected in any big way.

B*tch-lite

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Joanie sounds like you and I had similar teen years. I got pretty good grades so I didn't attract much attention but I was able to skip a lot of school by perfecting my mom's signature. The time out of school was spent getting high and enjoying nature; either walking in the woods or on the foggy beach.

My mom was Belgian and my dad was native and Mexican so we too had our own version of Thanksgiving. Many of the traditional American dishes never found their way to our table; candied yams, green bean casserole and canned beets. But my mom always made oyster stuffing (I loved it, it wasn't until years later that I found out that some of siblings really didn't like it) and the best gravy ever. My mom was a terrific cook she, always made many different pies and at every holiday she made her family's version of Belgian waffles which is more like pound cake. We had a huge family, nine kids, and there were always friends too so it was a big production. Now Tday is pretty quiet around my house, just hubby and son, and some years friends, my closest family lives in Oregon, a little too far away.

Goldie, I'd love your date nut bread recipe if you're willing to share.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

To the women who came before us and their culinary gifts!
    here here !!!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....