Page 103 of 347 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3468

Thread: B*tchapalooza 2013 page 103

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    I think 90 + 20 =100 is new math, especially when presented with attitude.

The moon thing is very interesting.

I tried quilting once. I am not good at that kind tedious detail work, which is why I failed at crocheting and seed beading. Metalworking, on the other hand, rocks because you get to cut metal, hammer and melt stuff. Enameling is fun for the same reason, melting glass is amazing!

I think that, based on some of the posts around here lately, that there have been very frequent full moons around here. Maybe daily.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm posting this early because I had trouble sleeping last night, and I think I'll probably eat supper soon then hit my bed to catch up.

Is it Primal? A silly look at the Primal Roadmap (for those who think a blueprint is too vague).

Rather than learning food by food what is Primal, I thought I’d take a look at the thought processes one might use so one doesn’t have to search MDA every time they try a new food. There are, after all, millions of species on the planet, so searching every time you try a new one could take up a substantial portion of your life.

Animals. Did it used to breathe air or swim in water? Yes. Good. If no, it’s not an animal. If it’s also not a plant, for heaven’s sake, don’t eat it!

Has anything besides separating it into pieces (steaks, fillets, head off) been done to it? If yes, we have to look at what’s been done.

Has it been substantially modified from its original form, and if so, how? IOW, if it’s been pulverized, had pink slime and pink dye added, shoved into some lab-created casing, and the label has a string of ingredients that didn’t used to breathe air or swim in water, it’s probably not Primal. OTOH, if it’s been pulverized, mixed with spices, put into casings made from real live intestine, then hung in a cave for 180 days, it could very well be primal. Both are called sausages, but not all sausages are created equal.

What is its packaging? Butcher paper? Probably primal. Plastic wrap and styrofoam? Not the best, but it’s still probably primal.

Does it come in a can or a jar? Now you’ve got to start using your brain. I swear to whatever that we all have one. Sometimes they just get as flabby as my ass can get if I don’t walk for a few months. There will be a label on the can or jar. Always read the label. Always, because a company can change an ingredient in a product you’ve checked in the past, and you won’t know it unless you’re vigilant. Which takes us back to: did the ingredients used to breathe air or swim? Do the ingredients read like food (primal) or chemicals (not primal)? Does the word “soy” appear? How ‘bout the word “hydrogenated?” Those things aren’t primal.

“Mechanically separated,” OTOH, might sound creepy (I wouldn’t want it done to me), but it isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Does it come in a box? A plastic bag? Okay, I can almost guarandamntee you that with the exception of jerky, if you’ve found animal product in a box or plastic bag (like a chips bag, not the plastic bags in which whole chickens are sometimes packed), it’s not likely it’s Primal. Again, we’re talking common sense – the 18 pack of lobster tails at Costco is Primal even though it’s in a box. But if you run across something where all you have to do is add water, and the powder in the box magickly becomes a whole chicken dinner, check the ingredients because crap like that doesn’t happen without a lot of manipulation. The same goes for anything that comes in a tray where you peel back the plastic and have an entire meal after three minutes in the microwave.

Another couple of things I find useful:

Have you seen a TV commercial for it? It’s probably not Primal. This most likely won’t be the case in the future, as non-processed foods become more popular. But for right now, it’s a pretty good guide. Think about it – when was the last time you saw a national commercial for fresh organic strawberries? Or grass fed steaks? Nope, it’s lunch meats, cereals, candy-yogurt-type food product, processed cheese, etc. Occasionally one of the “councils” like the Egg Council or Beef Council will run ads (remember pork, the “Other White Meat?”) but that’s a little different than a specific brand.

How far from the original animal is it? General butchery? Fine. Most of us can’t fit a whole cow into the back of the car, and butchering is a skill. Nothing wrong with wanting our animals cut into beautiful cuts of meat.

Was it ground? This is lesser to whole meat cuts. People cite the basic reason as the fact that ground meat can come from more than one animal, while a steak will always be from the one beast. But, if you trust your source, ground beef is primal.

However, in a large grocery store, once the product is ground, you need to be aware that “they” can hide stuff in it. The more they hide, the freakier the packaging, and the farther you get from Primal. A perfect example is my pet peeve, and the thing that ultimately led me to primal: pink slime in ground beef.

Hopefully, now you’ll always know if animals and their byproducts are primal, or at least 90% of the time.

Plants are even easier. Almost all plants are primal. Exceptions are grains and legumes. Or you can ask yourself, “Does this have to be pulverized or do I have to soak the shit out of it in order for it to be palatable?” If the answer is yes, it’s probably not primal.

Apply most of those same principles to everything you buy, and you likely won’t make many errors on the choice of foods that fit into Primal parameters.

Spot quiz: Is SPAM Primal?

Did you know?

About once every 19 years, the month of February does not have a full moon. The years when this happens, there will be two different months that have two full moons (the second one colloquially called a Blue Moon). This phenomenon will occur next in 2018. Both January and March will have two full moons, and February will have none.

The next year in which we’ll have one blue moon is 2015. July of that year will have a full moon on the 2nd and 30th.

Herpes virus genome traces the ancient path of human migration - NBC News.com – Indiscriminant screwing helps research – so screw around for knowledge!

Learning new skill beats puzzles for boosting seniors' memory - CBS News

If I quilted for 15 hours a week for three months, they’d find my cold lifeless corpse hanging from a rope.

How Do Supermassive Black Holes Get So Fat? : Discovery News – The obvious answer is too many processed foods and added sugar.

Gator Shows Up At Florida Walmart, Forces Staff To Lock Doors (VIDEO) – There’s a video also.

I’m cracking up at that visual. Doors open, collective yell. Doors closed, collective sigh of relief. Rinse, repeat.

Just sayin’. 90 + 20 does not = 100. Apropos of not much.

Monday’s food: Coffee w/coconut and MCT oil. A ground beef, butternut squash, yogurt, curry thing. Protein shake with an egg and 2 tblsp cocoa mixed in.
    SPAM? It's pork shoulder.... thus primal.... and LOTS of salt.... salt is a mineral found in nature, so it is primal.....

Supermassiv black holes get fat from sugar? Not if it's Mexican Coke.... just ask a Peatie....

What does WALART have against UF students/mascots?

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    But if you run across something where all you have to do is add water, and the powder in the box magickly becomes a whole chicken dinner, check the ingredients because crap like that doesn’t happen without a lot of manipulation.
    Dear lord... that's why I've been primal my whole life. I didn't know that even existed.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Dear lord... that's why I've been primal my whole life. I didn't know that even existed.
    Hamburger Helper is the BOMB!(sarc off) OK, fixed it....
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 10-23-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    You and me both, wonder if I could chuck some 'o' that into my kitchen and let it knock out a chicken balti....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Hamburger Helper is the BOMB!
    Nor that!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    You and me both, wonder if I could chuck some 'o' that into my kitchen and let it knock out a chicken balti....

Nor that!
    Dave, you and I are innocents in this world of manufactured food. I tended to exist in a plane of cooking from raw ingredients from the very beginning and later added primal on to the top. No wonder morbid obesity and food addiction are real things when you outsource your nourishment to profit-motive entities: it's in their interests to make you eat more than you need. F*ckers.

On a related note, I'm beginning to think the added restrictions are b*llsh*t and honestly if one simply cooked from absolute scratch - including sourdough bread - and gardened (taking care of exercise) one would be in pretty good shape.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Dave, you and I are innocents in this world of manufactured food. I tended to exist in a plane of cooking from raw ingredients from the very beginning and later added primal on to the top. No wonder morbid obesity and food addiction are real things when you outsource your nourishment to profit-motive entities: it's in their interests to make you eat more than you need. F*ckers.

On a related note, I'm beginning to think the added restrictions are b*llsh*t and honestly if one simply cooked from absolute scratch - including sourdough bread - and gardened (taking care of exercise) one would be in pretty good shape.
    You maybe right there, never considered meself naive before, but I ain't so sure now, although my cooking is normally pretty basic, as I can't be arsed to go over fancy as it's just for me, it's generally been made from proper food!

I must admit, I did buy some pot noodles quite a few years ago, only because I was decorating the house and they made handy paint kettles, I was still eating wheat then though!

Nor that!
    I admit to eating HH when I was a teen.... mostly because it was cheap and my family was broke, so we made do with what we could afford. Though, we were poorer when I was even younger and I remember times when we would eat pinto beans and cornbread a couple of times a week because it was waaaaay cheap..... I haven't touched the stuff in years though (HH, I mean) I grew pinto beans a couple of years ago....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I think 90 + 20 =100 is new math, especially when presented with attitude.

The moon thing is very interesting.

I tried quilting once. I am not good at that kind tedious detail work, which is why I failed at crocheting and seed beading. Metalworking, on the other hand, rocks because you get to cut metal, hammer and melt stuff. Enameling is fun for the same reason, melting glass is amazing!

I think that, based on some of the posts around here lately, that there have been very frequent full moons around here. Maybe daily.
    LOL on Math with Attitude! I once put my heart and soul into crocheting a denim jacket. It got stolen. I never picked up another needle. Drama queen teenager was I.

Daily full moons on MDA. I like it. hahaha

SPAM? It's pork shoulder.... thus primal.... and LOTS of salt.... salt is a mineral found in nature, so it is primal.....

Supermassiv black holes get fat from sugar? Not if it's Mexican Coke.... just ask a Peatie....

What does WALART have against UF students/mascots?
    I agree on the SPAM. If store-bought bacon is primal, then so is SPAM. Now if only they'd put it in a bpa-free can, I could eat it more than a few times a year.

Silly gator wandered off before Animal Control even got there.

Hamburger Helper is the BOMB!(sarc off) OK, fixed it....
    HH is pretty close to what's available. They have tuna helper also. Yikes!

Nor that!

I figure that if they're creating "meat" in a lab, it's only a matter of time before it's Instant Supper All the Time. Badgergirl, I agree with you about the total restrictions (barring specific sensitivities and allergies). I think if people just stop eating cereal for breakfast, bread for lunch, and pasta for supper so much, many health probs would go away. It's putting that stuff as the base of any health pyramid that's killing us. Sopping up the butter from escargot with a small piece of sourdough isn't going to kill most of us.

You maybe right there, never considered meself naive before, but I ain't so sure now, although my cooking is normally pretty basic, as I can't be arsed to go over fancy as it's just for me, it's generally been made from proper food!

I must admit, I did buy some pot noodles quite a few years ago, only because I was decorating the house and they made handy paint kettles, I was still eating wheat then though!
    I admit to eating HH when I was a teen.... mostly because it was cheap and my family was broke, so we made do with what we could afford. Though, we were poorer when I was even younger and I remember times when we would eat pinto beans and cornbread a couple of times a week because it was waaaaay cheap..... I haven't touched the stuff in years though (HH, I mean) I grew pinto beans a couple of years ago....
    We Italians have a poverty dish we pronounce pasta fazool. Beans and pasta. My parents liked it more than I did. And apparently they ate it a lot as a young couple with a baby.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Learning new skill beats puzzles for boosting seniors' memory - CBS News

If I quilted for 15 hours a week for three months, they’d find my cold lifeless corpse hanging from a rope.
    You might be better off with the digital photography then