Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Paleface seeks safe tanning tips page

Blorton is offline Senior Member

Primal Paleface seeks safe tanning tips

Shop Now
    Okies, I've never actually set out to tan before, but my arms always get a decent browning in the summer. Any tips to safely extend that to the whole bod the primal way?

Thanks!

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Haha I would just start slow! I hear coconut oil (on your skin) and lotsa Vit D act as good sun-protectors!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Thanks Sweetie! Maybe you could show me in person some time.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    edit: Just noticed you're in Atl too! Hi! *waves*

to optimize D production:
    midday summer sun
    full body (as little clothing as is possible)
    unprotected (ie no sunscreen, no shade)
    to the point just before a burn occurs - then cover up, seek shade, apply s/s or head inside

on days you can't do the above, supplement D. how much is highly variable. the further north one goes, the less 'summer' sun is available. in atlanta (33), in terms of D exposure, summer is about 16 weeks from midmay till midsept. Before and after that, D production drops off dramatically to the point that it's not really worth it. At 55N, one needs D supplements year round regardless of skintone and length of time outside.

ETA: be careful about supplementing D while getting lots of D from sun.

assume that if you wear clothes that cover most of your skin, work indoors, avoid midday sun for whatever reason or lifestyle choice, that you'll likely
    need amounts right around that 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight. I've been testing and 'treating' my D levels for about six years (and follow D levels for nearly 100 people), no longer get any 'incidental' d from sun - so on days I don't get purposeful exposure, I take 1,000 IU per 25 lbs body weight - so do my kids. I also follow D levels for nearly 100 people - family members and friends - and most are needing right at 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day as they tend to be fairly sun avoidant or protective (s/s and/or sun protective clothing) when they are getting exposure. A couple are getting sufficient levels with less than that even though they are VERY sun avoidant and about 10% are needing significantly more than that amount.

Other things to keep in mind: a tan doesn't indicate good 25(OH)D levels. We can get great tans in high pressure UVA beds and still have low D. We can get tan from 'incidental' exposure, early day exposure, later day exposure, and even through windows if sitting close enough - but in none of those produce D. We can even obtain a burn from excessive UVA exposure and not produce enough D.

Topical C preparations offer some protection against oxidative damage from UV. High fruit/veg intake supports high antioxdiant levels which offers additional protection against oxidative damage.

Very dark skintones (think west africa) will need 6 hours per day of outdoor tropical sun year round to maintain excellent 25(OH)D levels. Distance from the equator and skintone are HUGE factors that affect sun and vitamin D production - altitude is very significant as well.

Best,
    Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Hi fellow Atlantans! Another pale face here easing into the sun this summer

Thanks Kat! How are you actually testing for needed D levels?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    We've been getting some decent sun here in the ATL too.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    i thought coconut oil was a tanning accelerator?
    I grok, therefore I am.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    At 55N, one needs D supplements year round regardless of skintone and length of time outside.
    Yiekes - I am at 59 degrees north, and grew up at 69 degrees north! I have just recently begun to take supplements (1000 - 1500 mg krill oil, the box recommends 500 - 1000 mg a day), but as a kid I ate a lot of fish, cod, coalfish etc. I also loved liver paste. I've set up an appointment for a health check and getting my blood draw on june 7th, maybe I should check my 25(OH)D levels as well.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Cynarin is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the next Atlanta event should be running around in swimsuits gettin' toasted by Old Man Helios?
    "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast