Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bras page 9

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    My two cents on the bras and cancer... It's possible, but I don't think it's probable. If that was the case wouldn't thongs be causing groin cancer?

Cancer can be spread through the lymphatic system but it's origins are deeper than that, I believe.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-09-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I have strapped my modest girls into push-up bras for years...after having lost 180lbs, they were deflated and limp like I'd breastfed a dozen babies, and low, because I have a lot of stretch marks forward of my armpits. At the age of 24, that was less than ideal. Now, whatever. I have noticed, though, that since starting eating primally they have filled out a bit, which I don't mind...they'll never be any higher than they are unless I have them lifted but, since they're only a full B cup anyway, there isn't much point.
    My mister has mentioned for years he doesn't understand why I don't go braless more, having dated a girl before me that went without all the time. His mom goes without also having been through breast cancer many years ago although she's never alluded to thinking bras have something to do with breast cancer. She just says she's more comfortable without.
    I am getting into the habit of taking my bra off when I get home for the day, but I honestly just don't think about it most times as my bras are so comfortable. That said, this thread has prompted me to look into other, less restrictive options that'll also work for (some of) my day-to-day...that said, I don't think I'll give up wearing a proper bra for work-related stuff. Nipple-age isn't an issue for me, quite the opposite...I have one that's completely inverted and one that's flat, though it will come out for a look around once in a while, without rhyme or reason (not temp-related).
    Has anyone tried Coobie bras (shopcoobie.com)? I saw an ad in a fitness mag and checked out the website...at $20-22 a crack (although I do have a coupon code), they're a little steep in comparison to some others out there, but if they're as ah-mazing as the reviews claim, it might be worth it.

YogaBare - if you do want to try bra shopping again (though it sounds like you might be able to go without!) try a 36A or 36B on the smallest possible hook. I have the same size ribcage as you (28) but I have to wear 34s and even sometimes 36s to find things that will fit my cup size (my boobs are far apart and proportionally large for my frame). Good luck!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    WellnessMama (a website) is a big fan of Coobie bras and they look a lot like the kind that I buy. The thing that I am skeptical about is they are one size fits all. I doubt they would fit someone as small as me. Keep an eye out online, sometimes they go on sale on sites like zulily.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by heregoesnothing View Post
    YogaBare - if you do want to try bra shopping again (though it sounds like you might be able to go without!) try a 36A or 36B on the smallest possible hook. I have the same size ribcage as you (28) but I have to wear 34s and even sometimes 36s to find things that will fit my cup size (my boobs are far apart and proportionally large for my frame). Good luck!
    Thanks so much! I actually will try it. I go through fads all the time and being braless is probably just the latest
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    I have strapped my modest girls into push-up bras for years...after having lost 180lbs, they were deflated and limp like I'd breastfed a dozen babies, and low, because I have a lot of stretch marks forward of my armpits. At the age of 24, that was less than ideal. Now, whatever. I have noticed, though, that since starting eating primally they have filled out a bit, which I don't mind...they'll never be any higher than they are unless I have them lifted but, since they're only a full B cup anyway, there isn't much point.
    My mister has mentioned for years he doesn't understand why I don't go braless more, having dated a girl before me that went without all the time. His mom goes without also having been through breast cancer many years ago although she's never alluded to thinking bras have something to do with breast cancer. She just says she's more comfortable without.
    I am getting into the habit of taking my bra off when I get home for the day, but I honestly just don't think about it most times as my bras are so comfortable. That said, this thread has prompted me to look into other, less restrictive options that'll also work for (some of) my day-to-day...that said, I don't think I'll give up wearing a proper bra for work-related stuff. Nipple-age isn't an issue for me, quite the opposite...I have one that's completely inverted and one that's flat, though it will come out for a look around once in a while, without rhyme or reason (not temp-related).
    Has anyone tried Coobie bras (shopcoobie.com)? I saw an ad in a fitness mag and checked out the website...at $20-22 a crack (although I do have a coupon code), they're a little steep in comparison to some others out there, but if they're as ah-mazing as the reviews claim, it might be worth it.
    Lemontwist, off topic but WOW - congrads on that weight loss! Amazing

- Ray Peat

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I saw another bra thread on here that mentioned Coobie bras - and then I saw Coobies for $20 when I went to pick up batting gloves or running shoes or something. I figured "why not, it's $20, if it SUPER sucks, I can return it, and if I just don't like it, it's only $20."

The next time I went back, I bought 2 more, because they're pretty comfortable and not as unflattering as a sports bra uni-boob.... but also not the most flattering shaping.
    When I'm a little more size-stable, I'm planning on getting some bras that are supposed to be the best fit EVAR from this hasidic woman that does the whole measure, pick out a specific bra for your size/issues/what you'll wear it with... but those are usually $50/bra, so I'm not ready to spend that when I know I'm still changing shape/size.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    WellnessMama (a website) is a big fan of Coobie bras and they look a lot like the kind that I buy. The thing that I am skeptical about is they are one size fits all. I doubt they would fit someone as small as me. Keep an eye out online, sometimes they go on sale on sites like zulily.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I refused to believe there was any link between cancer and bras when I first heard about the idea many years ago because I thought the notion was stupid. I mean, not wear a bra, c'mon! And the website, itself, even says that there is no direct research proving anything.

However, I do find the correlation very disturbing, and I do believe that restricting lymph flow, which is tremendously important to our functioning and vastly underestimated and an unknown process by most people is likely a major health issue, if not for cancer then for a lot of other health problems.

Unfortunately, whether it's diet or giving up bras, or anything that doesn't have the potential to earn pharma millions, then we will probably never see solid research proving causation; correlation is probably the best we will ever get and it's up to us to decide what we want to do about it.
    I've had breast cancer and had some of my lymph nodes taken out. It's interesting how I can feel the difference in circulation between the two sides.

I am not 100% sold on a direct causal link either but, as pointed out in that article, what if there is? Is it worth the risk.

Personally I don't have huge boobs and can get away with minimal or no bras so I do. (I realize this isn't the case for everyone.) The built in bra top things take care of the OMG someone might see my nipples fear. I think if at all possible, you should let the girls loose for as many hours of the day as you can. It just feels right to me.

happybunny is offline Member
    YogaBare, I'm going to give contradictory advice

My ribcage measures 31". Depending on the fit, I wear 32 or 34 for the band. This is partly because I need more support because of my cup size. Adding on 4" works for some, but not for others. Remember that you should only be able to pull the back of the band no more than 2" or so away from your back. I honestly doubt that you should be in a 34 with your ribcage measurement.

As for the cup: The volume of the cup in a 36B bra is the same as that of a 34C bra or 38A. You said that a C-cup was the most comfortable. You might actually be a 32C but just haven't found a brand of bra that is the right shape for you. This is a chart that compares underwire width between brands (although it's geared toward larger cup sizes): http://i.imgur.com/2UVzC.png

Also, have you tried non-padded/molded bras? Seamed bras are the bomb and have a little more give for the fit.

Last piece of advice: if you are serious about a good-fitting bra, suck it up and go to Nordstrom or the equivalent. The sales associates there know what they are doing and know a lot about how their products fit. The bras are expensive, but can last for years.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^Yeah, 4" would not work for me, my breasts are too small. That sounds like a really weird method to me!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast